Structural Engineers: we're not just "those people" anymore!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevo_55

The Beer Baron
Reaction score
Hello fellow SE's!

Need a network connection? Well, here's the place for it!

Fellow structural guy here. Work mainly in the industrial field now with a lot of open steel structures. The bonus of that is that I don't have to deal with architects!

I personally do cladding, building component, and non-building structures.

Unfortunately, I work with Architects every other day. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Fellow Structural here.

Primary work is new building design (steel, wood & concrete) with a decent portion of renovations and seismic upgrades to existing facilities. Usually dealing with Architects and their skyhooks.

Normal site conditions include permafrost & high seismic. Rarely do I have a situation where wind controls.

I'm an unusual type of structural engineer, I suppose.. we do primarily temporary structural engineering and bridge erection/dismantling for big construction GCs (think Kiewit/Skanska/etc).

Prior to that, I supported sparkies designing substations and transmission lines.

Which means in both cases.... no Architects! :D

Structural - strictly buildings. Steel , concrete, wood and masonry. In-house structural in a A/E firm. 14 yrs exp. Dealing with architects and interns every day. Anyone licensed structural in CA or west coast states willing to be my reference providing that I send you samples drawings/calculations of my work?

I have an MEng from an Architectural Engineering program with a Structural Emphasis. I hold a Civil PE in NE and TN and an SE in Illinois. I'm preparing an application for the CA PE and hope to sit for their seismic and surveying this Fall. I spent 2 years with a structural consultant in NYC doing commercial/institutional design including steel, reinforced concrete, and masonry analysis and design. I spent 2 years at a nuclear power plant providing structural support for plant maintenance, modifications, and regulatory compliance. I primarily dealt with steel and reinforced concrete although I got some exposure to piping design, pipe supports, and hardened structures of various sorts. I spent 2 years at a Class 1 railroad primarily managing bridge maintenance and replacement projects including timber, masonry, steel, reinforced concrete, and prestressed concrete structures, foundations, and retaining structures. I'm currently structural lead for a construction equipment manufacturer providing structural steel design for gravity, wind, and seismic loads at sites worldwide.

I've learned something (or some things!) at each stop along the way and my current position is the best fit for my interests so far. I'm working with steel, my favorite material and designing interesting and challenging non-building structures for nearly all conceivable loads and site conditions. I get to do a lot of design and analysis, which I really enjoy, and there is very little coordination with other "design professionals", which I also really enjoy. Most people think I'm crazy for moving along and walking away from previous jobs, but I encourage everyone I meet to keep their eyes and ears open because you never know when a better opportunity or better fit will come along.

By the way, in my experience nuclear regulators are far, far, far worse than any architect I've worked with.

Structural E.I. here. Currently working preparing for my S.E. exam and working in the telecom field.

Structural EIT here - I design industrial type structures - related to O & G industry. Mostly Steel structures with concrete foundation.

I'm a recent graduate, May 2013. I've be working in construction in my first two years out of college. I went to City College of New York and majored in structures. After being at my current job I took and passed the early P.E exam (transportation) as I thought that it was the closest to the type of work that Im currently doing.

I'm starting to realize that I'm stuck at my current job, as design is not required at any level and I feel like this can hurt me in the long run. I'm looking for a way to start in the structural design business by looking for a "mentor" to show me the ropes while I help him/her with his/her work. I truly just want to learn.

Back