Supplemental Experience Question - Related to Texas Licensing

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jnp.energy

Reaction score
Hi all,

Long time lurker (without an account), first time poster. I have a general question that I'm hoping that someone may be able to either, provide some insight on, or a different point of view that I may be missing. I sat for the PE Exam in electrical power back in January of this year and passed on the first go around. With that, I'm not licensed yet, which, if I'm being honest, is hella depressing.

I have a NCEES record that shows just over (6) years experience, with (18) months being under a licensed engineer and I have (1) reference that is a licensed engineer (the 18 months under a licensed engineer confirming that work experience and the (1) licensed engineer for the reference are two different individuals). I'm under the assumption, with the NCEES portal, that the individual who verified my employment would also have to go through and complete the separate section where I put them down as a professional reference. The reason this individual is not a reference (or rather, why I at one point did not ask them to be) is because the last time I worked with them was (7) years ago and I was working in a different industry (building electrical design then vs now, which is solar power systems engineering); also, speaking candidly, I've grown a lot, in terms of my technical ability in (7) years and the work they saw doesn't reflect what I'm capable of.

My question is, based on 133.51(b) in the Texas Engineering and Land Surveying Practice Acts and Rules Concerning Practice and Licensure, which states:
Professional engineers who have not worked with or directly supervised an applicant may review and judge the applicant's experience and may serve as a licensed engineer reference provider; such review shall be noted on the reference statement.

Admittedly, I haven't asked anyone at the TBPE about this, but is the above simply noting that anyone with a PE, assuming any discipline, would be able to look at the experience I've listed in my NCEES work experience section and sign off, with the note about direct supervision just being recorded? And if that is the case, I'm curious as to if anyone has done that and how those references were acquired? Professional groups like NSPE or IEEE?

Apologies if this post is off the wall, scatter-brained, or hard to follow. I just finally elected to reach out to this community because after the 13 months of studying during 2020 for the Power exam and then passing it, and having all other items on my NCEES record verified/recorded as acceptable, almost a year later and with only the (1) professional reference, I just feel I have nothing to show for the work I put in and would like some advice from whoever is willing to provide some.

Thanks for reading.

Not sure if I got your question right, but to get licensed you need a minimum of 3 PE references, & 5 PE references if you want the FE exam to be waived. If you already passed PE exam, so 3 PE references, the best way is to contact TBPE directly they have been very helpful during my application process.

Not sure if I got your question right, but to get licensed you need a minimum of 3 PE references, & 5 PE references if you want the FE exam to be waived. If you already passed PE exam, so 3 PE references, the best way is to contact TBPE directly they have been very helpful during my application process.
Hi morphe83; thank you for the reply. Yes, I passed the FE as an undergraduate requirement back in 2011 and TBPE has me on their roster as an EIT as of 2019. Just having worked for electrical contractors for the past (4) years that have contracted out the EOR services has made this process more tedious than I would have hoped with regards to getting to a total of (3) references.

Jnp, since I wanted the FE to be waived and sit just for the PE, I had 4 PE's solid references but I needed one more, so what I did is ask a PE I knew through my work network to provide me with reference if I provide design and analysis for free for one of his projects, after reviewing my work and approving it he provided me with that 5th reference I needed. My field is Civil Structural, so not sure how it work for electrical but this is an option you might want to consider.

Back