SE Exam Design Standards - AASHTO Specification

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello I cannot find a copy of AASHTO LRFD Bridge Design Specifications (8th Edition) anywhere - despite the huge cost I’m seeing here. Can anyone point me in the right direction? My firm does buildings so I’m not able to find anyone at my office who has this.

Not to be *too* curmudgeonly, but I sure hope no one from AASHTO sees this thread. I don't think they'd be thrilled to see their copyright being repeatedly violated.

In a profession that is supposed to have high ethical standards, this is discomfiting.

Last edited:
How are people printing this PDF? Isn't it 1700 pages? Or is there just a specific section that we need to print?

I think in reality you probably just need part 1 which is the first 6 chapters.

That is still a 1050 pages lol. Are people just standing at the printer at work and printing 1000 pages?
Well if you don't want to print a PDF then I guess your options are to either buy a copy from AASHTO or to go without it.

Well if you don't want to print a PDF then I guess your options are to either buy a copy from AASHTO or to go without it.
I'm not saying that I don't want to print it, I'm asking about logistics. How are people efficiently printing and binding this document.

There is probably only a handful that are not taking the entire code.
Yeah, if I'm going to go through the trouble to print and bind it, I might as well print the whole thing. I'm just wondering now how unwieldly 1700 pages is. That's like 4 text books.

I have 3 small binders that each have the following sections, 1-4, 5, and 6. Then on binder for the rest. And I have a Summary binder with the index and cheat sheets.

I have 3 small binders that each have the following sections, 1-4, 5, and 6. Then on binder for the rest. And I have a Summary binder with the index and cheat sheets.
I think I like this, since it'll be easier to use/navigate smaller binders. Thanks for the input on what you guys are using, appreciate it.

So I was able to print it at Office Max for educational purposes. I think it cost around $100. You could also print two pages to a sheet front and back and that would cut down on the amount of paper.

I'm not saying that I don't want to print it, I'm asking about logistics. How are people efficiently printing and binding this document.
I broke it down into 3 smaller binders in a way that made sense to me. First was something like analysis, loads, and maybe wood. Second was steel and concrete. Third binder had everything else.
Get prepunched paper.
Printing depends on your equipment. I used my office printer that could print on both sides by itself. Printing on a small home printer that doesn’t flip pages is a lot more time consuming.

Back