Sandy

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt Worley PE

Run silent, run deep
Reaction score
The worst case scenario for the East Coast involves Sandy paralleling the coast from Florida to the Carolinas this weekend before being drawn inland over the mid-Atlantic or New England early next week.

While the Southeast coast would face heavy rain, strong winds and rough surf, far more serious impacts await communities from Virginia to Maine if this solution pans out.

Reminiscent of the "Perfect Storm" during the week of Halloween 1991, damaging winds and significant storm surge would unfold near and northeast of its center along the coast. Similar to the 1991 storm, these conditions could last for days.

In addition, if the storm were to move inland, unlike the storm in 1991, torrential rain would blast the I-95 corridor and heavy, wet snow would evolve over part of the Appalachian Mountains on the system's western and southwestern flank.
http://www.accuweath...t-tropic/546066

Last edited by a moderator:
The important thing is that it misses me.

NEW YORK (AP) -- The effects of the superstorm that flooded parts of the city are lingering into Tuesday and likely will for much longer, with a large swath of the city out of power, subway and vehicle tunnels flooded, and the financial district closed for a second day.

A fire destroyed at least 50 houses overnight in Queens' flooded Rockaway peninsula and forced the rescue of about 25 people from an upstairs apartment. Officials weren't immediately able to pin down the cause of the blaze.
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_SUPERSTORM_NYC?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2012-10-29-21-19-48

I noticed that they stopped calling it a hurricane before it made landfall due to some technicalities over it's shape or something, so the article I read this morning called it Superstorm Sandy. Can't believe they are capitalizing the S.

However, I hope that everyone that is in an area being affected by Sandy is safe.

Maybe more appropriate in the "Funny Picture" thread...

http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Hurricane+Snooki.+****+THUMBS_2b2a47_4199171.jpg

It was pretty nasty but we got through Round 1 without too many issues last night. Luckily, I still have power. Mostly just large tree limbs down where I am.

Not looking forward to when the storm hooks back to the northeast as the models show it going pretty much right over me. It won't be as intense by then, but it will still be windy and we'll get nice and soaked.

Last edited by a moderator:
562045_452806908118720_838438050_n.jpg

As a former resident of the Gulf Coast, is it wrong of me to want to laugh at the people of New York like they laugh at us when we would get a "Blizzard". C'mon people, it was only a Cat 1 storm, based on the news coverage you'd think the world were coming to an end.

As a former resident of the Gulf Coast, is it wrong of me to want to laugh at the people of New York like they laugh at us when we would get a "Blizzard". C'mon people, it was only a Cat 1 storm, based on the news coverage you'd think the world were coming to an end.
It soumds as if you, too, are not impressed.

I guess I'm a little tired of reading headlines like "Unthinkable Devastation" when there have been storms that have been much much worse then this one.

I guess I'm a little tired of reading headlines like "Unthinkable Devastation" when there have been storms that have been much much worse then this one.
I can't see why tunnels that are below sea level flooding are unthinkable devastation. That's usually the FIRST thing I think when I hear a storms gonna hit some city with stuff below sea level.

I think the majority of the "devistation" stems from the fact that these regions are not prepared for the storms the same way other regions are. 2" of snow here makes the commute to work suck a little bit, but it will shut down operations in other areas because the DOT's and cities don't have the snow plows, de-icers, or properly equipped vehicles to work through it. Adding to this is the fact that the local vegetation isn't used to these events. A tree in CO is used to handling several inches of snow and heavy winds fairly regularly. That's not to say branches still dont break and fall, but they typically do so when they are smaller.

Honestly, how many people in NC have Northface jackets, studded snow tires, and snow boots? Probably the same amount as those of us in CO and UT with extra sheets of plywood lying around to board up our windows during storm season.

when you have as many people living as closely together as they do in NYC, flooding of the underground mass transit system is quite a problem. If trucks are unable to bring fresh supplies into the city, it's a problem. The news might be laying on the hyperbole a bit, but as a locale where a fair number of national television shows emanate from the disruption of the storm effects and constant airing of the storm remnants on these national shows makes it a "national" problem.

Closing the NYSE has international implications. Storm categories are based on wind speeds. Although Cat 1 winds would be the lowest on the scale they are sufficient to cause a lot of problems in such a desnly populated area.

^^

I understand that. But the effects that are being felt were not unexpected and certainly not "Unthinkable".

I have to laugh at the news coverage this thing is getting. I really do. It goes to show how the outside states worry so much about little storms. Maybe I'm being a little cynical, but toughen up people!

Recently, Anchorage had winds of 120mph + that knocked out power to 150,000+ residents for 4-5 days with temps right around freezing. I know that it didn't make any headlines outside of Alaska; it may have been a minor quip in someones news report. People were prepared with generators and alternative heating devices to stay warm, then were out cutting up the trees to help the utility crews cleanup the damage. That same storm caused severe flooding of several rivers, washing out sections of roads, the railroad tracks and prevented supplies from making it into the state (as well as getting distributed). Did we shut everything down and hide? nope, we went to work as it was another day. And to think, Anchorage is the most densely populated city in the state!

Things don't shut down around here for a wind storm, heavy rain, or even some ice storms. Thanksgiving last year put 1/4" of solid ice on all the roads that did effectively shut things down since no one could drive anywhere without tire chains on their rigs; but that didn't even make headlines like these storms in the lower 48 do. I drove to town to get some supplies and found most of the stores were still open since most employees could make it in by walking to work. That didn't help those living further out, but nearly everyone I know is prepared to survive for at least a week without having to drive anywhere.

People need to be prepared to live in their surroundings for more than a day. Be prepared for a week or two of no-power, no trips to town, no roads, etc... Have a backup generator for powering necessary electrical items, have a stocked pantry with canned goods, have tools to cut up any trees that may be blocking your road.

I'm not talking about the survivorist methodology or thinking; I'm just saying basic preparedness. Be able to rely on yourself.

The excess news on this "storm" is just hype, as a nation, we have survived much worse and will continue to do so; we don't need a minute by minute play of what is going on.

Back