Quarantine Projects / New Skills Acquired

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I gave myself a haircut for the first time last week. Came out pretty good, but I couldn't line the back

stained the party deck

purged a bunch of ****

tossed all the soil and planted hydrangeas in the front

weeded the whole yard (because i'm not a yard person this was a project. lol)

built a catio 

refinanced the house

stained raised bed planters

built a desk for wfh then stopped wfh 

got a bunch of furniture rearranged and purged to the garage for selling

stained the party deck

purged a bunch of ****

built a catio 

refinanced the house

@tj_PE wins

stained the party deck

purged a bunch of ****

built a catio 

refinanced the house

I had a beer last night.

add:

spray painted some rusty chairs

spray painted an old planter pot out front 

(only about an hour worth of work but i got paint everywhereeeeeeeeeee)

Learning to play D&D with my 13 y/o daughter. I've never played before, thank God for youtube.

I’m learning the ukulele.  Zen activity on the deck with beer. 

I made my very first jam last week. It is a nectarine lime jam; I think I let it cook for a bit too long but my jars sealed properly so that made me happy!

I gave my son a haircut yesterday. It came out surprisingly well.

I also shampooed my carpets yesterday. That's not a new skill, just WAY overdue.

Since we're still in quarantine, a few months ago I started working on a design for a digitally controlled analog overdrive guitar pedal. I think it's coming along nicely. I have also designed a custom enclosure and have received quotes for manufacturing.

On the back it has input, output, and 9VDC jacks. On the side it has a jack for Midi control.

IMG_20200807_094249.jpg

On the front is has 4 control encoders. The encoders control gain, tone, volume, and preset functions. There are also 8 16-segment displays for displaying information (in the final package there will be a "smoked" lens covering the displays).

IMG_20200807_094254.jpg

The boards are stacked on each other and are connected by a flex cable. The top board has the digital components and the bottom has the analog components.

IMG_20200807_094307.jpg

There will also be two footswitches. The right will be On/Off, the left will be Preset Up, and both together will be Preset Down.

IMG_20200807_144125.jpg

The gain knob functions are gain, clipping diode options (silicon, germanium, red LED), and hard/soft clipping. The tone controls the LP filter and 4 different voicing options. The Volume knob controls volume and Midi channel. The preset knob switches between 127 programmable presets and acts as the Save button for presets.

A skill i have learned is to have a "fake meeting" on my calendar every friday @ 4:00 - doesnt always work but the bad thing about "teams" meetings is that the density of meetings is insane  - 

123029723_10224503483993014_1346949725268229925_o.jpg

Something that annoyed us to no end when I was at the VA was stupid peoples’ inability to use the scheduler in Outlook. Even when we tried to tell them that we kept our calendars up to date, it never failed, some idiot would send us a meeting invite for the exact time when we already had something on our calendar. Hey dumbass, there’s a scheduling assistant right there that will show you when I have free time.

Back