The 2019 Garden Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
canning jars aren't cheap...seems like a break even venture or a loss if you give the jars away.  The costs of the plants, water, canning supplies...can't be cheaper than just buying the food as you need it.  
That's correct, and a good observation from an engineer.  My wife is not an engineer!

Hopefully we get most of the jars back though.

The newer mason jars just dont really hold up, we use them for tons of stuff for storage and id say half of them break within a year.. wish I could make a trip to my grandma's old grain bins and get some that are probably still laying on the floor, of course its not in our family anymore and that woudl be stealing, but I bet they are still there!

My wife did a bunch of turnip greens this year, and I have to agree.  I like collards but turnip greens are too bitter.

I noticed Ive got a decent number of apples this year, need to get my pellet gun ready to keep the GD squirells from taking them like last year!

Speaking of squirrels, I hear they're good eating so I'm thinking of trying some squirrel hunting this fall.  Sounds like fun with my .17 HMR.  Anyone have a good recipe?

Rice and lots of brown gravy 

as long as it’s not a city squirrel they are not bad - like a greasy leg quarter

Joi Choi (full size) and Asian Delight Bok Choi (mini) coming in nicely. Stir Fry for dinner tonight. 

62492144554__B81E91B7-34C7-4D38-AE8F-3C1B6B35D686.jpg

I planted a few butterfly bushes on the side of the garage late last year, I hope they bounce back. Everything on that side always seems to die on me.

jaykay gardening = I might try to grow cat grass for Odin. I hope I don't kill it.

jaykay mom side of family gardening = let's get a multi-seasonal garden going, with the greenhouse for veggies, and make sure the hummingbirds have a larger setup than last year. I might rotate out some stuff. Where did the tiller go?

...I am trying my best.

I am a plant and forget sort of person, so drought tolerant plants that come back every year are more my speed. Crocuses, Daffodil's, Adam's needle yucca, weeds, are the extent of my flowers currently. I have a potter on the front porch that will get a seasonal flower, but I usually forget to water it and it dies.
THe daffodills are already a couple inches tall. If we get another cold burst they will not flower again this year. no flowers last year, but green leaves due to a last freeze.

so we started sunflower and milkweed seeds two weekends ago in a tray in the house. both supposed had 7-14 day germination period. The sunflowers were 6 inches tall after 5 days. The milkweed just started peeking out this weekend. I had to cut the cover in half and place it back over the milkweed half of the tray as the sunflowers had lifted it up on their side.

We have round 3 (third year) of tomatoes growing in three containers on our little balcony! This year, the varieties are early girl, celebrity, and big beef. We don’t usually get a say in the type, as our landlord usually picks them up and drops them off for us.

2020 (the first year we did this) was the banner year. We had a cherry tomato plant that produced from July to December. I think it thrives so much because the tomatoes are naturally smaller. Every other variety we’ve have otherwise generates bigger tomatoes (even if not giant) and I think we don’t get enough consistent sun to have a lot of success. But all that said, we’re seeing good growth so far! Big beef is in the lead, height-wise! And all three plants have buds, with early girl and big beef already spotting a flower or two.

Back