Solar and Wind

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are working on completion (of design) of Watt's Bar Unit Two (TVA) right now. Construction will start soon to finish the unit.

Related but not entirely on point ... Northeast Utilities Planning Network Of Electric Car-Charging Stations

I wonder who will be blamed when auto companies are pressured to produce a product that doesn't deliver?

We may need an alternate source. They are trying to get rid of what I work in which provides energy. I am in the coal industry. They say we hurt the enviroment, but windmills kill birds and bats which eat they insects, and then they will have to spray for the insects which pollutes the air etc... Everything affects something.
Those are very valid points wvgirl.

I find it interesting that as this country is trying to systematically dismantle the backbone of our electrical generating industry (coal, petroleum) fuel sources that other countries continue to build/operate the very same plants we are contesting with fewer environmental controls. No matter where your belief structure falls on the climate change argument - one thing cannot be refuted: mandating added air pollution control measures in the U.S. without other countries following in kind isn't going to put us on the path to what is considered to be 'rehabilitative' reductions in green house gases. If this is the REALITY of the situation, I don't understand the push to compel the coal/fossil fuel electrical generating industries to implement these costly measures without a yardstick for the net environmental benefit.

Unfortunately ... the most that can be said about this now is ... :deadhorse:

Same here. Granted I could always make the swing to our nuclear division, but I've got a lot more freedom in what I do here on the Fossil side (albeit a mixed blessing). We're putting in bids on two coal jobs here in TX, and I'm hoping we win them so I can come back here in 2 1/2-3 years!
Good luck!

You know the funny thing about nuclear power - it takes A LOT more people to run a nuke plant than a fossil fuel plant. The certifications are much more difficult to obtain and retain not to mention the security presence required.

I haven't heard too many people raise the cry that there aren't enough LICENSED operators and technicians to construct/operate these plants. It will be interesting to see how that develops ...

The other major issue I see is the rising price in concrete and steel - that is making a number of pipeline projects problematic. I can't imagine it is helping the 'attractiveness' for the bottom-line on nuclear power plants either.

They're building a coal plant in SC and there has been nothing but bellyaching about it from the greenie weenies. Even more noise that they are generating over the two reactors going in at Jenkinsville.
The same was true in Florida - two sites for coal-fired plants were rejected due to the political pressure/threat of rejecting the siting permits from the Governor's office. I thought it was particularly sad that the politics of the situation made the decision presumptive ... rather than allowing for a consideration of all pertinent facts.

JR

I haven't heard too many people raise the cry that there aren't enough LICENSED operators and technicians to construct/operate these plants. It will be interesting to see how that develops ...
Thats because us nukeworkers know that if the supply stays the same as demand goes up, so will our rates. So we try to keep it quiet.

Actually, thats a huge issue for a lot of the companies I contract to. There is a large concern around the NWC that as more nuke power plants are designed/built/operated, a lot of the nukeworkers in the non-power side of the industry will jump to power, causing staffing problems. Combined with an average worker age of around 50 in the NWC, we're seeing a lot of new college grad hiring by some of the major prime contractors (Bechtel, B&W, WGI, URS, etc).

This, combined with all the stimulus money, has made the job market around here crazy. Its going to be an interesting 18-24 months in the nuke industry.

Last edited by a moderator:
We had two big rulling the past two weeks that has majorly effect the industry. One basically says the Corps in worthless. There are so many regulations and stimpulations that the industry has to go through to even be permitted to mine and strip mine. I don't think people realize how much bond is put up to reclaim the land and the regulations they have to meet. Not only is coal used for energy but it is also used for steel. If we can't mine it will cripple our state (and most of the families here) which one of the seven states that has a surplus thanks to coal. If you want to view something intersting go to Google Earth and click on the Gloabl Awarness icon and look at all the enviromentalist groups comments over the mines, which I don't agree with. Most of these groups members are not even from here and some are even from a country north of us. It is a distortion of the truth. Lets face it all the global good we try to do in th US is being offset by the bad that is being allowed in other countries.

