Recession Raise/Bonus

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I generally dislike any sort of field work and have never worked in the field, I was hoping utilities work had office based engineering work as well.
Oh, so you're going to be one of those engineers who doesn't actually step foot in the field to gain any relevant experience whatsoever. We deal with a lot of those engineers where I work in the power industry. They have a tendency to "engineer" solutions by copying old specs to write new ones, even though they have zero clue as to how the field is impacted. They cost us millions annually.

Good luck on your fatty salary. Every employer I know would laugh you out of the office during the interview with those sort of attitudes and demands.

Oh, and our highest paid engineers are the ones with the most field experience.

I generally dislike any sort of field work and have never worked in the field, I was hoping utilities work had office based engineering work as well.
You're afraid they'll frag you and bury you someplace, aren't you? Probably a good idea to be cautious about that.

You're afraid they'll frag you and bury you someplace, aren't you? Probably a good idea to be cautious about that.
:rotflmao:

In the civil/environmental field that I work in, if you don't get field experience the contractors will beat you to death via change order because you don't know what they are talking about...and believe me, contractors know if you have field experience or not.

I learned a long time ago from a mechanical engineer in college that you should always check with the guy who has to make the part to see if it is doable or not

That's what entry level engineers used to do at power plants. You get assigned jobs that force you to go out there and get dirty as hell. In the mid 90s, factoring in OT, I was grossing a little over 100k in years with both a Spring and Fall refuel outage. You work enough consecutive 12-hour days and you can put a little in the bank. Life was pretty much work-sleep-repeat but the money was good.
Working that much OT for only 100k is not really that much money (maybe it was better money in the very early 90's), now if that was your base 40 hr pay and you raked in over 200k in OT then we would be talking (like mechanical designers make on big projects with all there 1.5 OT 60-80 hrs a week), otherwise I would just take the 40 hr office job and take the 20k pay cut. I generally dislike any sort of field work and have never worked in the field, I was hoping utilities work had office based engineering work as well.

Utilities do have office based engineering. What most people are describing is power generation work. I work on the distribution side which is regulated in the state I work in. However, I do have to go out into the field but not as much as others are describing. I work in substation engineering doing structural and geotech work. The amount of time I spend in the field depends on on a lot of things. If I did a good job designing/engineering then I won't have that many field visits and also smaller substations are usually built with less hickups. For example I tend to do few field visits for our standard distribution 34-13kv substations but alot more for anything 115kV and above. We do not have 69kV in case anyone is wondering. So I would say on average I go out in the field 1-2 times a week or 10% of my time. The pay is good and so is the atmosphere and the work life balance (in most instances). The only thing that I dislike is the storm duty. I am on call 2 weeks out of a 9 week rotation period. If a storm hits the system and cause a lot of outages then the storm crew is mobilized. My storm assignment is a patroller. To sum it up I look for downed wires and assess storm damage. It is not engineering work and I get paid a flat rate for anything above 40 hrs which is less then what I make an hour. That is the only instance in which I can make OT since I am a salaried employee. When a storm hits its all hands on deck. Yes I do hate working storm but its a necessary evil.

Everyone has to pay their dues. Also going out into the field is part of engineering. You have to be able to build a raport with the crews where they respect you and trust you. Their lives are in your hands. If you do not have that respect you will not go far. Utilities are all about teamwork and having the Utility mindset. Its tough to even get an interview. I know first hand that after interviews hiring managers and HR ask themselves "Will this person fit in?" You do get paid well but the people who they look for are not motivated solely by money.
Yea I understand there are freak things that happen and I have to travel for me work like once a year but I got an engineering degree because I dont like slinging cable or pipe or whatever in the field. If I could get a PhD I would like to do things like work for Hysys writing code which also uses chemical engineering pricipals and the PE I worked under used to work for Flouren park NJ for Arco reaserach and Bell labs so thats more the direction im heading.

Working that much OT for only 100k is not really that much money (maybe it was better money in the very early 90's), now if that was your base 40 hr pay and you raked in over 200k in OT then we would be talking (like mechanical designers make on big projects with all there 1.5 OT 60-80 hrs a week), otherwise I would just take the 40 hr office job and take the 20k pay cut. I generally dislike any sort of field work and have never worked in the field, I was hoping utilities work had office based engineering work as well.
Okay, all your ridiculous posts have been very amusing, but I'm calling bullshit. Time to log out your alter ego and go back to your normal life whoever you are. Nobody could possibly be this moronic.

