Quarantine Projects / New Skills Acquired

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife found it on Amazon. It's raised vinyl. The raised pattern and glossiness does make it look like real tile unless you're closer than about 2 or 3 feet.

EDIT: link... https://www.amazon.com/Arabesque-Backsplash-Corrosion-Kitchen-x11-26/dp/B07GQNRMGS/
Warning. The glue isn't great. It works ok if the surface is super clean and smooth. We cleaned but I also ended up using this... That **** sticks like glue.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/HOMEeasy-1-875-in-x-75-ft-Tan-Double-Sided-Seam-Tape/999920702

I've been working on this kitchen backsplash. My wife is super excited about it.

(Sshhh, don't tell anyone it's stick on.)

*pic snip*
I mean, if she likes it, and you like it, what does it matter what people think?  You're the one who are going to be looking at it every day in the kitchen!  As for tile backsplashes...I like them, but it's such a pain when something is evvvvvvevr so slightly out of alignment.  Whereas this vinyl stuff looks super exact, which I like!  And the design is super cool too!

I mean, if she likes it, and you like it, what does it matter what people think?  You're the one who are going to be looking at it every day in the kitchen!  As for tile backsplashes...I like them, but it's such a pain when something is evvvvvvevr so slightly out of alignment.  Whereas this vinyl stuff looks super exact, which I like!  And the design is super cool too!
Oh, I"m not stressing about it. I do want to apply a border of white caulk to hide any imperfect edges, but we're both happy with it. I was just trying to be funny. Also in terms of "project/skills"  applying vinyl is a different type of project than putting up real tile

I've rescreened half the windows on the house.  Get a Mouse spline roller if you're doing this work.  So simple.

I feng shui'd the garage over the weekend. Made room for the blacksmithing equipment and put stuff away that should've been put away a long time ago. Also organized the camping gear to free up a tote. Everything is in its place and there is a place for everything. Except the lazy boy recliner. His place is at the dump.

My 20 year old got bored and made us this - so we can put our workout on the board and know what to do... of course he used my scrap 2x4’s and I don’t know what I’ll do with this when the false governments lets us back to the gym....

de40400d095208011d266799b4d21b11.jpg

My 20 year old got bored and made us this - so we can put our workout on the board and know what to do... of course he used my scrap 2x4’s and I don’t know what I’ll do with this when the false governments lets us back to the gym....

Burn it?

*pic snip*
Use it for motivational quotes like, "Live, Laugh, Lysol" or "Cover your mouth, you filthy animal"?

we are both still working so we can't do anything seriously large, but we got two new shelving units for the garage so we can rearrange and get the kids toys up off the floor and maybe squeeze both cars in the garage this winter.  also ordered another cabinet for the basement to store the board game overflow.  

He said he has been wanting to make the stand for when he goes back to college (crosses fingers for August!)

I am on Covid Cut #3 from the Mrs and she has done well with picking up the hair cutting skills -  I was a great clips person and I am happy to not go back to them to be honest - 15 minutes on the back deck has been better than having to deal with the long lines at great clips and the aroma of chain smoking hairdressers...

I usually cut my own hair with the clippers, the Mrs helps out as well. Last trip to a barber shop was in 2007, mainly because my clippers broke the night before a business dinner and couldn't get a replacement set.

As for quarantine projects, am redoing the wood storage area. I went from several uncovered 3/4 cord racks to a single covered structure. Just finishing splitting the newer wood and getting it stacked in the back before unloading the trailer & truck bed that holds the older wood (about 3 cords worth already split).

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to cut my menfolk's hair and then we stopped and now we're on cut number 2 and it's going actually pretty well. The kid doesn't look as great, but it's because we couldn't remember if we had to run a 1" guard over the top or not, so I just cut it. 

Mrs. Supe has been cutting my hair for a decade now, but hates doing it.  I finally had to threaten giving myself the Bobby Hill cut with the clippers to coax her in doing it earlier this week.

I can now give my husband a haircut.

We also took apart our old garden retaining wall around the front of the house and built a bigger gardening bed and a higher wall. The garden is gorgeous! We have lilies, hostas, nepata (cat mint), coreopsis, delphiniums, evening primrose, oriental poppy, lavender, hydrangeas, and peonies. 

We also placed an in-ground sprinkler system around the front and side of the property. That was hard. I'm actually walking a little slower today due to that back breaking work. We used a trencher, but it still took some work to get the line buried and the soil compacted. I did it by hand. 

Back