Related but not entirely on point ... Northeast Utilities Planning Network Of Electric Car-Charging Stations
I wonder who will be blamed when auto companies are pressured to produce a product that doesn't deliver?

Those are very valid points wvgirl.

I find it interesting that as this country is trying to systematically dismantle the backbone of our electrical generating industry (coal, petroleum) fuel sources that other countries continue to build/operate the very same plants we are contesting with fewer environmental controls. No matter where your belief structure falls on the climate change argument - one thing cannot be refuted: mandating added air pollution control measures in the U.S. without other countries following in kind isn't going to put us on the path to what is considered to be 'rehabilitative' reductions in green house gases. If this is the REALITY of the situation, I don't understand the push to compel the coal/fossil fuel electrical generating industries to implement these costly measures without a yardstick for the net environmental benefit.

Unfortunately ... the most that can be said about this now is ... :deadhorse:

Good luck!

You know the funny thing about nuclear power - it takes A LOT more people to run a nuke plant than a fossil fuel plant. The certifications are much more difficult to obtain and retain not to mention the security presence required.

The other major issue I see is the rising price in concrete and steel - that is making a number of pipeline projects problematic. I can't imagine it is helping the 'attractiveness' for the bottom-line on nuclear power plants either.

The same was true in Florida - two sites for coal-fired plants were rejected due to the political pressure/threat of rejecting the siting permits from the Governor's office. I thought it was particularly sad that the politics of the situation made the decision presumptive ... rather than allowing for a consideration of all pertinent facts.

JR

:wv: : That's why I was absolutely astounded that Obama won Pennsylvania this past election.

6 domestic contracts right now based on the Westinghouse AP1000 design, 1100 MW a pop. Expected completion starting around 2016 for the first units. I think they may even be doing dirt work on some of the sites, or at least have people staffed there.
I don't think Jenkinsville is close enough for the dirt work, but I've heard they are well along in getting the necessary permitting.

The wife and I went up and toured the World of Power at the Oconee reactors last summer. That is a beautiful area and an impressive facility.

I can't believe Penn either, but I also have my own take on why alot of votes went that way, media hype, wanting a historically presidency, wanting another JFK type era. Alot of issues went ignored and now people are oh is record is really liberal, what? Look at Notre Dame, before the election they were supporters after the election and they found out his stance went against the catholic values they don't want him speaking there. Anyway that is another topic. Your right Chucktown they did say they would bankrupt it, and now along with the EPA they are trying too. Of course they back traked before election day and say no no we didn't mean that. No one wanted to believe it and some said it couldn't happen, but it looks like it is in the works.

He and Joe even said they were going to bankrupt the coal industry. But Pennsylvanians will get what they voted for and all of us will be worse off.

I think they may even be doing dirt work on some of the sites, or at least have people staffed there.
When I was down in Homestead, Florida in January 2008, the geophysicals for two (2) new nuclear units were almost complete. The preliminary results were to place the units in a swamp area - just excavate to bedrock and backfill up to grade with structural fill. :true:

We had two big rulling the past two weeks that has majorly effect the industry. One basically says the Corps in worthless.
Which rulings are you referring to? You don't mean the Supreme Court ruling on Clean Water Act where variances from the CWA can be based on cost-benefit analysis??

There are so many regulations and stimpulations that the industry has to go through to even be permitted to mine and strip mine. I don't think people realize how much bond is put up to reclaim the land and the regulations they have to meet. Not only is coal used for energy but it is also used for steel. If we can't mine it will cripple our state (and most of the families here) which one of the seven states that has a surplus thanks to coal.
You are right about the general lack of awareness on most people's part about what goes into generating electricity.

BTW, do you recognize the image in my avatar? ;)

If you want to view something intersting go to Google Earth and click on the Gloabl Awarness icon and look at all the enviromentalist groups comments over the mines, which I don't agree with. Most of these groups members are not even from here and some are even from a country north of us. It is a distortion of the truth. Lets face it all the global good we try to do in th US is being offset by the bad that is being allowed in other countries.
Interesting ... I will have to check that out when I get home.

