Plastic Analysis

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Casey

Reaction score
For some reason in my bachelor's program we ignored this subject and in my masters we spend maybe a week on it. So I am not that familiar with it. I have a basic idea how to use this method, but I am not sure when I am required to apply it.

Are there certain types of questions or situations that make it obvious that plastic analysis needs to be considered? Or can I avoid it all together?

When I was studying this part, the simple beams and frames were fairly straight forward, but once the structure starts getting bigger and you run into more failure combinations I start to get confused...

Anyone have any idea what we might expect on the exam? I managed to track down one textbook and one of EIT's course notes to help me out, but I am just not sure if I should be focusing too hard on this particular subject and if I should, what parts should I be focusing on?

Thanks.

I don't have the book in front of me to look it up, but I am pretty sure Plastic Design can be used when Lb < Lp. It has to do with the unbraced lengths. Under either Lr or Lp you can use plastic design (plastic modulus Z * Fy), but over that length and you have to use yield design (section modulus S * Fy). That is my understanding, but look in the AISC in the beam section before the beam tables. It specifies the criteria of when plastic design can be used. I agree, we didn't cover plastic design in my undergrad class.

One thing I have yet to figure out is how to calculate the plastic modulus for sections not listed in the AISC manual. My steel textbook does a horrible job of explaining it, and the only example is a generic T section. It doesn't seem to have a formula like bh^2/6 like for a section modulus of a rectangular section. I'm praying that it isn't one of the questions on the SE I exam!!!

I don't have the book in front of me to look it up, but I am pretty sure Plastic Design can be used when Lb < Lp. It has to do with the unbraced lengths. Under either Lr or Lp you can use plastic design (plastic modulus Z * Fy), but over that length and you have to use yield design (section modulus S * Fy). That is my understanding, but look in the AISC in the beam section before the beam tables. It specifies the criteria of when plastic design can be used. I agree, we didn't cover plastic design in my undergrad class.
One thing I have yet to figure out is how to calculate the plastic modulus for sections not listed in the AISC manual. My steel textbook does a horrible job of explaining it, and the only example is a generic T section. It doesn't seem to have a formula like bh^2/6 like for a section modulus of a rectangular section. I'm praying that it isn't one of the questions on the SE I exam!!!

Z = .25bd**2 for a rectangle. Look on pg 17-36, part 17 at the end of AISC 13th. See the following link:

http://coecs.ou.edu/ENGR2153001/www/engr21...%205/sec5.7.doc

I agree. I feel the same about pre-stressed concrete in building design.
I have barely touched pre-stressed as well and am banking on it not being there. I will commit half a day to it though.

I am also hoping that plastic design is more of an SE I type question, as I think it will fits the multiple-choice format better. i.e. it's more of a short answer question.

I can't honestly think of a situation where plastic design is the only option to solve a problem. Can anyone else think of one?

And Buening, thanks for your input. For beam design I will just follow AISC and try to use the tables as much as possible. I'll read over the sections you suggested to make sure I am on track.

My main problem is having to go through the iterations to find your failure mechanisms with plastic hinges. A simple beam or frame (two columns, one beam) is more or less traight forward, but after I feel it starts to get messy.

I got my AISC manual out and flipped through it to make sure I was thinking correctly. It is actually in the Spec section F. When Lb<Lp then you can use plastic section modulus (F2-1). When Lp < Lb <Lr you have to interpolate between plastic and elastic (Equation F2-2). If Lb > Lr then you have to use elastic design (Eq F2-3). Keep in mind this is for doubly symmetric COMPACT members bent about the major axis. When bent about the minor axis, make sure you note that FyZy < 1.6FySy (Eq F6-1). They have an upper limit on the plastic moment.

If you happen to have a steel design textbook, they typically cover Virtual Work for frames and continuous beams. This is the only way that I know to do the plastic failure mechanisms. The SERM also covers this as well, but I don't think it gets into bents with more than two columns/one beam. I'm not a building guy, but would the leaning column theory kick in after two columns/one beam?

Don't take my advice as totally correct, as I'm a bridge guy refreshing my building stuff for the SE I. Hopefully Kevo will chime in for some sage advice :beerchug:

Thanks for the info Arlord. For some reason I forgot about that section in the AISC manual. It has now been tabbed!

Casey,

Don't you have "Structural Steel Design: LRFD" by Williams?

I have the ASD version of the book and chapter 4 is about plastic design.

buening, you are for the most part right. Virtual work (or a "mechanism" method of design) is one way to find out where your plastic hinges will occur.

I prefer a "statical" method of design where someone really smart made a bunch of nice beam diagrams of common beam diagrams with loadings on where plastic hinges will occur.

No matter what, I dont think that you'll have to do any matrix analysis or virtual work calculations during the SEII. Having knowledge of plastic design and a "feeling" on where hinges will occur is a more likely question.

Keep going guys!! We're at the home stretch!!

Thanks for the confirmation Kevo! There was a few virtual work problems in the 6 minute solutions, so I wasn't sure if I should expect them on the SE I. Ok, so say we have a simply supported beam with Lb < Lr, we can just use FxZx to find the allowable design moment right (times phi of course)? Plastic hinge locations really aren't a concern for the basic SE I as far as I know, unless we are asked to determine the failure mechanism or if there are continuous beams to determine the moment in the controlling span. The more I think about it the more I second guess myself :D

Casey,
Don't you have "Structural Steel Design: LRFD" by Williams?

I have the ASD version of the book and chapter 4 is about plastic design.

buening, you are for the most part right. Virtual work (or a "mechanism" method of design) is one way to find out where your plastic hinges will occur.

I prefer a "statical" method of design where someone really smart made a bunch of nice beam diagrams of common beam diagrams with loadings on where plastic hinges will occur.

No matter what, I dont think that you'll have to do any matrix analysis or virtual work calculations during the SEII. Having knowledge of plastic design and a "feeling" on where hinges will occur is a more likely question.

Keep going guys!! We're at the home stretch!!
Kevo,

Yes, I have Williams' "Structural Steel Design: LRFD" and it was with that I was getting frustrated with plastic analysis. When he started using larger structures or the whole floor network it really frightened me! I do plan on going over that again. And perhaps will focus on finding where the plastic hings will form.

Which beam diagrams are you referring to? Do you have an example? I hope you are not referring to the beam diagrams found in Part 3 of the Steel Handbook; otherwise, I will feel foolish.

Edit: If they are asking questions like the ones seen in this link then I am fine. But when they start adding more to the structure it seems to me the analysis becomes more detailed.

In any case, I am not too worried about plastic design. I don't think they will throw anything too hard at us, probably won't even get such a question. I am expecting at least one wall (either in or out-of-plan) and one diaphragm question...

Good luck everyone! Almost there...

Last edited by a moderator:
Casey,

My work has a bunch of tables taken (stolen) from some book and then bound. Of course, now I have them as well. Some of these tables are similar to the beam diagrams in part 3, but others are slightly more complex.

At any rate, I wouldn't stress too much about plastic design. Just get a feeling on where your hinges will occur on a fixed-fixed beam with a uniform loading. I think that is the best thing to take away out of plastic analysis.

Good luck!!

Rock on Casey!

:th_rockon:

Let kick ass on exams this week everyone!! :bio:

:p10940623: :p10940623: :p10940623: Good Luck everyone! Let's do this! :p10940623: :p10940623: :p10940623:

I remember taking Plastic Design of Steel structures in grad school and the professor said the first day that it's pretty useless in the real world.

Back