Seismic/Survey Study

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EnvEngineer

Reaction score
I am getting ready for the seismic and surveying exam and studying. Currently I am going through Heiner and making some note sheets to help bring all the calculations together in one place for the seismic force problems. I will have a step by step process with all the tables and figures needed to work typical problems. This was very helpful when I took the construction exam for borrow problems and concrete mixing ect.

I wanted to start a tread where we can discuss what each is doing to prepare for these very difficult exams and what tool you are developing to put you over the top.

I am getting ready for the seismic and surveying exam and studying. Currently I am going through Heiner and making some note sheets to help bring all the calculations together in one place for the seismic force problems. I will have a step by step process with all the tables and figures needed to work typical problems. This was very helpful when I took the construction exam for borrow problems and concrete mixing ect.
I wanted to start a tread where we can discuss what each is doing to prepare for these very difficult exams and what tool you are developing to put you over the top.
I can only suggest that you devote more time to Surveying, since the exam is very lengthy and involves a lot of calculations, unlike Seismic. If you can, try reading the Steven Hiner seismic notes along-with the Lindeburg book "Seismic Design of Building Structures". Try to solve the problems in Steven Hiner's notes once all by yourself, without looking. As far as making tables and all, I don't see a point, especially since the notes are hardly 100 pages.

For seismic you need several tables and several equations to do a full problem, this required going through all three references hiner, IBC and ASCE since not all the tables are in one reference, there are also alot of if greater than, need not be more than. Pulling all this together in a couple of pages is helpful for me, I just grab and go through the process and dont have to page though the references. Time is pretty short.

I have some solution pages set up for surveying as well, everything I need to know about a particular problem on one page, grab page and go.

It works for me.

Just received my letter and I failed these Surveying & Seismic the 3rd time. I know it was my fault because I didn't review much due to work load and other priorities.

But this time, I will DO IT! Am committed to devote my time more in reviewing, this is my greatest challenge this time. :smileyballs:

EnvEngineer and other members who would like to commit... Let's DO IT this time! It's just a matter of DECISION. :mf_bounce8:

You guys can make it. Study hard and make sure you have the right workbooks for both exams, Seismic (Hiner) and Surveying (Reza)

Goodluck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am going on attempt number three at the seismic. Passed the survey and 8 hour already. I have taken the Hiner class and felt pretty good about seismic this time. This was my breakdown:

Seismic Data and Seismic Design Criteria (25%) Deficient

Seismic Charecteristics of Engineered Systems (16%) Proficient

Seismic Forces (32%) Deficient

Seismic Analysis Procedures (16%) Marginal

Seismic Detailing (11%) Marginal

I have Hiners book, ASCE 7, IBC 06, Seismic Prinicples Practice Exam, and just ordered 345 Solved Seismic Design Problems. Anyone have any advice on how I can increase the two areas I am defcient in? I am assuming I just have to keep doing practice problems.

I think seismic design and design criteria is all the background stuff in the first couple of chapters on Hiner. Seismic forces in the calcuations of the forces given the area and characteristics of the building, hiner is really good on this but most of the question book are out of date so it hard to get much practice on this.

What I am doing, there is alot of steps in doing the seismic calculations, I have put together a set of notes that have all the equations, table and figures you need to do strut forces, chord forces and seismic forces. I use it each time I work a problem and it works really well, I dont have to thumb thorugh hiner, IBC and ASCE to get all the number I need. I would suggest the same. Maybe once I get it into a nice form I can scan and share.

I think seismic design and design criteria is all the background stuff in the first couple of chapters on Hiner. Seismic forces in the calcuations of the forces given the area and characteristics of the building, hiner is really good on this but most of the question book are out of date so it hard to get much practice on this.
What I am doing, there is alot of steps in doing the seismic calculations, I have put together a set of notes that have all the equations, table and figures you need to do strut forces, chord forces and seismic forces. I use it each time I work a problem and it works really well, I dont have to thumb thorugh hiner, IBC and ASCE to get all the number I need. I would suggest the same. Maybe once I get it into a nice form I can scan and share.

make sure u have the 345 solved problems..it was a great help for me.

make sure u have the 345 solved problems..it was a great help for me.
Yeah, I am hoping the 345 solved problems can help me. I had the same problem as the above poster. I did a lot of the problems in the Hiner book, but felt over-matched during the test. His practice questions seem to out of touch.

I am doing the 345 right now, cant use the seismic force section since its out of date but the look up problems, chord and collector problems are good. I trying to order DR. Mansour 300 problems which are up to day using IBC, see how they are.

Guys,

This is what I did and I pass without any seminar. I reviewed Hiner's Workbook WITH IBC 2006 and ASCE 7. Familiarize with the problems and solved them without looking at the solution that way I got familiar with the formula and familiar with the codes because as you go through you keep on referencing the codes. Aim high don't set yourself to get through just the passing mark. Determination and hardwork is the key.

Hope that helps and goodluck.

for seismic , you don t need that many book ...all you need is to locate the tables and equations of Fp calc in ASCE7-05.....so just go through ASCE7-05 , seismic portion and highlight all tables and equations .... so ASCE7-05 is the best reference... i wish there was some codebook for surveying too

Disappointed because I thought I passed - thinking back, it was time that got me. Also, I lost the multiple choice portion of my Hiner workbook - someone at my office accidentally emptied out the binder I had those questions in. Would anyone be willing to share those? I have the entire review book (and paid for it) but am just missing those sections.

I'm just going to focus on becoming faster and wearing a watch next time!

Answering 50 seismic design questions in 2.5 hours (3 minutes per question) is grueling, especially if you're not a structural engineer. If you don't know how to answer a question after reading it, then it's too late to learn the process and you'll have to guess. Also, there is no time to go back to unanswered questions. This is the same approach you should take when studying. You will need to struggle to succeed and there are no shortcuts in learning the material or when taking the test.

Remember that the seismic and surveying exams are taken after the 8-hour exam and the pace is twice as fast. It's like sprinting after jogging!

Answering 50 seismic design questions in 2.5 hours (3 minutes per question) is grueling, especially if you're not a structural engineer. If you don't know how to answer a question after reading it, then it's too late to learn the process and you'll have to guess. Also, there is no time to go back to unanswered questions. This is the same approach you should take when studying. You will need to struggle to succeed and there are no shortcuts in learning the material or when taking the test.
Remember that the seismic and surveying exams are taken after the 8-hour exam and the pace is twice as fast. It's like sprinting after jogging!
Its funny, I see a lot of structural guys struggling with the survey, which I found easy because I am in transportation. They find seismic easier, where as I am struggling with it big time. I know what you mean about the pace though. I know the survey stuff really well and I still skipped most of the bearing/offset questions (still passed) because they take too long unless you know what you are instantly doing. They aren't too difficult, they just take a lot of time. So I guess I will have to apply this technique to the seismic as it is my last hurdle. Just to get as familiar with all the formulas and practice a lot.

Indeed surveying is more intense with calculations than seismic. Dedicated studying time is of the essence. I think I put in about 40 hours on seismic alone on top of the 32 hours I sat in on Hiner's class. It's not something to brag about maybe because it's too much time compared to others who have passed, but I'm just thankful I passed on the first attempt.

Good luck!

Having some experience in site development, I passed the survey section relatively easy but failed the seismic. How much time would you guys recommend studying for the seismic portion? I don't want too spend too much time and get burned out before the exam.

Latest posts

Back