Recession Raise/Bonus

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mce01

Reaction score
This was some bad year for my company, at least for non-partners. I just want to get an idea of what sort of compensation is happening around me while I'm settling for what I have.

Here are my numbers:

Civil Engineering

Years of experience: 4.5 + MS

2009 Raise: 0%

2009 Bonus (% of base pay): 0%

2009 Raise: 6% in January as promised from 2008, current wage freeze.

2009 Bonus: +- 8%, only received 4%

I'm in the utility industry which has been rather insulated from what everyone else is feeling.

2009 Raise: 4% in March due to 2008 performance

2009 Bonus: 12% of my salary due to 2008 performance

2009 Promotion: 10% raise from promotion to Senior Eng due to PE license

We'll get something, but won't find out until March. I no overall profits are down from 2008, but margins have gone back up and headcount is down. They froze salary for Manager's last year so they are first on the list. I think they will try to allocate more to the bonus and raise pools this year to keep people happy.

I get a second bonus on April 1 when my tuition reimbursement period expires, then I start looking for a new job.

So far, we have gotten a quarterly bonus every quarter this year. We were profitable in October and November, so if we can eek out a profit in Dec, we'll be getting another bonus. No raises this year though.

Federal Gov't so we don't get bonuses but we do get COLA every year so we should be finding out what that will be shortly. Before I started here we used to get a mid-year and Christmas bonus that slowly got lower and lower every year. My last Christmas there we got a $50 gas card and a Hamilton County park pass ($3). I still talk to some of the guys there and I'm guessing they haven't gotten anything letely...they're struggling to come up with 40 hours a week.

I will know in March but it is not promising. The CEO already sent a video with a message about "making sacrifices" and warning that this year will not to be the same as last year.

Last year I got about 3% increase and a 3.25% bonus(something like that). We were warned not to expect to be even close so no expectations.

Funny thing is that my former boss told me that my salary increase and bonus were the highest amounts given in my unit. It was true but he forgot to mention that I was, by far, the one making less money.(I am the only PE though)...and still am the one making less money and the only PE.

I do not really care but I was dissapointed about him giving me the wrong facts trying to make me feel good. That was low.

Mechanical BS and PE6+ years experience

2009 Bonus 0.002

2009 Raise 0.0
You actually got a 0.2% bonus?
First it was more nearly a "Christmas Bonus" in the form of a gift card to a local Restaurant Chain.

Secondly it was really .18% but I rounded up. :)
I would have been ok with a Burger King gift card this year.........

This is the saddest topic on the whole forum....if we were bankers at Goldman, we would have been talking about anything from 100 to 10,000 % bonus....this is just wrong!!!!

Back