Resource for additional exam-type (power) questions??

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElecPwrPEOct11

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm taking the EE Power exam next month (October). I've studied a couple of textbooks and taken half the NCEES practice test to gauge my readiness. I'd REALLY like to keep practicing with more exam-type questions but am at a lack of where to get more sample questions. I own Camara's Power Reference Manuals so I was going to get his Practice Problems as well. However, Amazon reviewers say that the questions it contains are nothing like the real exam. I don't see this as being very helpful.

I just found "Power Sample Exams for the Electrical and Computer PE Exam", also by Camara. It supposedly has 2 full-length mock exams. Has anyone used this resource? Has anyone found other resources for practicing realistic exam questions? I'd really like to find out what works for people before blowing another $70 on a book I'll only use once. Thanks a ton for any help.

Jay

PS- I'm saving the other half of the NCEES practice exam for two weeks before the exam- another gauge of my preparedness.

Hello,
I'm taking the EE Power exam next month (October). I've studied a couple of textbooks and taken half the NCEES practice test to gauge my readiness. I'd REALLY like to keep practicing with more exam-type questions but am at a lack of where to get more sample questions. I own Camara's Power Reference Manuals so I was going to get his Practice Problems as well. However, Amazon reviewers say that the questions it contains are nothing like the real exam. I don't see this as being very helpful.

I just found "Power Sample Exams for the Electrical and Computer PE Exam", also by Camara. It supposedly has 2 full-length mock exams. Has anyone used this resource? Has anyone found other resources for practicing realistic exam questions? I'd really like to find out what works for people before blowing another $70 on a book I'll only use once. Thanks a ton for any help.

Jay

PS- I'm saving the other half of the NCEES practice exam for two weeks before the exam- another gauge of my preparedness.

Try the compleximaginary Power PE tests they are very similar to actual exam problems. www.compleximaginary.com they also have some sample problems from each of the 4 exams

I just worked the NCEES exam over and over and over and over and over

And some problems out of Chelapati's book

I didn't bother with Camara

Hello,

Jay

Try Complex imaginary the examples are based on the NCEES problems, Highly recommended.

www.compleximaginary.com

Hello,

Jay

There are many sample exams available, the ones I am using are:

1. NCEES (80 prob)

2. Kaplan (80 prob)

3. Complex Imag (4X80 = 320)

4. Exam Cafe (197)

5. 6min solutions - ( there are some power questions in it.)

6. Camara's Power Sample Exam (80 prob)

I have found the NCEES as the best (No errors). The kaplan is good, has a few errors but harder. I noticed after doing the Kaplan exam (struggled), I learned more from it than the other exams. Camara's sample exam is good also.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

Jay

There are many sample exams available, the ones I am using are:

1. NCEES (80 prob)

2. Kaplan (80 prob)

3. Complex Imag (4X80 = 320)

4. Exam Cafe (197)

5. 6min solutions - ( there are some power questions in it.)

6. Camara's Power Sample Exam (80 prob)

I have found the NCEES as the best (No errors). The kaplan is good, has a few errors but harder. I noticed after doing the Kaplan exam (struggled), I learned more from it than the other exams. Camara's sample exam is good also.

For the 6min solutions, I count 30 prob that relate to the power PE exam in the sections of power, measurement and Instrumentation and code. Doing these today, will let you know what I think of them.

Thanks everyone for the good prompt responses! I had never heard of ComplexImaginary before so will definitely start using that site. I see they have 4 practice tests, but are they all power exams? It's not clear to me.

I've heard that Chelapati's book is good, but can't find it anywhere online. Does anyone have a link to where to get it? I found these 'review manuals' in PDF form: http://www.irvine-institute.org/pe_elect.htm

Are they what people are using & recommending?

EEVA- thanks for the posts, and curious what you think of the 6min solutions problems. Also, I believe the Camara practice exam book contains 2 full length exams, EEVA can you verify?

The errors in the Kaplan book- do they cause a different (incorrect) answer to the problem? Or are they minor mistakes that don't affect the problems significantly?

I had no idea there were so many practice exams out there. If compleximaginary is power-specific I think I'll start there and use Kaplan as well. And try not to spend too much $$$ on it all (anyone looking to sell their books?). Thanks again to everyone!

