so I'm outside grilling....

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so... MA... still procrastinating? I want to see the after pictures (and hopefully some during pics as well)

yes I am. We've had something going on every night this week. Looks like the assault will be this weekend. Pictures will be dark, this is a nocturnal mission.

yes I am. We've had something going on every night this week. Looks like the assault will be this weekend. Pictures will be dark, this is a nocturnal mission.
Please remember to equip your camera with your handy set of PVS-7Ds. There will be a video, right?

"Kills everything. Forever."

Sounds good to me!!

Another tip, do not spray wasp & hornet spray straight up in the air to pick off attackers. Also watch the wind direction!

I got a yellow jacket trap & knocked a bunch off, 4,000 more to go on mine!

OK after much apprehension, mission accomplished. It went surprisingly easy. On Saturday night my son and I, waited until dark (~10:00 PM) and then armed with a flashlight and two new cans of Raid (1 for each of us)...

cautiously approached the nest...

We didn't hear any noticeable noise and there weren't any comings/goings out of the entrance. So we simultaneously blasted the dang thing from two angles, concentrating first on the hole and then while he was nailing the door I soaked the rest of the nest. The cans of Raid were empty in less than a couple of minutes and the thing was soaked.

The instructions say it continues to kill bugs for at least several days after application. This picture is from Sunday morning ~6:40AM.

I haven't cut it free of the bush yet. When I do I'll take a couple of more pictures.

Are you gonna hang it in your kitchen? apparently its the trend in exciting decor (word on the street)

was there a specific reason to do it at night? do those things actually sleep? just curious........

At night they tend to all be congreagated in the nest so there's a better chance of getting them all. Also, as cold blooded creatures they are less active during cooler, nighttime weather.

was there a specific reason to do it at night? do those things actually sleep? just curious........
AS VT said, the insects are most likely to be in the hive when it's dark out and colder temperatures (big changes at night as opposed to midday here in New England) slow them down substantially.

FWIW, the instructions on the can recommend early dawn or dusk as they're more liklely to all be at the hive.

We were close to a door into the house where we could escape if necessary. I was kind of surprised we didn't hear a lot of "buzzing" when we first hit it, could have been because of the adrenalin rush or the hissing of the cans and I'm not sure how tightly packed they are in there. Drenching the opening prevented anything from coming out at us.

so why would anyone want "hornet larve"? the video broke up, is it actually worth something??

Back