Sometimes you just need to scream!!!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Honestly, if I was the department, I'd have given everyone a W and made them repeat the class. Since it would have been obvious nobody learned a damn thing and it was a sham because of said professor's laziness.

In either case, good on you for standing up to that!
We paid attention and we still did the homework and everything so we knew the material...cell phones weren't even a thing yet so it's not like we had anything else to do in class...but when your exams are such a huge chunk of your final grade, you're going to make sure you get them right.

We paid attention and we still did the homework and everything so we knew the material...cell phones weren't even a thing yet so it's not like we had anything else to do in class...but when your exams are such a huge chunk of your final grade, you're going to make sure you get them right.
study smarter not harder!

THat is why I didn't take my computer science requirement at my university. The class is graded on a curve and CS majors took the class at the same time as non-CS majors. So even if you got a B you could still fail if all the CS majors did really well.

So I took it at my local community college over the summer and learned FORTRAN.
My college had "Mechatronics" for the ME majors so that they didn't have to take "real" programming classes. They also learned Fortran. And they had CS's do most of their homework for them.

if everyone does bad it definitely can help.
Very true, I remember my college girlfriend at the time being a premed student and the average for all of her bio exams was typically between 50-60% and eventually got curved up. I don't know why they would do that, it caused so much stress for all the students, and to me just seems like a poorly designed assesment.

Very true, I remember my college girlfriend at the time being a premed student and the average for all of her bio exams was typically between 50-60% and eventually got curved up. I don't know why they would do that, it caused so much stress for all the students, and to me just seems like a poorly designed assesment.
Had same experience as Undergrad. One of the EE professors, thankfully never took a class with him, was notorious for grades in the 30-40% range but then a massive curve at the end. I didn't understand the point then and still don't.

My freshman year Calculus 1 class was taught by a German professor who barely spoke English. He was terrible. I had calc in high school and I might as well had been taking a foreign language. We started with 25 students and my first exam was 45%...second was 54%. We kept asking him about a curve and he didn't know what a "curve" was. He just told us we needed to try harder. By the end of the course all but 6 had dropped out of the class. I ended up with a "C".

The next semester I drew the same professor, so after the first day I immediately dropped it and reassigned myself to another class. Back then they were randomly assigned, so you basically chose the course number but you never knew which professor you would get. Turned out she was American. I made an 'A' in her class.

It's all about who teaches and their style.

I took Thermodynamics when I was a sophomore…usually it’s a Jr/Sr class. Found out my fraternity brother was going to be teaching the class. No special treatment, but he would ask me about the class because everyone was doing so badly. He was fine, it was just a really hard class…everyone in the other class that semester failed. Even with extra help from him and my roommate, I took my C and was happy to be done with it.

We had two Thermo classes. Thermo I was Sophomore year and Thermo II Junior year. Thermo I was taken by MEs and CEs, Thermo II MEs only.

as a Chem E, we had our own version of thermo, so we didn't have to take that on with the rest of the other engineering disciplines.

Haha speaking of bad profs...I had a Mechanics of Materials professor (this was 18 years ago already...GOOD LORD) who would very painstakingly draw Mohr's Circles and took up waaaay too much time. Then he stood around and collected evaluations ad the end of the course - big no no. I don't think my school kept him around for long.

Customer: What is the status of my project?
Me: I quoted you 2 1/2 to 3 week turnaround time. It has been 6 days since you submitted your project.
Customer: But I want to start excavating this week, and the home-owners want the plan to be done in May.
Me: I quoted you 2 1/2 to 3 week turnaround time. It has been 6 days since you submitted your project.

Customer: But I want to start excavating this week, and the home-owners want the plan to be done in May.
THIS IS EVERY BLASTED PROJECT THESE DAYS!

Maybe say it’s in progress and you will get it to them by stated time? Or does that make too much sense also…

Or, "I know you have revisions, but the shops are done, so just mark them up as you go through the redesign process to save us time." Yeah, because drawing it all again (for the second time) sounds like a blast.
OR, well, "we bid the roof structure out of a totally different system, everything else is still the same, right?" Going from precast tees to joists and metal deck - Absolutely not. You just changed a large part of my lateral system and I'll need to back check everything.

...and at an agreed upon fee of X. We'd be more than happy to expedite your project for an increased rate of 300%, as this will require shuffling of our current backlog and overtime on an already accelerated schedule.

Wow, I got around 45% in my Physics 1 class. Was freaked out at first but it turned out to curve to an A.
My Physics 3 prof had a thick Indian accent and would always compare things to "like high compression pistons moving up and down" which would subsequently trigger a tangent "how" thought stream. I still don't know how I minored in that series.

edit: *thick

Last edited:
well this is really shitty of the host school. They just told the track coach this morning that they can only bring 3 kids per event. This isn't an invitational, just a regular meet. Everyone is supposed to be allowed at these. Wont know until after school if minisnick will make the cut. The coach didn't say if it was 3 kids for each age bracket (6/7 and 8) or 3 kids period. If it is three kids regardless of age, then minisnick likely wont be going...the 8th graders are faster in his usual events.

The coach sent out a group message stating he sent personal messages to parents of students not going. Haven't gotten one yet, so it looks like minisnick made the cut. Just don't know which events he will be doing.

Latest posts

Back