TENNESSEE - RESULTS Oct 2010

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@asunw: I ask myself the same thing. I work in Fire Protection, and the higher ups at my company asked me to take it even though I think my mechanical PE (therm/fluids) would definitely cover fire sprinkler work. If I get the FPE then my expertise is less likely to be questioned. Also, there are some government jobs that require the FPE. And looking down the road, as far as jobs go, FPE is rarer and if I ever wanted to work in an A&E firm it might get be a good selling point that most don't have. If I get it, I'll be the only one at my work who is a double PE. But, I don't get another stamp or anything.
I work in an electrical/instrumentation design group. I took the instrumentation test in October, but if I didn't pass, I'll take the electrical power test in April. That's only because the I&C test is only offered once a year.

The lady at the TN board essentially told me I'd be crazy to take the electrical test if I pass the instrumentation test. Since they make no distinction, and as you say, you don't get two licenses, I guess it would only be bragging rights. Would you sign you name John Smith, PE PE?

People who work solely in fire protection want to see an FPE not just a mechanical engineer. The Fire Protection exam is completely different from the mechanical. A few exam topics like pipe flow and pumps are interchangeable. But, most others, like means of egress, building construction, life safety, and fire protection analysis are discipline specific. It's not just about bragging rights. It's two separate fields of engineering and by passing both I prove that I am competent in both as an engineer. I would sign my name most likely,

Jane Smith, PE

Mechanical/Fire Protection Engineer
My firm is a mechanical consulating firm in west TN (about 25% of our work is fire protection) and i have never had anyone ask if we have a fire protection engineer. Do you work in a specialty field? I have my PE but have never considered the FPE because of the reasons already mentioned here.

All I can say is, this is how it was presented to me, my company works solely in Fire Protection, and I was asked by the VP to take it, so I did. I do have a colleague and he is a double PE (mechanical/fire protection). So, in my limited experience (I've only worked at this company since getting my engineering degree) it didn't seem so odd. So I took the test.
In my experience, if you do work for the Feds, they like to see someone who has taken the FPE exam. At least thats the way it was at the firm I worked at in East TN that did a bunch of DOE/DOD work.

In my experience, if you do work for the Feds, they like to see someone who has taken the FPE exam. At least thats the way it was at the firm I worked at in East TN that did a bunch of DOE/DOD work.
I was perusing engineerseals.com and noticed only 2 states of the 15 or so I looked at that license enginers in a particular field: California and Arizona. I suppose if a company does FP business in those states, a specific test may be required. For most, though, it doesn't seem to matter.

My results arrived in Gallatin today. I passed! Good luck to all waiting on results, and congratulations to those who passed.

:pASSED2:

My results arrived in Gallatin today. I passed! Good luck to all waiting on results, and congratulations to those who passed.:pASSED2:
Hey Tennessee,

we have first PASSING notes here! Congrats to all who PASSED! I wish to be on your site. I am from Memphis, its probably few more days for me before I know. Past experience shows Saturday for Memphis area. :waitwall:

Test results have arrived in Knoxville....I passed :party-smiley-048:

Third time, prayer works. God has blessed me this year with a duaghter and my PE!

Third time, prayer works. God has blessed me this year with a duaghter and my PE!

Enjoy man , I like to see people happy in your case daughter and P.E in one year , as I say enjoy and god bless you :appl:

Last edited by a moderator:

:waitwall: Our mail usually runs around 3:00

Last edited by a moderator:
Back