Post April 2011 Diagnostic Report scores here (xx/80) if you failed

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For anyone feeling down about their results, please take note and feel a lot better:

31/80

I went in cold, and on little sleep. I didn't study at all, and wasn't familiar with the reference manual, so just used the day to study while taking the exam knowing I was going to fail. My worst subject - structural - I got 8/8. :) My best subject hydraulics........I am too embarrassed to say.

Anyone out there do worse than me? Anyone out there who nearly passed without opening any books beforehand?

Morning: 19/40

Afternoon: 12/40

That's really really bad............I will study the next time, and hope to at least pass the 8 hour.

51/80Civil AM

Transportation PM

Bummer lady_j. Sounds just like me in Oct '10. I got 51/80. I haven't seen a Transpo failing 52/80 yet for Oct or Apr so I bet we both missed by 1 point probably. So, that means you are close! Don't stop studying hard. I almost took the approach of thinking I didn't need to study much for Apr '11 because I came so close in Oct '10 but I tossed out that way of thinking and told myself I would treat the Apr exam as if it was going to be a very hard exam. I am glad I did. It paid off. I passed this time. Keep going!

CA - EE - Power - 1st time
1 General Power Engineering: Measurement & Instrumentation 1/6

2 General Power Engineering: Special Applications 6/8

3 General Power Engineering: Codes & Standards 5/10

4 Circuit Analysis: Analysis 8/9

5 Circuit Analysis: Devices & Power Electronic Circuits 4/7

6 Rotating Machines & Electromagnetic Devices: Rotating Machines 8/10

7 Rotating Machines & Electromagnetic Devices: Electromagnetic Devices 2/6

8 Transmissions & Distribution: System Analysis 5/9

9 Transmissions & Distribution: Power System Performance 4/7

10 Transmissions & Distribution: Protection 5/8

total = 48/80, am I even close to passing?

I completely missed on instrumentation, NEC code, & electromagnetic devices

what topics are Measurement & Instrumentation anyway?
Springaround, sorry to hear about it, you'll nail it next time. What references did you take with you? I highly recommend this book: Power Systems Analysis & Design. It helped me pass it on the first try. Measurement and Instrumentation is pretty wide topics.. like anything that involved testing resistance, or current transformers, ect. Are you in Socal? Shoot me an email if you want more info or suggestions... [email protected]

52/80 Civil-Geotech......This was my second try and was pretty confident. It sucks to go through studying again but gotta do it. I will nail this thing next.
I understand you, 51/80 Civil-Geo.......I also felt very confident.......So, I think you just missed by 1 point, don't you think?

For anyone feeling down about their results, please take note and feel a lot better:
31/80

I went in cold, and on little sleep. I didn't study at all, and wasn't familiar with the reference manual, so just used the day to study while taking the exam knowing I was going to fail. My worst subject - structural - I got 8/8. :) My best subject hydraulics........I am too embarrassed to say.

Anyone out there do worse than me? Anyone out there who nearly passed without opening any books beforehand?

That's really really bad............I will study the next time, and hope to at least pass the 8 hour.
Will,

31/80 and no studying.....wow imagine if you put 110% effort into this exam. Don't fall into the trap of taking the exam without studying. I had a co-worker who struggled with that and finally passed after 6 times after finally putting in the effort he needed. You have to prepare for this exam like any challenge you face. Sleep is key too, so be sure to develop a good sleeping schedule a week before the exam. You need to be decent in your worst subject cause next time it might not be an 8/8. I too was lucky when I took the exam and got some easy questions on my hardest subject. What depth did you take? If Water and Env., you need to good at both. If only hydraulics, would you consider Transportation? My situation was that I was good in hydraulics but not environmental. So I chose Transportation because I felt I could learn that subject quicker and have a better understanding vs. environmental. Plus, the trans depth includes hydraulics as well. Good luck and I hope you turn than 31 into a 61 or even higher ;)

31/80

Will,

31/80 and no studying.....wow imagine if you put 110% effort into this exam. Don't fall into the trap of taking the exam without studying. I had a co-worker who struggled with that and finally passed after 6 times after finally putting in the effort he needed. You have to prepare for this exam like any challenge you face. Sleep is key too, so be sure to develop a good sleeping schedule a week before the exam. You need to be decent in your worst subject cause next time it might not be an 8/8. I too was lucky when I took the exam and got some easy questions on my hardest subject. What depth did you take? If Water and Env., you need to good at both. If only hydraulics, would you consider Transportation? My situation was that I was good in hydraulics but not environmental. So I chose Transportation because I felt I could learn that subject quicker and have a better understanding vs. environmental. Plus, the trans depth includes hydraulics as well. Good luck and I hope you turn than 31 into a 61 or even higher ;)

That's really great advice for not only me, but for all else planning to take the exam in October. I signed up thinking I would study and do the best I could, but I was overwhelmed with work over the last year - and slept very little, let alone find time to study. I didn't set my priorities very well. My boss was more than supportive if I wanted to focus on the exam, but I chose work instead. Another young engineer in the office focused on the exam and studied non-stop for at least 3 months before the exam, but had been studying for almost a year on and off before those 3 months. His goal was to pass, and work was secondary. It's enviable. And - he was successful. Got his results on Friday - and he passed. I never doubted he wouldn't. I just felt like a loser for not taking it seriously.

