Current Transformers and Load Density

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pebblepigs

Reaction score
I have a weird question that I haven't been able to figure out.

I'm reading this article: "Instrument Transformer Basic Technical Information and Application" https://www.gegridsolutions.com/products/manuals/ititechinfo.pdf

Page 4 has a section called, How To Modify The Ratio on a Current Transformer.

"The secondary consists of a larger number of turns of smaller wire. The number is dependent on the primary to secondary current transformation desired. If a lower current rating than is available is required due to a low load density, this can be achieved by looping the primary cable through the window of the CT."

My question is specifically regarding their usage of the term "low load density". What does density have to do with this? Why use that term? Usually when talking about load density I'm most familiar with buildings and w/ft^2 or VA/ft^2.

For the term density to be used, the physical size of something has to be taken into account. I figured all that mostly mattered in CT's is stepping down the current. Can't something have a high load density but still require a significantly lower amperage? Any insight as to where I am going astray would he hugely helpful. Thank you!

Back