Tax engineers needed (IRS)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I note there's no PE requirement. Is there *ANY* federal government job that requires a PE?
YES!!!! The head USDA engineer in each state. Also, the lead research engineers at USDA labs require it as well.

Also, they recommend their underlings get their PE so they can supplement their retirement by consulting on USDA and Army Corp. jobs.

Last edited by a moderator:
The IRS sounds like a perfect place for me. I'll bet they even require me to wear a necktie.

Last edited by a moderator:
I note there's no PE requirement. Is there *ANY* federal government job that requires a PE?
Not in the combat developments arena where I hang my hat. The PE designation serves strictly as a differentiator on the resume. We did have one IE get his PE. That lasted a few years until he was promoted to branch chief where he lost the engineer title.

at the top:
PROMOTION POTENTIAL: 13

so lucky 13 means none? gotta love the IRS :)
Nah. It's just that the position starts at a GS-13 (SERIES & GRADE: GS-0801-13/13), and the promotion potential is 13. It basically means that you can't have this position and be a GS-14 or 15. Which kinda makes sense, because most agencies have a limited number of GS-14 and 15 positions, and are reserved for upper management. But, the high-end of the GS-13 salary range overlaps with the low-end of the GS-14 range.

No necktie, generally a real 40 hour week, and 3.9 weeks of vacation after 3 years. See http://www.wspe.org/PDF/2005-03_EP.pdf page 11 for the type of work involved.
Thanks for the input, atwog. Does this mean you're an IRS engineer? If so, that's cool of you to drop in and give the info. It's obviously a very unique and obscure engineering job, and very interesting to read about.

(I still don't think I could handle it, but it does sound a bit more interesting now with that background).

there's actually a position in Charlotte,NC available. sounded interesting, but would like to talk to someone that does it to see how crazy they were before applying..

there's actually a position in Charlotte,NC available. sounded interesting, but would like to talk to someone that does it to see how crazy they were before applying..
Theres no harm for applying for the position if you are remotely interested. It will take about 6 months to see if you even made the list. Even if you want the position today. a lot can change in the time and you can always decline the offer later. The joys of working for the government.

Back