Renting videos from the store

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Blockbuster closed a week or two ago. It sucks. I don't play many games or watch many movies, but it was nice to have one around when I wanted that service. I don't know where the nearest rental place is at this point.

Good riddance, Blockbuster has been crap for years. I personally dont have much sympathy for businesses that remain stagnant when the market changes. Good riddance for Borders too, another chain that rested on its laurels instead of being aware of the market.

weve been using the online netflix for a few months and I have to say their selection seems very limited...

We got a new dvd player with the built in wi-fi and it has a feature you can rent movies for $2.00 instantly for 48 hours, it has new releases and eliminates a trip to the store to do redbox.. we havent used it a lot but its nice, and much better than what the cable companies charge for movies on demand..

I think the cable companies are very scared of all this online netflix, hulu, etc, which is good, I am sick of paying $60 / month for cable (amongst other things) I have been serioulsy thinking about only getting cable for the 6 months during football season and just going without the other 6 months..

speaking of hulu, I need to check to see if last night was a new house episode. we went to St.louis blues/chicago blackhawks game yesterday and then went out to eat. I totally forgot it was monday yesterday.

I think the cable companies are very scared of all this online netflix, hulu, etc, which is good, I am sick of paying $60 / month for cable (amongst other things) I have been serioulsy thinking about only getting cable for the 6 months during football season and just going without the other 6 months..
This is kind of the reason why the online content on Netflix is so limited. The Cable/Media companies don't want to release the content to Netflix to stream fearing that it would make their cable networks unnecessary. I think they are only delaying the inevitable.

Angry much?
No, I'm not angry. I just got really turned off by Blockbuster when they started peddling candy, junk electronics, and overpriced movies for sale and neglected the rentals. If you showed up after 3pm on a Friday, all that was left was the row of Mona Lisa Smile or direct to DVD Disney movies, and you had to trip over screaming children, marked up video game steering wheels, and 30 pounds of Mike n' Ikes on the way out the door. I just dont see why anybody has any sadness over its inevitable demise since it couldn't figure out how to compete.

we use Video on Demand directly through the cable company. I'll admit I'm not a movie buff that has to seel them all so it's works for me to pay $5 a movie occassionaly and not have to go anywhere or pay monthly for a subscription service like NetFlix. Ithink Blockbuster is still alive down the street but I have not been in there in years.

I am sick of paying $60 / month for cable (amongst other things) I have been serioulsy thinking about only getting cable for the 6 months during football season and just going without the other 6 months..
Try 75 dollars a month. Its ridiculous, especially when I consider that I spent 25 a month in 1995 for more channels.

Has the cost to send electrons really tripled in 16 years? Really?

I am sick of paying $60 / month for cable (amongst other things) I have been serioulsy thinking about only getting cable for the 6 months during football season and just going without the other 6 months..
Try 75 dollars a month. Its ridiculous, especially when I consider that I spent 25 a month in 1995 for more channels.

But those are HD electrons!!

No, that's just for the basic electron package. The HD electrons cost even more!

Last edited by a moderator:

No, that's just for the basic electron package. The HD electrons cost even more!
Comcast here in Cali is really sticking it to me, mostly because the alternatives suck. I'm paying $160/month for cable and internet including taxes, $5/month for cable modem rental, $8 EACH just for having HD boxes instead of regular non HD boxes. I dont even have any fancy channels. They really screw you when you dont have a phone line in the bundle.

Comcast here in Cali is really sticking it to me, mostly because the alternatives suck. I'm paying $160/month for cable and internet including taxes, $5/month for cable modem rental, $8 EACH just for having HD boxes instead of regular non HD boxes. I dont even have any fancy channels. They really screw you when you dont have a phone line in the bundle.
Ouch. I despise Comcast. If I have any other reasonable alternative I will use it. The issue of not having a home phone line kept me tied to them for sometime though. Until recently all the DSL internet providers in the area required you to have a phone line to have internet. This pushed the price of their slower internet service up to being on par with what Comcast was charging, so it didn't make sense. But not to long ago (well maybe a year or more by now) I signed up for Clear and I have been very happy. No home phone line and "high speed" internet for only $30 a month. It looks like they have changed their pricing structure. I am on a 3Mbps download, 500Kbps upload plan for just $30 a month. That is slower than what I had at Comcast, but it was significantly cheaper for internet and it allowed me to get Dish for TV (which had better rates for TV service for my area). Since Clear uses cell phone towers this service isn't for everyone, and they aren't in all markets. I have been very happy with my service however. It worked right out of the box and I can not think of any outages that I've experienced in the year (plus) that I've used it. Unlike Comcast which seemed to crap out weekly on me.

