Recession Raise/Bonus

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had my first raise since late 2008 (when I got my PE) and got my first actual "bonus" check (1 week of extra pay). It's a ~2% COLA and the office manager said that although we're getting raises now, it doesn't mean we will or will not get anything else this year. They are pushing for an additional 2-3% since our office's hard backlog is at it's highest since 2006 (gotta love on-call contracts).
Got the first paycheck since the raises were announced. It ended up being 3% instead of 2. :multiplespotting:

Just had my 2009 review and pay adjustment meeting with my boss. I busted my ass in 2008 to get no bonus and no salary increase in 2009. I busted my ass again in 2009 and got me an 8% bonus and 4% salary increase. I'm up for a promotion, but I think my boss is dragging his heels a little bit. Yay me!

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats Slacker, but you're not really living up to your name!! ;)

We got raises this year after not getting them last year, but mine was only 2.5% and did not include a promotion for getting my PE. I'm a little bummed about not getting the promotion, but on the other hand, I wasn't expecting a raise, so it's all good!

I think we're supposed to find out about raises/bonuses today......
<==== anxiously waiting
Good luck, Chuck. You could use some good news.

<===Still waiting for things to turn around at work, and get his salary re-instated.

There is money to be made even in this economy if you switch companies after getting your PE and some extra experience. What happens is your existing company takes you for granted and they fail to realize that the engineering pay scale is an exponential curve at teh front end (and eventually levels off later).

they fail to realize that the engineering pay scale is an exponential curve at teh front end (and eventually levels off later).
You fail to realize that this is not true. There is no exponential salary curve in engineering. You will always get your biggest bump in pay when you change jobs, but it isn't because your company is taking you for granted.

they fail to realize that the engineering pay scale is an exponential curve at teh front end (and eventually levels off later).
You fail to realize that this is not true. There is no exponential salary curve in engineering. You will always get your biggest bump in pay when you change jobs, but it isn't because your company is taking you for granted.
Then why is that the case, why do you have to leave the company where you built your experience to get a meaningful raise you would think that they would want to retain you after having all that history at there company.

Then why is that the case, why do you have to leave the company where you built your experience to get a meaningful raise you would think that they would want to retain you after having all that history at there company.
1) You're assuming a new set of responsibilities

2) That pay raise is associated with the fact that an open position at the other company is associated with a higher/pressing demand.

3) Several larger corporations are structured to where the raises are based on performance-tied percentages not to exceed a certain amount, where the only way to make a large jump within corporate policy guidelines is to be promoted.

I just got this in the mail from monster. I'm not really interested in changing jobs (my job pays more than this and is problably easier), I just have my res up there for fun. Anyway, this is for a person with just a Bachelor's and 4 years experience. I'm sure a lot of people could do this job. And you don't need a PE or multiple degrees. It isn't really fatty money here in LA, but it's decent at the top end, and you could certainly talk them into six figures. But like I said, it's LA.

The Job Details:

Plant Maintenance and Reliability Engineer

Salary Range: $70,000 - $120,000

Maintenance and Reliability Engineer

Would you like to work for one of the leading companies in the Consumer Packaged Goods industry?

Do you have 4+ years of experience increasing the reliability of plant equipment including: process, packaging, material handling and utility systems?

Do you have experience acting as a technical consultant to ensure maintainability and reliability has been optimized to achieve the lowest life cycle cost and highest equipment availability possible?

If you are a Maintenance and Reliability Engineer with experience, please read on!

What you need for this position:

- 4+ years of experience increasing the reliability of plant equipment including: process, packaging, material handling and utility system.

- Bachelors degree from an Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) accredited program.

- Success and recognized technical capabilities, equipment and component knowledge, and practical experience in the following areas:

* Failure Analysis and Prevention

* Reliability Measures

* Materials (metals, plastics, elastomers, composites, coatings)

* Fabrication methods (welding, machining, surface treatment)

* Dimensional tolerances (reading prongs, measuring and specifying)

* Fastening and joining (methods and materials)

* Pneumatics, hydraulics and mechanical power transmission

* CMMS (Maximo and others)

* Tribology

* Certified in at least two PdM technologies (ie. vibration, ultrasound, infrared, oil analysis)

* Data Collection systems (CIM21, MQIS, Foxboro historian, DT Analyst)

* Sanitary equipment design and installation

What you'll be doing:

Ultimately you will:

- Improve system performance by increasing the reliability of all plant equipment including process, packaging, material handling, and utility systems.

- Provide technical support for the evolution from reactive to proactive maintenance, which will lead to productivity improvement and a reduced maintenance cost/case.

- Identify, implement, and communicate productivity improvements corporate wide. - Act as a technical consultant for new capital expenditures to ensure maintainability and reliability has been optimized to achieve the lowest life cycle cost (LCC) and highest equipment availability possible.

What's in it for you:

- competitive base + bonus + benefits!

I was being polite and I think its cool for people to post job opps like that, realisticly I woudl not go through the hassle of moving liek that for less than 160-180k (also I would have to do a cost of living analysis and alot of places in LA are like a 3rd world nation so my pay would have to be high enough to match my neighborhood where I am now plus tons of disposable income (enough to have a hangar at a local air port and a 200-300k plane after whatever random taxes they have there), if I lost my job here I would look into places like baku or else where overseas in O&G where the pay checks are real money and I would be insulated from most taxes. Thats just my personal preferance and I know the money is there because contracting agencys like swift and fircroft have high salery positions open overseas. We will see what happens

moving liek that for less than 160-180k
That's 120K base, plus there is a bonus.

But this is not a high paying job here in LA anyway. It just happened to hit my inbox this morning. THere are lots of jobs that pay 160K-180K. With your advanced 8th grade communication and mathematics skills, you should have no problem.

But I think you just want to complain.

Back