Post your puzzles/brain-teasers here

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you may have to rotate some of the various top views proffered to see if they work.
I missed this before...now I agree that E can be a correct solution.  I say that G cannot work because the center block of the top view would need to be clear to be correct.

image.png

image.png

I missed this before...now I agree that E can be a correct solution.  I say that G cannot work because the center block of the top view would need to be clear to be correct.

View attachment 12683
Winner winner chicken dinner!  How to know that the center block must be clear?   Front view would require that the black block be in row 1 and/or 3 and not in 2, 4, or 5. Side view requires that it be in row 2 and/or 4 and not in row 1, 3, or 5. These things are incompatible. (note: no rotation of the top view required to ascertain this)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just seeing this now. I was scrolling down thinking I hope no other asshole guesses G so I can be King Asshole.

Damnit.

G all day long people.

(Ok there you go, I’m the asshole)

You are in a room that has three switches and a closed door. The switches control three light bulbs on the other side of the door. Once you open the door, you may never touch the switches again. How can you definitively tell which switch is connected to each of the light bulbs?

what about changing the wiring, or does the room has window?  :eyebrows:

Do we have all the information we need to answer the question?

You are in a room that has three switches and a closed door. The switches control three light bulbs on the other side of the door. Once you open the door, you may never touch the switches again. How can you definitively tell which switch is connected to each of the light bulbs?
The answer in my opinion. 

Turn off all he switches (if not already). Wait for a while to let all the bulbs cool down. Turn on one switch (lets say A). Wait 10 minutes. Switch A off. Turn on another on (say B). Open the door. The lit up bulb is controlled by B. The warm one is controlled by A and the remaining one is controlled by remaining switch (or C)

Dang it. I think that's right. Now I know I've heard this one before. But I dumb and forgot.

The answer in my opinion. 

Turn off all he switches (if not already). Wait for a while to let all the bulbs cool down. Turn on one switch (lets say A). Wait 10 minutes. Switch A off. Turn on another on (say B). Open the door. The lit up bulb is controlled by B. The warm one is controlled by A and the remaining one is controlled by remaining switch (or C)
Basically correct.

This is an oldie, so I'm sure most people know it:

You are in a room with two guards, each guarding a door. One of the doors leads to Heaven and the other to Hell, but you don't know which one leads where. You have to choose and open one of these doors, but you can only ask a single question to one of the guards. One of the guards always tells the truth and the other always lies, but you don't know which one is lying or telling the truth.

What do you ask to find out which door leads to Heaven?

This is an oldie, so I'm sure most people know it:

You are in a room with two guards, each guarding a door. One of the doors leads to Heaven and the other to Hell, but you don't know which one leads where. You have to choose and open one of these doors, but you can only ask a single question to one of the guards. One of the guards always tells the truth and the other always lies, but you don't know which one is lying or telling the truth.

What do you ask to find out which door leads to Heaven?
You ask one what the other one would say to do and then do the opposite.

Maybe something like. "If I asked the other guard which door will lead to heaven, what would he say?"
This would work, because with this question asking either guard would point you to the hell door.

Back