Seismic/Survey Study

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Having some experience in site development, I passed the survey section relatively easy but failed the seismic. How much time would you guys recommend studying for the seismic portion? I don't want too spend too much time and get burned out before the exam.
This is my third attempt at seismic and I took hiner's review class before the last exam. I've already put in about 20 hours and i probably plan on putting in 40-60 more. I am trying to improve some of my weaker areas and improve my overall speed since the pace is so quick.

Do practice problems as much as you can and be VERY FAMILIAR with the codes and references. Minimum and maximum should be dealt with your background. Just make sure you have enough knowledge of each topic.

Goodluck.

question about the seismic portion of the exam...I've already passed the NCEES SEII exam, how does the seismic on the S&S exam compare to that of the SEII exam? I imagine I'm already in pretty good shape.

Last edited by a moderator:
question about the seismic portion of the exam...I've already passed the NCEES SEII exam, how does the seismic on the S&S exam compare to that of the SEII exam? I imagine I'm already in pretty good shape.
I believe you are ready. Most structural engineers I know did very well in the seismic exam because that's what they do for work.

Did you get your PE from another state?

yeah, I got my original PE from Texas, passed the SEII this past October, and now I'm licensed in DC, MD, VA, :wv: , MA, NV, WA, FL, PA, and I'm waiting for the April board meeting to get my IL SE.

yeah, I got my original PE from Texas, passed the SEII this past October, and now I'm licensed in DC, MD, VA, : :wv: :, MA, NV, WA, FL, PA, and I'm waiting for the April board meeting to get my IL SE.
That's a lot of annual fees to pay. Why so many licenses? Are you taking the seismic exam in CA? If so, you'll need to take the surveying exam as well.

Yeah, I'm taking the seismic and surveying exams in CA this April 17, in October I'm taking the Washington SEIII exam which will get me both a WA and a CA SE. My company does a lot of work all through the US and each of us project managers actually get to seal our own work, unlike many companies. Oh, and I'm not paying the annual fees, if I had to pay for all of these tests as well as the licensing fees I don't think I'd be this aggressive...

Latest posts

Back