The 2019 Garden Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the balcony.

It's not exactly a crowding issue, though the balcony is more full than it was prior. I think it's mainly the fact we got six different plans in the span of two weeks, which is kind of a lot for us (we normally get one or two plants at a time, though admittedly, have never been so ambitious growing anything for food before this).

Alas, the backyard does not get enough consistent sunlight for us to trust planting anything back there.
Having to take care of a ton of new plant babies does tend to overwhelm.  But the balcony does have a lot of sun, so I'm sure you'll get veggies very soon!

My mom grew the basil in the backyard on the deck, which didn't get that much direct sunlight, tbh?  I think it got a solid 2 hours a day (max) and it still grew.  Albeit, much slower.

Having to take care of a ton of new plant babies does tend to overwhelm.  But the balcony does have a lot of sun, so I'm sure you'll get veggies very soon!

My mom grew the basil in the backyard on the deck, which didn't get that much direct sunlight, tbh?  I think it got a solid 2 hours a day (max) and it still grew.  Albeit, much slower.
Yeah, the balcony gets a lot of sun when it's not overcast/foggy. Which, thankfully, it hasn't been that much recently. But who knows what will happen this summer, as summers in SF can often be chilly and foggy (if things are normal, aka not drought-like). All things considered, though, we do get a lot more direct sun in our place now than we got in our old spot.

We've planted the two basil plants and the mint plant all in completely separate pots. The mint got the smallest pot, because I know it will likely grow like crazy. That was the one herb I could grow in my old apartment, but stopped because we weren't using it enough. It took over the pot it was planted in that also had rosemary, basil, and cilantro.

Also, I admit I'm plant dumb, but I didn't realize until I was at the gardening center that there are more than two types of basil and that there were so many types of mint!

Cucumber seeds didnt take, same with spinach. Jalapeno is just barley sprouting

20200520_142451.jpg

20200520_142502.jpg

Boyfriend is building a retaining wall. The lower portion is gonna be a garden bed. Im gonna do strawberries all up in there. He wanted hostas which are toxic to the Moo. Who eats the yard.

20200522_092007.jpg

20200522_092010.jpg

20200522_092003.jpg

thats a lot of hand digging!

Let us know how the strawberries go! - dont they take a few seasons to get going?

thats a lot of hand digging!

Let us know how the strawberries go! - dont they take a few seasons to get going?
He dug out from the fenceline. Where the steps are was a small hill so as he unearthed the old retaining wall, he build the steps lol

I don't expect to get anything from them this season since I won't be able to plant until hes' done. Or I can do a partial plant only over by the steps. 

He's gonna dig out all of that area at the corner. He plans on leveling the area around the firepit & maybe putting in pavers - he goes back & forth on it.

I could plant sooner if I helped with the digging *shrugs* I might help lol 

Transplanted my beans and broccoli. Planted the 2 tomato plants i bought.

Boyfriend built me a new planter since he won't build the 3rd bed 😂

20200523_151139.jpg

imagejpeg_0(25).jpg

And we have our first little tiny tomatoes starting to grow! All three tomato plants are growing well, but the cherry tomato plant won the battle for first to sprout fruit. Neither of the other tomato plants has dropped any flowers (yet), though they both have many flowers in bloom.

I'm excited!

Last edited by a moderator:
i don't think my broccoli is gonna make it

Added a store bought cucumber plants and cucumber seeds to the garden.

still have more plants to transplants & direct sow (carrots, maybe onions).

need to get dirt into the new planter box so i can plant the 2 store-bought strawb plants lol 

need to get dirt into the new planter box so i can plant the 2 store-bought strawb plants lol 

We had strawberries in our garden that we originally planted 3 years ago.  Wife wants more room in the garden, so we started a second 30x40' fenced plot to put berries and fruit trees in.  Three years ago we originally planted about 20 strawberries, but ended up transplanting over 60 with all the clone plants from runners.  Some aren't going to survive the transplant, but in a couple years we should have a really nice strawberry patch.  Which I'm really excited about because home-grown strawberries are so much tastier than store-bought.

My question is, do you have a plan for the runners?  Strawberries seem to like to multiply like crazy.

We had strawberries in our garden that we originally planted 3 years ago.  Wife wants more room in the garden, so we started a second 30x40' fenced plot to put berries and fruit trees in.  Three years ago we originally planted about 20 strawberries, but ended up transplanting over 60 with all the clone plants from runners.  Some aren't going to survive the transplant, but in a couple years we should have a really nice strawberry patch.  Which I'm really excited about because home-grown strawberries are so much tastier than store-bought.

My question is, do you have a plan for the runners?  Strawberries seem to like to multiply like crazy.
I do actually! Lol, this season is just these 2 plants (& if I can get anything from the ball of dirt I bought last year).

Boyfriend is redoing the backyard retaining wall & has made it 2 tier. the lower tier will be filled with strawberries when he's done (which will be awhile since it's hand dug)

There's a picture upthread of what will be my strawberry "patch" 

Meatball out enjoying the sun while the wife worked on the garden yesterday. 

Just wish I could get the phone to rotate the photo correctly...

43BA027C-CC6C-437E-83EA-07D2EF03C1CC.jpeg

And a few days later, all three tomato plants have sprouted tomatoes. Woot! Here's to hoping they can make it to full size and ripeness without issue.

mine have barely even shown any signs of growth :(    

My friends back home are already enjoying them mater sammiches...

i transplanted my zucchini and onion seedlings last night. i need to transplant my cucumber (just 1), tomato, & pepper seedlings. and maybe sow some carrots and/or more onions (i won't do seedlings for onions next year)

i've got flowers on one of my strawberry plants!

and something has eaten my 2 smallest green bean transplants 😬

mine have barely even shown any signs of growth :(    

My friends back home are already enjoying them mater sammiches...
Didn't you start growing much later?

We got starter plants about a month ago. They've pretty much all at least doubled in size.

Back