So, which one will win the race...

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cableguy

Has never sniffed a stink bug
Reaction score
Well, I'm accomplishing 2 goals this year (hopefully). I applied for my PE, and this past weekend I took the concealed handgun class. I'm submitting my paperwork today to get my Texas CHL.

So... which results will I get first? PE or CHL? :)

I did some reading on CHL, it takes about a month. I figure we're just under a month away from PE results.

Wife made it clear she was none too happy about being left with the kids AGAIN for a full day on Saturday while I was in class AGAIN (I did the Testmasters class in Houston for the PE, that was 3 weekends, plus staying in Ft Worth when I took the exam). Didn't help that neighborhood kids ended up at our house either, I think she had 8 kids in the house at one time on Saturday. :) I got home, she said "tag, you're it, I'm out". :bananapowerslide:

lol no they were all gone by the time I got home. Class was a 10 hour class - 8am to 6pm.

I usually only allow 1 or 2 'extra' kids at the house when I'm there with no wifey (I already have 3). A houseful is usually OK for about 10 minutes, and then the yelling, screaming, and crying starts. After that, I'll calm down and then talk normally again. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
It took me almost 6 months to get my CHL in Harris County. Horrible timing though, as Obama was relatively new to office and Ike had just hit, tying up most of the resources. Turns out they had let go the woman who processed them all and nobody noticed, so they just began piling up. Don't be surprised if they reject your prints and you have to get it done a second time, even if they came out perfect on the card. My CHL course teachers said that about 1/4 get rejected for no good reason, and I didn't believe them until it happened to me.

Still (im)patiently waiting for both. Been just over 2 weeks since I mailed off the CHL application. So far, all I have to show for it is a cancelled check. No other correspondence from DPS.

Same with the PE. :)

Also waiting on my Crossbreed Supertuck holster. I hear they can take 5 weeks to arrive as well...

I'm now predicting this order:

Christmas

CHL

PE

New Years'

Holster

Great holster! Need to see if they have one to fit my Para Carry .45.

Holster got here on Monday. It's quite nice. After a little application of some leather conditioner, it loosened up a bit and fits me well.

DPS is waiting on my background check. I expect it'll take another 2 weeks before I have plastic.

PE? I have no idea.

I'm also now waiting on some "unclaimed property" funds from a state I used to live in. Nice $$$$ mad money. Wonder when that'll get here. :)

I took a couple hours of leave time at the end of a work day. It allowed me to make the hour-long drive from my office to the sheriff office in my home county. Got there and they said they don't do prints every day - come back tomorrow.

(Seem like they should put that on their website or something)

So I got the prints taken and months went by. Finally, my county clerk informed me that the fingerprint analysis computer could not rule me out as a felon. So my prints were sent to the state police for manual comparison.

State of Michigan says three months maximum for CPL issuance. But with the manual comparison and all, it was about a week over three months.

By the way, my everyday carry is Glock 23 with MTAC holster.

I've gotta Donk

5199738379_100408c06e_z.jpg

I'd like to have a gun, just so I could say that I have a gun.

All kidding aside, for a novice gun person, what would be the easiest and least complicated firearm to have? Speaking with an ex-LEO buddy, he said the standard LEO issue Glock would be the best bet.

A hammerless revolver would be a good choice for concealed carry. For home defense, hard to beat a 12 gauge with a shorter barrel (not a long barrel hunting gun, but a short barrel defense shotgun, a la Winchester Defender, Mossberg Persuader, or similar).

The race is still on... no plastic from Texas, no PE exam results, and no check for $$$$...

Revolvers are far simpler than semi-auto hand guns or shotguns. The only moving parts are a hammer, trigger, and a few springs. The Glock is probably the most reliable semi-auto hand gun, but when you take it apart to clean it, there are still lots of moving parts inside.

Texas DPS wins the race and beats NCEES. My concealed handgun license got here today. Not that I feel the need to go out walking armed immediately, but it is nice to have it should I feel like I need it.

Back