so I'm outside grilling....

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MA_PE

engine near
Reaction score
and I notice something stuck in the bushes. Why do the kid's kick a soccer ball into the bushes and just leave it there?...

I go over to retrieve the ball...

Time for a midnight "raid"

Last edited by a moderator:
HORNETS!!
Good stuff. Those can hurt
You ain't kidding. I'm waiting until dark and armed with a flashlight and a can of the spray that shoots a stream about 20 ft, I intend to take the thing down.

Where's Sap? I could you someone with some combat experience.

Do you think stoning it to death would work?
there's one way to find out. Give it a try (and let us know how it works out for you) :thumbs:

Edit:

I have dealt with one of these large nests before. Fortunately the hornets/wasp nest usually only has one entrance/exit. Get a full can of wasp spray, preferably one of those that will allow you to spray from 10+ feet away and that kills on contact. Stand back and just spray into the entrance of the nest. The hornets will come out straight into your stream of poison and drop to the ground. Eve if they don't die straight away they will likely be to busy struggling to bother with coming after you. Keep spraying until the bugs quit coming or you run out of bug spray. If the later occurs before the former RUN! :)

Watch out, hornets can sting more than once!!! Get an assistant with a water hose to back you up & use a full can!!!

I have yellow jackets under my front porch, must be in a ways, after spraying they still come & go. So 5lb of sand and cover entrance with 6" of rock & they still find another entrance. More rock, spray with water to knock down and step on them. Got a trap & took a day to get a bunch more. Wish I could see the nest.

Now for the engineering question, what can be used to fill an air space, we have expansive clay soil so a polyurethane foam would just cause the concrete to heave. Other wise to plan "C", check if th ACME Co has some dynamite.

What'd they do on American Chopper? douse the nest w/ gasoline, and throw a flaming rag on it. . .can always rebuild the deck, right?

i'm kidding of course. . .

sort of anyways :210:

I procrastinated another day. We went visitng family yesterday. I'll post a closure pic when the job is done.

I think I'll send my kids out ot do it. That's why we have them in the first place (to do the dirty jobs) right?

RW: That is exactly my plan, I just haven't gone out to do it yet. The only thing I'd add to your description is to do it at night when they're all in there and if it's cool, that's all the better because the move slower. I have the spray that shoots a stream 20+ feet and I'm staying close to a door to the house so I can retreat and escape if necessary.

I took down a similar nest a couple of years ago. It wasn't as big (closer to a softball, this one is literally as big as a soccer ball) and it wa hanging under my deck. I recall that the spray "dissolves" the nest and the nest fell down on the ground. I'm a little concerned that if this one falls into the bush then the bush will block my line of sight with the spray onto the nest.

Time to just git 'er done.

RW: That is exactly my plan, I just haven't gone out to do it yet. The only thing I'd add to your description is to do it at night when they're all in there and if it's cool, that's all the better because the move slower. I have the spray that shoots a stream 20+ feet and I'm staying close to a door to the house so I can retreat and escape if necessary.
The nest I took down was in Houston, so waiting until nightfall for things to 'cool down' in Houston in the summer is futile. It was also standing on the roof. I figured being able to see was important so I did it when the sun was still up and figured if any of the pests were not in the nest they would either be killed by any residual poison or realize their nest had been destroyed and just move on. In any event, it's actually kind of fun to take down wasp after wasp as they come pouring out of the nest. Maybe you should get a reserve can of spray, just in case your primary weapon runs out of ammo in the middle of the fight. :p

Oh, I think a redundant can a spray would be a wise move. And use them both while screaming, "Taste liquid death, motherfarkerss!!!"

Back