The internet speeds are fast enough to do everything I need. I don't know that I would download large files using it, but I can stream Netflix, use VOIP, and play video games online without any problems. I've never tried doing those things simultaneously though.

my sister has Clear because she just can't afford the cable/internet combo with rent, car, student loans. She has had no problems with it either while in a metropolitan area, but it didn't work when she came down by us this past weekend.

I have Time Warner and loathe it. I LOVED AT&T U-Verse when I had it back in TX. With stupid Time Warner, it's slower, I get fewer channels with less quality, and a much, much crappier DVR. With one box and internet, my bill is $128/mo.

my sister has Clear because she just can't afford the cable/internet combo with rent, car, student loans. She has had no problems with it either while in a metropolitan area, but it didn't work when she came down by us this past weekend.
When I signed up it was in only a handful of markets and it is pretty much limited to metropolitan areas. It is nothing more than a 4G cell network with a modem that you can hook up to a computer or home network, so as more and more cell phone companies expand their 4G networks you will see the availability for this type of product in more markets. I've never tried traveling with it, but it could be done pretty easily as long as the area you were traveling to had Clear service as well.

SapperPE said:
I ditched cable long ago and have not regretted it since. My entire audio-visual entertainment setup includes regular broadcast television (in free, crystal clear high definition), streaming netflix, streaming voodoo, and our collection of DVD's that we've acquired through the years.
I've considered doing that, but my only reason for holding onto cable television is sports. College sports. They don't broadcast many of the games I want to watch on over the air tv.

Ouch. I despise Comcast. If I have any other reasonable alternative I will use it. The issue of not having a home phone line kept me tied to them for sometime though. Until recently all the DSL internet providers in the area required you to have a phone line to have internet. This pushed the price of their slower internet service up to being on par with what Comcast was charging, so it didn't make sense. But not to long ago (well maybe a year or more by now) I signed up for Clear and I have been very happy. No home phone line and "high speed" internet for only $30 a month. It looks like they have changed their pricing structure. I am on a 3Mbps download, 500Kbps upload plan for just $30 a month. That is slower than what I had at Comcast, but it was significantly cheaper for internet and it allowed me to get Dish for TV (which had better rates for TV service for my area). Since Clear uses cell phone towers this service isn't for everyone, and they aren't in all markets. I have been very happy with my service however. It worked right out of the box and I can not think of any outages that I've experienced in the year (plus) that I've used it. Unlike Comcast which seemed to crap out weekly on me.

The internet speeds are fast enough to do everything I need. I don't know that I would download large files using it, but I can stream Netflix, use VOIP, and play video games online without any problems. I've never tried doing those things simultaneously though.
My favorite combo was Verizon Fios. It was slightly more than what I was paying for Comcast in DC, but cheaper than what I'm paying for Comcast in California. It had a lot more channels than Comcast, better picture quality, better service, and the internet was stupid fast. Every few weeks I have to go downstairs and restart my router with Comcast, but I never had a single problem or drop in service with Fios. If they ever put that into your area, it's 100% worth it.

SapperPE said:
I ditched cable long ago and have not regretted it since. My entire audio-visual entertainment setup includes regular broadcast television (in free, crystal clear high definition), streaming netflix, streaming voodoo, and our collection of DVD's that we've acquired through the years.
Costs me about $30 / month unless I rent a voodoo movie, which I usually don't. $10 for netflix and I estimate that approximately 1/3 of my internet bill goes toward providing bandwidth for our movie viewing, so that's the other $20. No, I can't watch things immediately when they are aired like you guys can, but I can watch damn near everything online at some point or another, so I just wait for it.
So what kind of equipment do you have for that streaming setup? I was thinking about converting my current laptop into a streaming only machine via HDMI when I get a new one. The other option I was thinking was one of the Popcorn Hour, Boxee Box, or Roku setups. I'm definitely quitting cable when I move next month so I'm probably cutting the cord for good.

i just cut the comcast cable!

I picked up a $100 HD antenea and it does 4 TV's pretty well (with a booster) I cant wait until my neighbors see it bolted to the side of the house, good thing spring is coming and the leaves are about to bloom

I think I got about 18 chanels, and I will miss FX and AMC the most though..

My kids are groaning, but I am so sick of frickin television & the bills! & surfing through 100 channels not finding shit to watch..

so we have just the netflix bill $8.0 / month and have a DVD player with wifi, and the wi, and I will probably get another device eventually to watch it on..

it may be painful, but I think eventually we can get used to it, it may be very difficult come football season though..

Back