Recession Raise/Bonus

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont know why but sometimes that seems like thats what you have to do, I dont agree with it but for some reason when you start at an engineering firm you tend to always be seen as the green kid just out of college even 10 years after you have gotten out of school.

But of course folks are not really job humping these days

I dont know why but sometimes that seems like thats what you have to do, I dont agree with it but for some reason when you start at an engineering firm you tend to always be seen as the green kid just out of college even 10 years after you have gotten out of school.
But of course folks are not really job humping these days
what is job humping? I cant believe the defeated attitude some people have on here, its like they have already resigned or something, even in a bad market there are opprotunities to make real money.

sorry should be "job hopping"

many folks in the 90's and 00's changed jobs every 2 years or so to get some extra $$$ or at least they did in the Transportation Market in Atlanta

I am actually looking right now. I just got off the phone with an equipment sales rep (for water/wastewater infrastructure equipment) who I have worked with previously. I think he's willing to give me a bump on my salary to come work for him, and with significant bonuses I could be looking at a huge raise, upward of 30 to 40%.

I saw a couple of job postings over the weekend on local agency websites who are offering better pay. I just really prefer the consulting side. I also really enjoy working with the people here. The lack of money (not a ton, maybe 3-5%) is well worth the better work environment.

I saw a couple of job postings over the weekend on local agency websites who are offering better pay. I just really prefer the consulting side. I also really enjoy working with the people here. The lack of money (not a ton, maybe 3-5%) is well worth the better work environment.
I agree 5% is not even in the same galaxy of being enough to move on but I am hoping in the next few months I could see a shift in pay of 130% which is enough for me to hop. 40-50% is also non-trivial and would warrant a jump. Of course you have to look at who you would be working for and what your job function would be, for me the agency shift would keep me sitting in the exact same place with the client just with a different contractor so you cant pass that up, dump your contractor that is skimming to much to one that can better manage there overhead. Going from client to vendor or off site contractor is like a down step so the rate hike would have to be enormus, there is too much hoop ha working projects that are not well ran, so even if the money is good its still a pain in the a** so the money basicly has to be awesome, otherwise find someone else to work 60 hrs a week for free while getting bitched at about change orders.

I agree 5% is not even in the same galaxy of being enough to move on but I am hoping in the next few months I could see a shift in pay of 130% which is enough for me to hop. 40-50% is also non-trivial and would warrant a jump. Of course you have to look at who you would be working for and what your job function would be, for me the agency shift would keep me sitting in the exact same place with the client just with a different contractor so you cant pass that up, dump your contractor that is skimming to much to one that can better manage there overhead. Going from client to vendor or off site contractor is like a down step so the rate hike would have to be enormus, there is too much hoop ha working projects that are not well ran, so even if the money is good its still a pain in the a** so the money basicly has to be awesome, otherwise find someone else to work 60 hrs a week for free while getting bitched at about change orders.
Troll :deadhorse:

(per Wil's request)

^^ Makes perfect sense. :dunno: And almost Shakespearean in its elloquence.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^ Makes perfect sense. :dunno: And almost Shakespearean in its elloquence.
I know. It was relatively cogent, and spelled correctly. He even had me going that he was a somewhat intelligent human being...until he had to throw in his Troll line ("work 60 hrs a week for free") right there at the end.

I am hesitant to post anything here becuase I don't want the Troll to post again but I just found out [sarcasm]I got a whopper of a raise of 2% and a whopper of a bonus of slightly less than 2%.[/sarcasm] Looks like it's time to update the resume. I already have a couple of good prospects so maybe this is just the push for me to go out and do something different.

I am hesitant to post anything here becuase I don't want the Troll to post again but I just found out [sarcasm]I got a whopper of a raise of 2% and a whopper of a bonus of slightly less than 2%.[/sarcasm] Looks like it's time to update the resume. I already have a couple of good prospects so maybe this is just the push for me to go out and do something different.
I don't care what sort of miracles certain unmentioned dillholes think are the norm, but those aren't really bad raises in a down economy - other places are still furloughing, cutting pay, laying off people and eliminating bonuses. But if you can get more somewhere else you should go for it, I think that's usually where the big pay jumps happen.

I think alot can be said for job security and work life balance. When you bring those two aspects into the picture you can't beat utilities.

I think alot can be said for job security and work life balance. When you bring those two aspects into the picture you can't beat utilities.
I'm a utility regulator, so I work with a lot of power (and some gas) utility people. In general I agree they have really good jobs, with good pay, work environment, stability, and benefits. Especially if you work out of the central offices or in transmission or distribution design. In my experience it can be a little less ideal if you are a power plant engineer, or in charge of system maintenance. those hours can be strange, especially if your system has a lot of problems. But they also get reasonable pay.

I'm a utility regulator, so I work with a lot of power (and some gas) utility people. In general I agree they have really good jobs, with good pay, work environment, stability, and benefits. Especially if you work out of the central offices or in transmission or distribution design. In my experience it can be a little less ideal if you are a power plant engineer, or in charge of system maintenance. those hours can be strange, especially if your system has a lot of problems. But they also get reasonable pay.
Agreed. It all depends on which part of the utility you work for. I was a plant guy, the 70 and 80 hour weeks got pretty old. I'm much happier on the consulting side of the fence.

Not much sypathy from me.

<---No raise since Jan '08.

I'm not a plant guy. I'm one of the main office guys doing substation design. My work hours are the normal 40 hours a week with maybe 2-3 hrs of unpaid ot every now and then. The only downside is storm duty where I am on call, but that is only 2 weeks out of a 9 week rotation period.

Back