Thanks everyone for the good prompt responses! I had never heard of ComplexImaginary before so will definitely start using that site. I see they have 4 practice tests, but are they all power exams? It's not clear to me.
I've heard that Chelapati's book is good, but can't find it anywhere online. Does anyone have a link to where to get it? I found these 'review manuals' in PDF form: http://www.irvine-institute.org/pe_elect.htm

EEVA- thanks for the posts, and curious what you think of the 6min solutions problems. Also, I believe the Camara practice exam book contains 2 full length exams, EEVA can you verify?

The errors in the Kaplan book- do they cause a different (incorrect) answer to the problem? Or are they minor mistakes that don't affect the problems significantly?

I had no idea there were so many practice exams out there. If compleximaginary is power-specific I think I'll start there and use Kaplan as well. And try not to spend too much $$$ on it all (anyone looking to sell their books?). Thanks again to everyone!

The Complex Imaginary books are excellent. More realistic, and a good supplement for study along with the NCEES booklet. If you practice them the way the author recommends, you shouldn't have any problem preparing for the Electrical Power PE exam. I would also take advantage of Complex Imaginary's free videos as well. Good luck on the exam.

Aerofrank

That's the right place for the Chelapati book, click where it says buy. The pdf is just the table of contents.

If you want to save money, I'd pass on getting the Kaplan material unless you are really desperate for additional problems. The Kaplan problems don't follow the NCEES format and go into more depth than you'll see on the exam. And it is riddled with errors to the point some of the solutions come out wrong. It may actually do more harm than good in this regard for learning basic concepts.

The Camara sample exam has 2. There are 160 problems not 80. I thought it was good.

All 4 of Complex Imaginary's practice tests are for the Power PE. So, yes, Complex Imaginary is "power-specific".

Completed the 6min solutions stuff today. My book was used, edition 1 print # 3, 2002. Not sure what changes were made in the newer release(s). I only did what applied to the power exam. There where 3 sections that I thought applied, power, Measurement and Instrumentation , and code. There were 28 problems that I thought applied to the exam content for the power exam. I originally thought there were 30 , but eliminated 2 from the code section because they applied to computer type problems.

My opinion of this book is:

1. Not enough problems, only 28 that applied to power exam (This book was made prior to this new exam format)

2. Very good solution section, alot of detail was provided on how the answer was obtained.

3. The power section was easy. Did not learn anything new from it. The only gain I received was the transformer problem that reenforced the concept of WYE-Delta conversions in transformers.

4. The Measurement and Instrumentation section, I learned new things. The ANSI C84.1 for nominal voltage (120), got myself a printout of the power supply voltage ranges. Johnson noise voltage was new to me. There were good questions on d'Arsonval meters. There were 2 questions on Op Amps (not sure if Op Amps are going to be in the exam - Does anyone know?). Over all this section was good.

5. The code section had problems on the NEC. But gained some knowledge about receptacle load calculations, demand factor, and calculating the voltage and angles when a delta transformer phase is tapped at the center and taken to ground.

Completed the 6min solutions stuff today. My book was used, edition 1 print # 3, 2002. Not sure what changes were made in the newer release(s). I only did what applied to the power exam. There where 3 sections that I thought applied, power, Measurement and Instrumentation , and code. There were 28 problems that I thought applied to the exam content for the power exam. I originally thought there were 30 , but eliminated 2 from the code section because they applied to computer type problems.

1. Not enough problems, only 28 that applied to power exam (This book was made prior to this new exam format)

2. Very good solution section, alot of detail was provided on how the answer was obtained.

3. The power section was easy. Did not learn anything new from it. The only gain I received was the transformer problem that reenforced the concept of WYE-Delta conversions in transformers.

4. The Measurement and Instrumentation section, I learned new things. The ANSI C84.1 for nominal voltage (120), got myself a printout of the power supply voltage ranges. Johnson noise voltage was new to me. There were good questions on d'Arsonval meters. There were 2 questions on Op Amps (not sure if Op Amps are going to be in the exam - Does anyone know?). Over all this section was good.

5. The code section had problems on the NEC. But gained some knowledge about receptacle load calculations, demand factor, and calculating the voltage and angles when a delta transformer phase is tapped at the center and taken to ground.

