so I'm outside grilling....

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny story. My X Brother in Law went turkey hunting one fall and found a big hornets nest. It was cold that morning, he didn't see any hornets, so he thought it was abandoned, cut it down to hang up in his house and put it in the truck until he was done hunting.
why oh why would someone want to do that (other than making for hilarious retelling of the tale)? Did your ex BIL take over residence of the unabomber's plywood shack or something?

Let's just say that where I'm from most people are missing teeth or have dentures by the time they are 30. The inside of my X-BIL's trailor was covered in stuffed (insert animal here)s.

Here's a rundown of what I can remember:

4 Deer heads - living room

2 Elk heads - living room

3 or 4 wide mouth bass above the kitchen table

2 pheasant - bathroom

He had 6 or more other things in his bedroom that I never went into, but this guy had more money invested in taxidermy than he did in his pickup.

Bra-Kleen works better than any hornet spray..... Kills em INSTANTLY!

Did you mean: Brake-Kleen?

talk about sending a thread downhill fast!

Last edited by a moderator:
why oh why would someone want to do that (other than making for hilarious retelling of the tale)? Did your ex BIL take over residence of the unabomber's plywood shack or something?
Pretty popular in the South. My dad had one hanging in the pump house for years (may ven still be there) and the BBQ joint I used to frequent had at least 7 mounted on the wall, all at least twice as big as MA's.

Pretty popular in the South. My dad had one hanging in the pump house for years (may ven still be there) and the BBQ joint I used to frequent had at least 7 mounted on the wall, all at least twice as big as MA's.
Whats all this about knocking the taxidermy. For the record, I have a few ducks; a pintail, a widgeon, and a mallard. My wife won't allow me to hang them in any place of prominence but in either case, I consider them tokens of my achievments as an outdoorsman (freezing my ass off in a duck blind).

As another note, the hornets nest is a pretty cool thing to save. Once the hornets are dead you should cut off the limb and save it for your kids for a science project. I can remember cutting one down and doing the same when I was in elementary school.

"Hornets, like many social wasps, can mobilize the entire nest to sting in defense: this is highly dangerous to humans"

"They can also bite and sting at the same time."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hornet

haha, I think mine is bigger, just cannot see it :(

"The colony then expands rapidly reaching a maximum size of 4,000 and 5,000"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellowjacket

I am ready to start mixing concrete to cover the entrance.

Last edited by a moderator:
As another note, the hornets nest is a pretty cool thing to save. Once the hornets are dead you should cut off the limb and save it for your kids for a science project. I can remember cutting one down and doing the same when I was in elementary school.
Hey kids, come here. I have a pesticide soaked nest I want you to play with. All the hornets are dead and in a few years you will be too.

Hey kids, come here. I have a pesticide soaked nest I want you to play with. All the hornets are dead and in a few years you will be too.
Common sense would dictate that you shouldn't let the kids eat it.

Well, depending on the definiton a 'few' we'll all be dead in a few years, so the kids will be dead regardless of whether or not they consume a Hornet's Nest Souffle.

Some species of hornets are territorial, so if they see a nest already up they won't build another one. That's why you can buy fake ones online.

We had TWO hornets nests in the window wells near our driveway last summer. We didn't know there were two...we killed the first nest and then wondered where the other ones were coming from...till we looked in the other window well on the other side of the chimney. Took them out with the long distance Raid.

With prodigious apologies, I'm going to inject a dose of reality back into the thread.

To get rid of flying insect nests, go for a heavy dose of Drione dust pumped out of a mini-bellows. Kills everything. Forever.

Available at local DIY pest control stores.

Back