I went into the exam with maybe an hours sleep. I couldn't sleep that night for some reason, and it had nothing to do with being nervous about the exam. The diagnostic does show that the questions that I sat and worked through - I did really well. I took my time because I really just used it to study, and familiarize myself with the reference manual. I only answered maybe 20 questions, and then I just randomly bubbled in the last half. All those I guessed on were either 0/# or maybe answered one or two correct - I didn't just choose one letter or probably would have gotten a few more correct.

Great advice on the transportation vs Water Resources/Environmental. I took WR/environmental. I was clueless on the wastewater questions.

.............I spent 2 hours yesterday studying..............so I'm on my way. That's 2 hours more than the first time. :)

Will,

You have the right attitude now which is going to help you. Think positive! Thing of this test as a marathon for yourself. It's not that failed the race but just didn't complete it yet. You are on the final lap. How were you in transportation? Is it better than wastewater? If so, would consider the trans depth? Good luck to you

CA - EE - Power - 1st time
1 General Power Engineering: Measurement & Instrumentation 1/6

2 General Power Engineering: Special Applications 6/8

3 General Power Engineering: Codes & Standards 5/10

4 Circuit Analysis: Analysis 8/9

5 Circuit Analysis: Devices & Power Electronic Circuits 4/7

6 Rotating Machines & Electromagnetic Devices: Rotating Machines 8/10

7 Rotating Machines & Electromagnetic Devices: Electromagnetic Devices 2/6

8 Transmissions & Distribution: System Analysis 5/9

9 Transmissions & Distribution: Power System Performance 4/7

10 Transmissions & Distribution: Protection 5/8

total = 48/80, am I even close to passing?

I completely missed on instrumentation, NEC code, & electromagnetic devices

what topics are Measurement & Instrumentation anyway?
Springaround, sorry to hear about it, you'll nail it next time. What references did you take with you? I highly recommend this book: Power Systems Analysis & Design. It helped me pass it on the first try. Measurement and Instrumentation is pretty wide topics.. like anything that involved testing resistance, or current transformers, ect. Are you in Socal? Shoot me an email if you want more info or suggestions... [email protected]
thanks for your comments, yes i am in Socal and working in the utilities industry. Actually i wasn't surprise (but still upset) by the result because i didn't start study till 3 weeks before the exam due to workload (i chose work over study...) and practically gave up on the NEC and transformer subject. I didn't manage to organize my notes to the folder till the night before the exam. During the exam i finished both AM & PM sections within 2.5 hours and use the rest of the time to double check my answers and flip through all the reference for those questions i either wasn't sure or had no ideas what it was asking for. My strategy was to focus on my strong area in that 3 weeks and hopefully that's enough to pass the exam, turned out i got killed by the NEC and the instrumentation sections (lost 10 points in these 2 sections alone). I just thought i would do better on the Instrumentation & protection coz i deal with these topics at work all the time.

For reference I took the following:

1) Power System Analysis by Hadi Saadat, - my college textbook, not the greatest but cover all the basic,

2) Protective Relaying: Principles and Applications by Blackburn - borrowed it from my colleague, open it once during exam and couldn't find what i was looking for

3) NCEES sample questions and solutions - did all the sample questions twice and still not comfortable with the solution, felt like the type of question and difficulty level are not very close to the actual exam, although it's the closest thing available

4) some note for PE review class - again borrowed it from my colleague 1 week before the exam

5) Power Systems Analysis and Design by Grainger - again used it once and didn't find what i need

I am in a dilemma, i knew that the major issue was i didn't start early and ignore my weak areas; but i am not confident I can improve those areas with self study only neither especially the NEC.

Will a review class significantly improve my weakness? If so will a in-class or on-line class be more efficient?

P.S. I have a close colleague took the exam with me the first time and he passed with even less study time than i did (~20-30 hours max) and he passed. I believed that because he was a licensed electrician before and he was the one teaching me on all my NEC questions without using any reference. This lead me believe that I really need to nail the NEC next time.

Does anyone have good reference on review class and NEC study material?

Will,
You have the right attitude now which is going to help you. Think positive! Thing of this test as a marathon for yourself. It's not that failed the race but just didn't complete it yet. You are on the final lap. How were you in transportation? Is it better than wastewater? If so, would consider the trans depth? Good luck to you

I don't think I made it to the transportation section. I went in order, and by the time I got to that section time was up, so just bubbled in answers. I really really just took my time to read through the book because I knew there would be no way to pass that test without studying. A lot of the information was new to me. With this said, I only answered 1/8 correct on transportation. And the one correct was a guess since I know I didn't read through any of those questions.

