SE Exam Test Prep Topic

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you might want to brush up on a buoyancy problem or two...

at what level can a water table effect a buried tank with varying specific weight of material?

this is just an example that I brushed over, but could be on the test and pad your score if you just have something handy...

there are lots of low lying fruit on the test. the trick is just identifying it and moving on...
for the afternoon portion?

Right now the only thing I'm worried about is concrete. I do a lot of basic concrete stuff at work but multistory buildings, continuous frames, and basically anything high-rise concrete I have never done outside of a classroom. Do you have any items that you recommend I take a look at before the exam? I know I need to make sure I can bang out a beam to column connection so that's going to be the majority of my focus tonight. Other than that I can't think of anything specific that there's a good chance they might pull out on the test, beside basic concrete retaining walls, footings, or beams.

I would take a look at the ACI 318-08 PCA notes - the chapters involving column design and stability for moment frames and shearwalls in combination are very good... there is a check to determine if you can use sidesway uninhibited in a real world problem. The PCA Notes are really an outstanding reference.
what is this check you speak of that allows you to use the side sway unhibited? is it that formula with Q in it?

Good point on buoyancy. I should be all set for that. I've done a ton of buried structures at work and shouldn't have any problem with those. simply calculate that volume of water displaced and you have your buoyancy force. counteracting force is the weight of your structure conservatively light. Ignore soil friction and any soil angle for simplicity.

The point is well taken though, no sense not being able to do an easy problem. don't want to miss the low hanging fruit as you said.

Back