Well people I'm thinking on starting the complex imaginary tests tomorrow. I have the 4 test i hope i can finish all of them. During this week worked on the Power supplementary problems from Camara....AC machinery is tuff on that book....I can only solve 1-4 or 5 without any problems...also 10 and 11 from 6-9 those are kind of hard to do. Does any one find difficult this section or it is only me?

Does transient circuits come in the exam? any ideas?

4. The Measurement and Instrumentation section, I learned new8 things. The ANSI C84.1 for nominal voltage (120), got myself a printout of the power supply voltage ranges. Johnson noise voltage was new to me. There were good questions on d'Arsonval meters. There were 2 questions on Op Amps (not sure if Op Amps are going to be in the exam - Does anyone know?). Over all this section was good.

Well people I'm thinking on starting the complex imaginary tests tomorrow. I have the 4 test i hope i can finish all of them. During this week worked on the Power supplementary problems from Camara....AC machinery is tuff on that book....I can only solve 1-4 or 5 without any problems...also 10 and 11 from 6-9 those are kind of hard to do. Does any one find difficult this section or it is only me?

I highly recommend the complex imaginary practice problems, they follow the ncees format closely while providing another view to similar problems and whole new problems covering similar material. They make you think. I think I'm going to buy the other two, if I have time to finish them. There isn't much time left!

Is there a book called Power supplementary problems from Camara. I have not seen that one, or are you referring to the Power Practice Problems? I forgot about the Power Practice Problem book, I have it sitting on my shelf gathering dust. More new problems to work, thanks for the reminder.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all for the advice. On all your positive recommendations I just purchased 2 of the ComplexImaginary problem books. They sound great and I'm excited to get them. Note to ComplexImaginary/Josh- Shipping was a bit steep- wish there was a more affordable option (especially if ordering 1 book).

@Wildsoldier- I don't have the Practice Problems from Camara, but the reviews on Amazon haven't been flattering. I imagine there will be some transient type problems on the test. NCEES problem #135 is a good one. It's straightforward if you can find the right equations quickly. I also bet we'll see a pickup type problem like #137.

@EEVA- What's the ANSI C84.1 standard you mentioned? Standard line voltages for low, medium, high? If you have a PDF can you upload it to share? I really need to start printing quick reference sheets for some of this stuff. Digging through the NEC to find the conductor tables is not an efficient use of time. In case anyone is looking, the whole NEC is available for free online at NFPA.org. It's read-only but you can print pages from it.

Also, EEVa, it sounds like you have quite a collection of books! I've heard stories of engineers bringing small wagons with their materials, EEVA is that you? :) If it works, it works. Btw, are you taking the test in Virginia (a guess from your nickname?).

Thanks all for the advice. On all your positive recommendations I just purchased 2 of the ComplexImaginary problem books. They sound great and I'm excited to get them. Note to ComplexImaginary/Josh- Shipping was a bit steep- wish there was a more affordable option (especially if ordering 1 book).
@Wildsoldier- I don't have the Practice Problems from Camara, but the reviews on Amazon haven't been flattering. I imagine there will be some transient type problems on the test. NCEES problem #135 is a good one. It's straightforward if you can find the right equations quickly. I also bet we'll see a pickup type problem like #137.

@EEVA- What's the ANSI C84.1 standard you mentioned? Standard line voltages for low, medium, high? If you have a PDF can you upload it to share? I really need to start printing quick reference sheets for some of this stuff. Digging through the NEC to find the conductor tables is not an efficient use of time. In case anyone is looking, the whole NEC is available for free online at NFPA.org. It's read-only but you can print pages from it.

Also, EEVa, it sounds like you have quite a collection of books! I've heard stories of engineers bringing small wagons with their materials, EEVA is that you? :) If it works, it works. Btw, are you taking the test in Virginia (a guess from your nickname?).
1. The ANSI C84.1 is the national standard for voltage regulation. I think there is one chart of importance, not sure if this will be useful. I just wrote down the important ranges into my notes which will be my main reference book for the exam. This standard was mentioned in the 6min solution sample exam.

2. I plan on using just 2 books during the exam. My reference notes which I have been putting together that should allow me to find most of the formulas within 10 sec that I need if I do not remember them. The other book that will be needed is the NEC. I will be taking approx 15 other books that will have a low probability of being needed. I am taking these 15 books for a peace of mind.

Back