Rich old acquaintances

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This year is the big 30 reunion for me. We haven't had one since the 10th.

The class president was a pretty good friend of mine and I have run into a few times over the years. I contacted him and we started to organize a 25th back then but it never materialized. I'd like to get a 30th together, but I don't want to go "upscale". Like Ray said, I'm not forking out a c-note or two to attend. To me getting together a local function hall and shooting the breeze is the best scenario. That's where the 25th planning died, because he was so intent on making it a big hoopla that it just never happened.

I called the prez but so far he hasn't returned my phone call. We were only ~170 graduating I figured if we get half, that's pretty good.

Last year was my 10th high school renunion.

I honestly didn't even care to go.

Dang, next year will be my 25th. I remember when my parents went to their 25th.

:eek:ld-025:

I had fun at both my 10th and 20th. I wasn't the popular jock or the dweeby band guy but I was friends with just about everybody. Actually I was the even more nerdy Yearbook Editor/photographer.

All in all I was a slightly overweight geek who turned out pretty well and married way over my head.

My best point in the night came when the head cheerleader who I had no idea who she was came over to my buddy and myself and started talking to us. After a few awkward moments and me trying to figure out who in the devil she was, I finally asked who she was married to in our class and then she said I'm so and so. I knew who she was but she didn't look anywhere near what she did in HS.

All in all from my experiences with these things. The people you really want to see don't show up and the ones you really don't do, but with the right group you could have a lot of fun.

My only regret of the night was that I didn't run into her until after my 4th beer. That made it difficult to follow as she explained tropospheric atmospheric spectrometry.
But probably made it easier to stare at her boobs while she prattled on!

All in all from my experiences with these things. The people you really want to see don't show up and the ones you really don't do, but with the right group you could have a lot of fun.
My parents still live in the town where I went to HS, and it's within driving distance. So I'll call it an excuse to visit and go. I'm hoping it's just something in the high school gym as opposed to something fancy where I gotta shell out a lot of coin. I'm interested, just not that interested.

The following year is my wife's. That would involve flying all the way to Wash State. May have to think a little harder about that one. ;)

We went to Mr. Bug's 10th high school reunion last year. Our motive for going was, quite honestly, to see what happened to the people we couldn't stand back in school. We live close to our hometown and our parents still live there, so we hear from time to time about many of our old classmates, courtesy of mom and dad and my FIL. We also run into people all the time.

We went to the same high school, so I knew many of his classmates. It helped make the evening more pleasant for me. At the end the class opened up attendance to anyone who graduated the year before or after them (they didn't get enough people to fill the hall) and there were a few acquaintances from the class between Mr. Bug's and mine who were there.

Honestly it was a bit awkward for us to be around Mr. Bug's old friends...we didn't really fit in. Half of the old crowd seems to be single or recently engaged and living in tiny apartments in large cities (NYC, Boston, DC, etc.) and focusing on grad school and high powered careers (none of them are married). The other half seems to have married young and had children already, and typically didn't go to college and were working in blue collar occupations or skilled trades. I'm sure some of them felt as awkward as we did, but it just seemed like we didn't fit in anywhere.

The biggest surprise was that one of the class druggies wound up converting to the Mormon faith (no drinking or drugs anymore!) during college and is a married father of three kids who is a very happy elementary school teacher. One of the "dumb" jocks somehow made it through college and is a producer for ESPN now. We few girls who seemed really on-the-ball in high school wound up getting pregnant and dropping out of college to raise children. Mostly, everyone was how we expected them to be - Mr. Bug was very much an average kind of guy back then, and honestly our lifestyle now is very average. There were only a few surprises overall with how people turned out.

Mr. Bug got an award for most unusual job held since graduation (one of his summer internships involved him being the mascot for a local minor league hockey team). We enjoyed the free booze and didn't go to the after-party. It was entertaining, and we'll go to my 10th next year if my class holds one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back