ordering a pizza in 2015

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
zxleg8.jpg

I wish Mrs. ble liked pizza so I could have it more often. Oh well, I'm probably better off that she doesn't, that way I don't eat as much.
we are a carb loving family, so pizza is about a once a week thing for us. We also either make tacos or go out for mexican at least once a week too.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, with Obama signing the healthcare bill, has this become closer to reality?

I think so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that we are on the rails toward single payer, I think we'll start to see pressure (read that increased taxes) on activity deemed "unhealthy" by those in power. After all, it's not going to be just you affected by eating that Big Mac, since your health insurance is going to be funded by my taxes, I (through the government) now have a direct interest in making sure you eat the proper things and exercise regularly.

Considering how they are now going to require restaurants to start posting nutritional info everywhere, I don't think it will be too long before they start encouraging them to reduce the calories or fat, or pay for it in the form of a tax like Flyer said.

What nonsense. Healthcare is a right. I demand healthy food also, that would reduce my take on the fed system so it should be supplied to me.

Here's an interesting read on healthcare reform titled "The Case to Kill Granny" posted from Newsweek:
http://www.newsweek.com/id/215291

It's basically discussing the insane amount of public money (medicare/medicaid) spent on chronically ill and elderly people, which in the long run does not necessarily increase the quality of life for the extended amount of life given.

As President Obama said, most of the uncontrolled growth in federal spending and the deficit comes from Medicare; nothing else comes close. Almost a third of the money spent by Medicare—about $66.8 billion a year—goes to chronically ill patients in the last two years of life. This might seem obvious—of course the costs come at the end, when patients are the sickest. But that can't explain what researchers at Dartmouth have discovered: Medicare spends twice as much on similar patients in some parts of the country as in others. The average cost of a Medicare patient in Miami is $16,351; the average in Honolulu is $5,311. In the Bronx, N.Y., it's $12,543. In Fargo, N.D., $5,738. The average Medicare patient undergoing end-of-life treatment spends 21.9 days in a Manhattan hospital. In Mason City, Iowa, he or she spends only 6.1 days. Maybe it's unsurprising that treatment in rural towns costs less than in big cities, with all their high prices, varied populations, and urban woes. But there are also significant disparities in towns that are otherwise very similar. How do you explain the fact, for instance, that in Boulder, Colo., the average cost of Medicare treatment is $9,103, whereas an hour away in Fort Collins, Colo., the cost is $6,448?

All this treatment does not necessarily buy better care. In fact, the Dartmouth studies have found worse outcomes in many states and cities where there is more health care. Why? Because just going into the hospital has risks—of infection, or error, or other unforeseen complications. Some studies estimate that Americans are overtreated by roughly 30 percent. "It's not about rationing care—that's always the bogeyman people use to block reform," says Dr. Elliott Fisher, a professor at Dartmouth Medical School. "The real problem is unnecessary and unwanted care."
Having 3 direct family members working in the medical industry, I hear about this on a daily basis. Go to a nursing home and you will find just about every patient there on at least 5 different drugs. 1 for a mild heart condition (which if undiscovered would not change the quality or length of life, but should be treated "just in case"), 2 to treat the side effects of the heart meds, 2 more to treat the side effects of the pills treating the heart med side effects, etc, all stemming from a drug that isn't really needed in the first place. You go into the ER with stomach pain and next thing you know you're getting passed through an EKG, MRI, blood tests, etc, when any 1st year med student would correctly tell you to take some pepto and call in the morning, but is scared to death of malpractice he orders everything under the sun.
Hey, that every test under the sun saved my life when I was really faking being sick in the 5th grade. They actually found something wrong when I was faking being sick to get out of school. After a couple of weeks, my mom took me to the hospital, and then within the month I was having a kidney surgery.

Back