I think wastewater for me is more doable because I was exposed to it in school, and not so much transportation. Actually - I have no idea what is in the transportation section. The guy before you said it includes a lot on hydraulics. I still think WR/environmental is the best choice for me. Plus- I've already bought the books for that section, and that's my profession.

Also - I didn't stumble across this board before taking the exam, and I think there's a lot of good advice here, which will help. It's like you said - I need to look at it similar to a person training for a marathon. This is exactly how the guy in my office looked at it, and he seriously did all right. He set his goal, and kept focused on that goal, and worked towards it each day. And now, he's celebrating. Ok, he still has to wait out the results of the seimic and surveying, but having the 8-hr part done and over with would be a nice feeling.

Will, ok it sounds like Water Resources and Wastewater is your depth of choice. Stick to that and learn Wastewater as best you can for the depth. Myself and many others on this board can help you with your transportation in the morning. If you look at the outline given by NCEES, the main focus is horizontal and vertical curves. Instead of memorizing all the equations which you can do, try looking at it from a geometry stand point. That helped me a lot. Go over the examples in the CERM, do the NCEES study books, and maybe even pick up the Lindeburg Quick Reference. Those should be enough for the morning part of trans. Good luck.

Will, ok it sounds like Water Resources and Wastewater is your depth of choice. Stick to that and learn Wastewater as best you can for the depth. Myself and many others on this board can help you with your transportation in the morning. If you look at the outline given by NCEES, the main focus is horizontal and vertical curves. Instead of memorizing all the equations which you can do, try looking at it from a geometry stand point. That helped me a lot. Go over the examples in the CERM, do the NCEES study books, and maybe even pick up the Lindeburg Quick Reference. Those should be enough for the morning part of trans. Good luck.
Again great advice. And - I appreciate the offer of help along the way. Right now - I'm going in order for studying as presented in the test, i.e. construction then geotechnical. I've been first reading the CERM then doing problems. Although I was able to get the ASCE reference materials from the guy in my office who passed the test, I think I may end up also taking a PE review course. From all I've heard, it's worth the investment.

thanks again.

52/80 Civil-Geotech......This was my second try and was pretty confident. It sucks to go through studying again but gotta do it. I will nail this thing next.
I understand you, 51/80 Civil-Geo.......I also felt very confident.......So, I think you just missed by 1 point, don't you think?

I think I missed it by 1 point too, that initially made me sick because there was a look up question I missed. But I am gonna start studying like this is going to be a very hard exam. Good luck to both of us and we will kill it next time.

31/80

ME-HVAC 44/80

In the same boat. Studied a total of 4 hours before the exam. Too many children activities. I usually do not like going cold turkey, but I had already paid for the exam so I just sat in.

31/80

ME-HVAC 44/80

In the same boat. Studied a total of 4 hours before the exam. Too many children activities. I usually do not like going cold turkey, but I had already paid for the exam so I just sat in.

Good to know I'm not alone, but either those 4 hours served you well, or I just am clueless. :) I didn't make any effort to even try to pass. I'm making it a priority for October, and am actually studying some tonight. Hopefully - you'll find the time too. It is important. It will feel nice when we pass and it's over and done with.

31/80

ME-HVAC 44/80

Good to know I'm not alone, but either those 4 hours served you well, or I just am clueless. :) I didn't make any effort to even try to pass. I'm making it a priority for October, and am actually studying some tonight. Hopefully - you'll find the time too. It is important. It will feel nice when we pass and it's over and done with.
I hear you loud and clear. Good Luck.

I wanted to post some encouraging words.

I was a three time opener of a fail mail, and it is very discouraging. I Know now it's reflective of the effort I put into my weak topics. Every 6 months for two years, I'd get the anxious email and subsequent heart drop. I would run my diagnostics, feel depressed, wait a couple months and cram. This last time I finally got the hint. PRACTICE to become comfortable in EVERYTHING... & ONLY use the diagnostics as a tool to evaluate where you need more practice, then practice it over and over until you're comfortable (trust me, you'll know). DONT use the diagnostics to beat yourself up over an imaginary pass line. It's pass or fail, not failed it by 1 or passed by 2. Stay smart about it and You'll be successful.

Steps that helped me pass on the Fourth try:

1) Know your weaknesses & become comfortable in them

2) Sharpen your thought response (formula selection/use)

3) Tab your books for quick reference while #2 ing.

4) Develop a filter for superfluous information

I wish I would've understood this sooner, but to each their own. Don't start too early, and don't cram too much at the end. Just get well rounded, and imagine the diag's report showing an 80% in all cat's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back