Switching Exam Depths

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodr

P.E.
Reaction score
Has anyone switched from construction to transportation? I am considering switching. I have taken construction twice and really seem to be struggling. I've done well on the geometric items but I'm not sure what to expect. Just looking for some guidance from anyone who has switched and it you felt it was easier or worth it.

Has anyone switched from construction to transportation? I am considering switching. I have taken construction twice and really seem to be struggling. I've done well on the geometric items but I'm not sure what to expect. Just looking for some guidance from anyone who has switched and it you felt it was easier or worth it.
Calling @civilrobot PE PMP CCM , they might be able to weigh in on the construction topic.

Not quite the same situation, but kinda/sorta: I first took Mechanical MDM and torpedoed it SO badly (I mean, I listened to my friends who claimed it was easier!) I ended up switching to TFS for subsequent attempts and finally passed. So, I personally have no qualms with switching disciplines.

Also, when I was first studying for the Civil PE I got the NCEES Construction practice exam (since I worked in construction) and got so discouraged I ended up switching to WRE. So...I guess that's more in line with your situation except I didn't actually attempt the Construction exam.

I would recommend you stick with construction and take a prep course. I took a prep course with EET and also did a tons of practice problems from 4 other practice books of Indranil Goswami, Elain Huang, Beth Lin Hartmann, and NCEES practice exam three weeks prior to the exam date and passed the PE construction just the first try. In school my major was structural, but I ended up working in construction field. NCEES construction practice exam is freaky easy I would say, compared to the real exam.

I would recommend you stick with construction and take a prep course. I took a prep course with EET and also did a tons of practice problems from 4 other practice books of Indranil Goswami, Elain Huang, Beth Lin Hartmann, and NCEES practice exam three weeks prior to the exam date and passed the PE construction just the first try. In school my major was structural, but I ended up working in construction field. NCEES construction practice exam is freaky easy I would say, compared to the real exam.
I took the eet course and struggled with the structural items. My major was mechanical with an emphasis in HVAC so I am way out of my comfort zone. My professional experience is in horizontal construction but I don't feel the depth covers much on that. I've put a lot of effort into studying but can't seem to grasp the material as well as I need to. Several people in my office have taken the transpo exam instead of construction since they felt that it was closer to what we do. Now that I've taken construction twice I think I see what they mean.

Its always been my understanding that most (if not all) states just require you to pass the PE exam, they dont have any emphasis specific requirements for a normal PE. if your state is that way, you can take a little time to look at practice exams to decide which type of test you are most comfortable with, and take that one. No matter what emphasis you pick, find a good review course, and then study for it (i studied about 200 hrs for the PE and then about 150 hrs each for the CA Surveying and Seismic). Good luck!

I thought about switching from Construction to Structural (I don't know what I was thinking - but that's for another thread), but I took the advice of some folks here and stuck with Construction. I'm glad I did. When you're discouraged and the wound of seeing that red rectangle is still fresh, you want to run. Don't. You know what the problems look like. You are probably familiar with a couple of your resources or references. Now, you just need to tweak your approach and get to work. If you didn't take a course before, I recommend that you take a review course. I took EET. I also sat for the Construction PE twice. I thought that studying the material would feel like I'm starting over, but that's not true. Like I said, you've seen it before. Wait until you can look at it with fresh eyes and get some guidance or instruction. ALSO, get your hands on as many DIFFERENT kinds of practice problems as possible. EET's problems are instrumental in helping you to understand the topic, but you still need some variety in the way problems are worded, and variety in the different kinds of problems (look up and interpretation of references, problem solving strategies and different ways to use formulas).

Change the way you study. You will succeed. If you switch, you will be starting over. Also, I have the NCEES Transportation Practice Exam. It is NOTHING like the 3 geometrics problems we get in the breadth section. Don't kid yourself.

I thought about switching from Construction to Structural (I don't know what I was thinking - but that's for another thread), but I took the advice of some folks here and stuck with Construction. I'm glad I did. When you're discouraged and the wound of seeing that red rectangle is still fresh, you want to run. Don't. You know what the problems look like. You are probably familiar with a couple of your resources or references. Now, you just need to tweak your approach and get to work. If you didn't take a course before, I recommend that you take a review course. I took EET. I also sat for the Construction PE twice. I thought that studying the material would feel like I'm starting over, but that's not true. Like I said, you've seen it before. Wait until you can look at it with fresh eyes and get some guidance or instruction. ALSO, get your hands on as many DIFFERENT kinds of practice problems as possible. EET's problems are instrumental in helping you to understand the topic, but you still need some variety in the way problems are worded, and variety in the different kinds of problems (look up and interpretation of references, problem solving strategies and different ways to use formulas).

Change the way you study. You will succeed. If you switch, you will be starting over. Also, I have the NCEES Transportation Practice Exam. It is NOTHING like the 3 geometrics problems we get in the breadth section. Don't kid yourself.
I took the eet course and used it to study both times. I feel good about the breath but I struggle in the depth. My experience is in horizontal construction but I feel the exam focused more on vertical construction. I really hit it hard and didn't end up doing much better. I am curious if transpo would be easier considering the higher pass rate.

Back