Random Topics 3.1

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 3D printed Ghost in the Shell geisha mask showed up from Russia today. Mrs. Supe is going to have to work on her neck exercises, because that sucker is HEAVY!

I really don't understand soccer, or the ref needs to be banned from night games because his vision is obviously impaired with no field lights.

So last night minisnick has his first goal of the season at his soccer game last night. Only to have it called back as offsides. I honestly don't know how the ref came to that conclusion. It wasn't a two on one break away situation. The boys had been near the outer box for several minutes so the entire defense (we play 11, so 6 playing defense at the moment) was somewhere in front of the net. They were ganging up on a teammate in the center, like 3 on 1. He found a opening amongst the feet and passed to minisnick who got open and basically booted it past the goalie in the far corner of the net.
Both teams wore blue so maybe in the dusk evening light he mistook which blue stood where??

Our boys also got called on lifting the back leg during a throw in, when the toe barely left the ground...being less then 5 ft away I saw it much more clearly than the ref across the field, but yet when the other team player was literally flinging his back leg up in the air literally right in front of us multiple times and no calls by the ref.

Our shorter boys were getting intentionally elbowed to the face the entire game...again no calls. The one that passed Minisnick ball will likely have a black eye this morning. We saw it happen right in front of us, it was deliberate, and he sent him to the ground for several moments but the ref didn't stop play or call the penalty. They got sick of it and had to resort to becoming soccer diva drama kings anytime they got a serious elbow to face or intentional tripped to get the penalties called.

That sounds like poor reffing to me, for sure. So not so much that you don’t understand soccer at all!

I really don't understand soccer, or the ref needs to be banned from night games because his vision is obviously impaired with no field lights.

So last night minisnick has his first goal of the season at his soccer game last night. Only to have it called back as offsides. I honestly don't know how the ref came to that conclusion. It wasn't a two on one break away situation. The boys had been near the outer box for several minutes so the entire defense (we play 11, so 6 playing defense at the moment) was somewhere in front of the net. They were ganging up on a teammate in the center, like 3 on 1. He found a opening amongst the feet and passed to minisnick who got open and basically booted it past the goalie in the far corner of the net.
Both teams wore blue so maybe in the dusk evening light he mistook which blue stood where??

Our boys also got called on lifting the back leg during a throw in, when the toe barely left the ground...being less then 5 ft away I saw it much more clearly than the ref across the field, but yet when the other team player was literally flinging his back leg up in the air literally right in front of us multiple times and no calls by the ref.

Our shorter boys were getting intentionally elbowed to the face the entire game...again no calls. The one that passed Minisnick ball will likely have a black eye this morning. We saw it happen right in front of us, it was deliberate, and he sent him to the ground for several moments but the ref didn't stop play or call the penalty. They got sick of it and had to resort to becoming soccer diva drama kings anytime they got a serious elbow to face or intentional tripped to get the penalties called.
Refs must be related to the ones doing my nephews high school football games. Obvious holds, pass interference, false starts, offsides not called.

And the unpsortsmanlike conduct penalty. For celebrating their first touchdown of season.

Last edited:
I heard a bunch of ruckus from some birds and squirrels outside while I was working this morning. I walked outside to see what the issue was, thinking maybe a hawk was flying around terrorizing the outdoor inhabitants. When I inspected the large live oak just off the back porch, I spotted birds flying in and out of the tree, as well as squirrels bouncing around a particular branch. After a few seconds, I finally spotted this guy sitting on top of a branch about 20ft off the ground. I got a paint roller extension to pull him down. I still haven't figured out how he made it so far up the tree, no branches are close to the ground and the trunk of the tree is roughly 4ft in diameter. His musk permeated my gloves and I have yet to get the stink off my hands.

PXL_20211006_153549225.jpg

okay so I have that stupid new McDonald's rewards app on my phone. I have enough to get a free Happy meal. We went after a sunday afternoon soccer game to get dinner and when I went to go use the free happy meal reward it said "Not available during diner" When the hell am I allowed to use it then? There aren't breakfast happy meals. When does diner even start? They only a have an official menu switch to stop the full breakfast menu.

"Not available during diner"
I could maybe understand if the happy meal costed more during dinner. But isn't the "lunch" happy meal the same price as the "dinner" meal? I guess they're trying to get more lunch/afternoon business?

Tired of sweating everyday... tired of balancing between a Fall wardrobe and a Summer wardrobe. Now, it's finally a true Fall day and I hate it. I hate being cold. I just remembered that.

I love the Fall. Hate the adjustment. Then again, I'm just grumpy.

okay so I have that stupid new McDonald's rewards app on my phone. I have enough to get a free Happy meal. We went after a sunday afternoon soccer game to get dinner and when I went to go use the free happy meal reward it said "Not available during diner" When the hell am I allowed to use it then? There aren't breakfast happy meals. When does diner even start? They only a have an official menu switch to stop the full breakfast menu.
The local FB page posted a picture of a woman's big Mac yesterday - three buns, sauce, lettuce... they left out the burger.

I think our kids are even over McDonald's at this point. The other day they were wondering how it got so popular in the first place. I told them it was because the food wasn't that good, but it was cheap and it was fast...back in the day when they just chucked out food non-stop on the chutes under the heat lamps and they just had to grab what they needed and throw it in a bag. Nowadays, it takes forever because they "make stuff to order" but the food is still crap.

Honestly, once Burger King made the Big Mac sauce available on their stuff, there was nothing left at McDonald's worth getting. Of course, we still tend to eat at McDonald's on road trips because you almost never see a Burger King off a highway exit, but you'll see McD's outnumber all others by about 4:1.

My kid would rather starve than eat McD's. Not an exaggeration. We were on a little day trip and we figured we would stop and get some food from McD's. I don't eat there, but I brought some peanuts and some water, so I was fine. We ordered a Happy Meal, and thought she might eat it if she got hungry enough. Nope. She didn't touch it. We just tossed it. She loves Chick-fil-a though.

My kids prefer wendy's but the happy meal toys at mcdonalds are better. Minisnick always orders the southwest salad from wendys

My kids prefer wendy's but the happy meal toys at mcdonalds are better. Minisnick always orders the southwest salad from wendys
This is the biggest difference between 3 years old and 4 years old. Before, we could either tell him there was no McDonalds around or they were closed. Now he knows better because he can read signs. And yes, their happy meals/toys are better. Before, Wendys was the "go-to" when stopping for a quick bite on long trips. Those days are over. Now it's McD's so I'm trying to figure out what the safest menu item is for me to continue on a "long" trip.

McDonald's got so popular on the strength of their fries. Pretty much every other fast food chain has better burgers. But some hot, salty, fresh McDonald's fries.... It's hard to compete with that.

McDonald's got so popular on the strength of their fries. Pretty much every other fast food chain has better burgers. But some hot, salty, fresh McDonald's fries.... It's hard to compete with that.
Now they get cold so quickly, and taste super weird, they're not even worth it.

I actually can't eat most fast food anymore. Just. Tastes weird and gross.

Back