post a photo, any photo youve taken, doesnt have to be a good one..

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hopefully those are the rebuilt tora tora tora towers! Can't imagine Doolittle raiders would have left those standing?

Hopefully those are the rebuilt tora tora tora towers! Can't imagine Doolittle raiders would have left those standing?
I'll try to find out from the Navy guys today while on site. It had sounded as if they were original when we were getting our tour from the contractor.

Edit: they are the original towers. We didn't bomb this far North.

The smoke from those fires has made it's way down to Atlanta.  It was really hazy this morning and it's not the normal "big city" haziness. 
Having just recently visited there, we could totally smell it during the day.

My kids scout troop had thanksgiving in this (reproduction) Fort.. it was really cool and we cooked all the food in Dutch ovens or over "coals". Was a blast....

5b9e2ce507be31c7332d1b5355bf3e45.jpg

I think the indigenous people burned down the original fort (not that there's anything wrong with that)

I know wildfires are a natural part of the forest but I don't recall many in the Appalachians over the years, hope you all get some rain soon!  Are these all lightning born or campfire born?

we had one in the summer that was around 60 miles away and you could really smell and taste the smoke from that far away - that one was started by some bums from Alabama (like no joke young people that choose to be homeless that started a campfire but didn't put it out)
They think there are multiple sources - some lightning based, one as the result of a car fire, and several from trash burning.  It's pretty rare for it to get as dry as it is out there.  The smoke was bad.  Sunday morning in Hickory, NC which is about 3.5 hours east was a total fog, and the smell was very thick.  I had to drive a good 30 minutes south for it to start to dissipate.  

Hack! A real sniper never reveals his position. That muzzle should be concealed.
I don't think you need to be a sniper when the extent of your target's logic is "guys!  Over here!  There's food all over the place, in the middle of nowhere!  Wow, talk about luck!"

Looks like they're talking about possible tsunami now too.

16 hours ago, matt267 PE said: Looks like they're talking about possible tsunami now too.
Heard about this too. Hopefully they've since improved their infrastructure surrounding Fukashima (sp?).
Two of the plants were shut down immediately following the shaker. Caused a few blackouts but there was no damages reported that I've heard of. Everything is up and running again from what broken engrish I've been able to decipher.

It sounds like they were more prepared this time to handle the shake and rinse cycles.

Two of the plants were shut down immediately following the shaker. Caused a few blackouts but there was no damages reported that I've heard of. Everything is up and running again from what broken engrish I've been able to decipher.

It sounds like they were more prepared this time to handle the shake and rinse cycles.
They should be, but keep in mind, the tsunami is what did the real damage at Fukushima, not the earthquake itself.  They downgraded the tsunami threat this morning to what looked like some mild storm surge that didn't even cause flooding.

To be fair, they shut down the plants during the earthquake 5 years ago too.  I'd be curious to know if they've moved their backup generators since then.  

Back