Of course they back traked before election day and say no no we didn't mean that. No one wanted to believe it and some said it couldn't happen, but it looks like it is in the works.
I think this presidency, regardless of who was elected, was going to be problematic. The problem is that so many people focused on the presidential race that they lost sight of what the congress was/hsa been doing. I blame them just as much because what little good Obama seemed prepared to offer up is rapidly getting eaten away by the people who helped him into office. I am not condoning his position(s) ... I am just pointing out the political reality of the situation.

JR

Oh I agree, I don't know if McCain would have been much better. I just wish that they realize the the impact the industry has and what it will do to many Americans if you stop it. I don't know if they realize it but we are in a recession so stop trying to tinker around with enviromental issues especially when it will drastically eliminate jobs and start worrying about the bigger picture.

When I was down in Homestead, Florida in January 2008, the geophysicals for two (2) new nuclear units were almost complete. The preliminary results were to place the units in a swamp area - just excavate to bedrock and backfill up to grade with structural fill. :true:

Which rulings are you referring to? You don't mean the Supreme Court ruling on Clean Water Act where variances from the CWA can be based on cost-benefit analysis??

You are right about the general lack of awareness on most people's part about what goes into generating electricity.

BTW, do you recognize the image in my avatar? ;)

Interesting ... I will have to check that out when I get home.

I think this presidency, regardless of who was elected, was going to be problematic. The problem is that so many people focused on the presidential race that they lost sight of what the congress was/hsa been doing. I blame them just as much because what little good Obama seemed prepared to offer up is rapidly getting eaten away by the people who helped him into office. I am not condoning his position(s) ... I am just pointing out the political reality of the situation.

JR

We may need an alternate source. They are trying to get rid of what I work in which provides energy. I am in the coal industry. They say we hurt the enviroment, but windmills kill birds and bats which eat they insects, and then they will have to spray for the insects which pollutes the air etc... Everything affects something.

How about turning your coal into ethanol using the Coskata (Oklahoma State University) process? The coal would be processed in a contained system into ethanol, and used in cars which then would give off the green house gases.

How about turning your coal into ethanol using the Coskata (Oklahoma State University) process? The coal would be processed in a contained system into ethanol, and used in cars which then would give off the green house gases.

^^^ The idea that's so nice ... you had to state it twice?? :p

Sorry .. I just couldn't resist!!

JR

And more fodder for the cannon ... :deadhorse: :deadhorse:

New city in Florida to run on solar power

There's more to the story than what is printed .... I visited the ranch about five years ago before the state sale. It is interesting to watch how the stories get more warped as time marches on.

JR

6 domestic contracts right now based on the Westinghouse AP1000 design, 1100 MW a pop. Expected completion starting around 2016 for the first units. I think they may even be doing dirt work on some of the sites, or at least have people staffed there.
They're doing some site prep work at Vogtle (GA) right now, taking down some of the old buildings. The PSC agreed in March to certify the two new units, which is one obstacle down (4,639 to go).

I heard some biddy on the news a few weeks ago bragging about the BANANA* outcry they generated that has seemingly sabotaged a new coal unit intended for south GA. To quote her:

"We are sending a message that we don't want any more of these dirty power plants. We only want CLEAN energy!"
I am so busy working on my static generator right now. I already have the specs outlined (must produce 1.21 Gigawatts; must be no larger than a kitchen juicer).

* (Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anything)

They're doing some site prep work at Vogtle (GA) right now, taking down some of the old buildings. The PSC agreed in March to certify the two new units, which is one obstacle down (4,639 to go).
I believe they're doing the initial excavation and concrete work for South Texas Units 3 and 4 and I just saw a blurb this morning that Florida Power & Light is getting ready to start the initial work for two new units at Turkey Point.

Back