:rotflmao:

In the civil/environmental field that I work in, if you don't get field experience the contractors will beat you to death via change order because you don't know what they are talking about...and believe me, contractors know if you have field experience or not.

I learned a long time ago from a mechanical engineer in college that you should always check with the guy who has to make the part to see if it is doable or not
The best civil consulting firm I ever worked for - they forced all their graduate engineers to work as inspectors during their first summer. They'd start work the Monday after spring graduation and inspect until the end of construction season. So they'd have about six solid months of inspecting at 40-80 hours per week, before they designed anything.

If an engineer has no field experience he usually ends up as 'that guy'. No one wants to be 'that guy'.

As long as it pays fatty cash, rppearso doesn't mind being that guy.

In fact, he's working for free right now, and he's still that guy.

My company does nothin for it's PEs, not even a promotion. Doesn't anyone else see this? I am working ifor an Investor Owned Utility and very frustrated with my company's HR practices. CPAs here get adored, PEs get pooped on.

My company does nothin for it's PEs, not even a promotion. Doesn't anyone else see this? I am working ifor an Investor Owned Utility and very frustrated with my company's HR practices. CPAs here get adored, PEs get pooped on.
Sorry. I meant DOES anyone else see this sort of thing? I don't know if thats a utility company thing, or just my company thing.

And promtions based on nothing but years. PE, working hard, big projects, none of that matters.

My observations when working for the utility was pretty much the same. I spent the time learning things that could be used in the consulting world. It worked out pretty well for me.

My observations when working for the utility was pretty much the same. I spent the time learning things that could be used in the consulting world. It worked out pretty well for me.
FLyer, what do you do now? How long were you in utilities? Was it right after college?

Flyer,

I'm on the opposite side of the fence right now. I am in consulting and would like to be a Power Plant Engineer. I love being on site at a power plant (coal fired is really all I know) and walking down the systems and doing the upgrades.

The thing with consulting that is driving me crazy right now is the lack of work-life balance. Right now I am being asked to travel 50%+ which normally wouldn't be too bad but means I have to go 12hrs+ away from my wife and kid and only get to come home once a month for a weekend. The work is good and I have been in the field quite a bit, it seems like the Plant Engineers are happy with their jobs (even though they are usually "on call") and have good job security as people will always need power.

FLyer, what do you do now? How long were you in utilities? Was it right after college?
My first job out of college was System Engineer at a nuclear power plant. The department was where they put new engineers to start learning how the plant works. I was in that department for the first five years and spent the next 3 years as a maintenance supervisor.

Flyer,
I'm on the opposite side of the fence right now. I am in consulting and would like to be a Power Plant Engineer. I love being on site at a power plant (coal fired is really all I know) and walking down the systems and doing the upgrades.

The thing with consulting that is driving me crazy right now is the lack of work-life balance. Right now I am being asked to travel 50%+ which normally wouldn't be too bad but means I have to go 12hrs+ away from my wife and kid and only get to come home once a month for a weekend. The work is good and I have been in the field quite a bit, it seems like the Plant Engineers are happy with their jobs (even though they are usually "on call") and have good job security as people will always need power.
I think there are good jobs on both sides of the fence. It all depends on what works best for you. Right now, I'm working mostly from home. Typically, the only time I'm on-site is for the occasional meeting or to support specific activities. Most of our clients are within a 400 mile radius which puts them at about 3 hours away by air.

Do alot of Power Plant EEs end up doing more Mechanical type work?
I think so. When you think about it, a power plant is primarily a mechanical device. I was initially surprised at the lack of electrical knowledge of most plant operators. They may not understand a whole lot about electricity, but they know a whole lot about moving water and steam around.

Well I finally got notice of my annual raise today. It was 4%, which is a little more than last year and about the same as the year before. But I didn't hear anything about a bonus, which I have received each of the past two years I've been with my firm. I didn't get told there wasn't a bonus, but I usually hear about it when I get my raise.

So I'm kinda bummed right about now. I feel like I've been going above and beyond, but it didn't seem to help much. But as everyone else said, its hard to complain when I still have a job to pay the bills.

Well I finally got notice of my annual raise today. It was 4%, which is a little more than last year and about the same as the year before. But I didn't hear anything about a bonus, which I have received each of the past two years I've been with my firm. I didn't get told there wasn't a bonus, but I usually hear about it when I get my raise.
So I'm kinda bummed right about now. I feel like I've been going above and beyond, but it didn't seem to help much. But as everyone else said, its hard to complain when I still have a job to pay the bills.

I got 2%.... the Union got their contracted 4%...

Back