Survey Exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My roommate who took the exam thought it was the most difficult of the three... But then he quickly through in that that could wholheartedly be due to the fact that he studied it the least out of the three :)

I thought I studied enough to pass the Survey exam. This was the 2nd time I took the test. With only this part left to become a PE, I spent enough time on it. The exam turned out to be v difficult when compared to the April 2009.

I was wondering on how others felt about the difficulty of the exam.

BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO POST ANYTHING THAT WOULD GET YOU IN TROUBLE. Share opinions about difficulty, exam site, proctor's attitudes, other exam taker's antics, pretty much anything except what was on the exam.

Last edited by a moderator:
For my two cents, I thought it was dificult and I felt like time was a major issue. This was my first time taking and did not know what to expect. I did concentrate my efforts more on seismic, which I feel I did pass; however, that left me a little short on Surveying.

Now being a bit pessimistic and am looking into taking again in the spring! Based on the application deadlines and the 13 weeks before we receive our results, it does not look possible to wait for the results before signing up for the spring exam! For someone who has taken prior exams, does it take 13 weeks to get the results? or does CA extend the deadline for retakers? otherwise wait until 2010?

If it is your 2nd time taking, you will not have any problem meeting the deadline for the application. If only you need to take it again, the refile application will be included along with the result letter you will recive in January.

Yes Surveying questions were very lengthy. I could not get a lot of them in my first try. I had no time for my 2nd try. Overall it was a tough paper.

If the cut off for April was 30, then hopefully, this time should be lower.

Don't know.

If the cut off for April was 30, then hopefully, this time should be lower.Don't know.
They say that the level of difficulty alternates every exam. If the Seismic was hard in April it will be difficult in October. The same applies to the Surveying exam.

The only problem is that I had a hard time in both. LOL. I thought that Seismic's level of difficulty is higher than Surveying (in terms of the questions asked). What made Surveying tough is the limited amount of time.

Also, I looked at the trend for the April and October exam and it shows that the percentage of passers is higher in April than in October. Check it out. It's disturbing. LOL.

That is true. For Survey, there were only 46 problems in April and the cutoff was 30. The exam was tough this time and had 50 problems, but there were some direct questions. So I think the cutoff will still be around 30. Seismic was tougher than Survey, and that's what I also heard that the level of difficulty alternates between the two every time. My colleague told me that Seismic was lot easier in April.

Anyways, as far as pass rate being lower in October, I think the fact that this is sports season adds onto it. I know for sure I would have studied better if I was not watching college football, EPL and NFL.

I actually thought surveying was easy, but I think it is because I deal with a lot of the stuff in my job. I spend about 5 hours studying for the test.

Seismic on the other hand, I wasn't able to answer a single question!

That is true. For Survey, there were only 46 problems in April and the cutoff was 30. The exam was tough this time and had 50 problems, but there were some direct questions. So I think the cutoff will still be around 30. Seismic was tougher than Survey, and that's what I also heard that the level of difficulty alternates between the two every time. My colleague told me that Seismic was lot easier in April.
Anyways, as far as pass rate being lower in October, I think the fact that this is sports season adds onto it. I know for sure I would have studied better if I was not watching college football, EPL and NFL.
Hahaha..that is true. LOL. Football Season is to be blamed for our poor test result. I missed my school's football game because I had to take Seismic and Surveying. During the test, I was thinking...I hope we won against Oregon State. LOL.

I though the survey section was not too hard, finished with about 20 minutes to go back and double check some of my answers. The seismic on the other hand was difficult and could only really answer about half the problems. I had to fly from Louisiana to San Diego to take the exam, home to Phoenix and back to work in Louisiana in three days. I hope I don’t have to do that again.

I though the survey section was not too hard, finished with about 20 minutes to go back and double check some of my answers. The seismic on the other hand was difficult and could only really answer about half the problems. I had to fly from Louisiana to San Diego to take the exam, home to Phoenix and back to work in Louisiana in three days. I hope I don’t have to do that again.

can you please tell me what books you used for survey?

thats the only thing i need to become pe and it will be my second attempt..

Latest posts

Back