Supplied referance manual

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

tconway82

I'm taking the FE for the first time this weekend and wanted to ask others who have taken it in your opinionis the supplied reference manual total overkill? (thoughts for both morning and afternoon) Granted I'm still quite sharp on all my EE knowledge so I've focused my studing on mostly math and the BASICS of mechanics and materials, but I couldn't imagine even coming close to having to using most of the information in there. Is this really the case or should I step it up a notch as to what I'm reviewing?

Thanks

Especially last couple of sections of the manual are quite detailed and unless you are taking discipline specific exam you will rarely use them.. Am I right?

You won't need everything in there, but they can- and will- ask about anything. Granted, some sections are detailed more for those specific PM sections, but it's good to be familiar with the FERM so you can find things in a hurry. I ended up liking it so much as a general reference, I keep it on my desk and use my (annotated!) copy on the PE exam, too.

The worst is when they ask questions outside of your field that aren't in the book, and you have no way whatsoever of possibly getting it right. As I recall, they asked an enviro question like that on my test. Frustrating! 95% of the test can be done- and done correctly- using basic fundamentals and the information in the FERM though.

BTW, if anyone hasn't already, it's availible for download from NCEES's website. It's a bit late to practice with it now, but download it and get familiar with it!

You won't need everything in there, but they can- and will- ask about anything. Granted, some sections are detailed more for those specific PM sections, but it's good to be familiar with the FERM so you can find things in a hurry. I ended up liking it so much as a general reference, I keep it on my desk and use my (annotated!) copy on the PE exam, too.
The worst is when they ask questions outside of your field that aren't in the book, and you have no way whatsoever of possibly getting it right. As I recall, they asked an enviro question like that on my test. Frustrating! 95% of the test can be done- and done correctly- using basic fundamentals and the information in the FERM though.

BTW, if anyone hasn't already, it's availible for download from NCEES's website. It's a bit late to practice with it now, but download it and get familiar with it!
At this point, you should do what grover has said... at least make sure you know basically how the book is set up and organized. Be able to find basic equations and charts you may foresee yourself needing (either the general or specific PM portions).

If nothing else, print a copy for your records, some of the discipline specific info (civil, anyway) was pretty good and I cut and pasted some of it into my PE binders.

Good luck!

-Ray

That makes me feel more comfortable, as I have already spent alot of time going through it and getting used to the organization of it. You also mentioned what I was afraid of, getting to the fluids, thermo, and other parts where I have no earthly idea about.

Sounds to me like I should stop trying to "cram" as much for these other areas and focus the rest of my review time making sure I can nail what I do know, and knowing where to find references to what I don't?

If you do a practice problem, you should ONLY be using this. You wont have your FERM in the test so dont use it. I remember there were several problems that I swore werent in there but I checked and they were- that tiem looking before got me many points bc later I knew what page it was on. Other references are good for guiding your studies but thats it.

Back