OMG you poor people who are still waiting for results!!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lefty Lucy

Reaction score
So, reading all these PE results posts yesterday had me wound up tighter than a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs! I obsessively checked the Wa. state licensing board page all day, but nothing, still "Engineer in Training" every time. When would I find out???

This morning I wake up and check my email, and there it is! The NCEES email! I log in and request my results, thinking this better not take an hour like it says it might. 20 seconds later the results email appears in my inbox. I thought I was going to vomit. I wondered if I should even open it because, to be honest, I was pretty sure I failed. I remember leaving the exam room after the test and thinking it could have gone either way. I took the Mechanical PE (Machine Design in the afternoon) and there was this thing about enthalpies I couldn't remember that tripped me up on like 5 problems, plus my HVAC skills are really shaky since I have never in my life taken an HVAC class despite having graduated from a very good ABET-accredited institution! Then, while waiting the 2 months for results, the more I thought about it, the more I was convinced I must have failed. I just didn't think I was gonna end up close enough to 70% correct. So, fully expecting bad news, I opened the email and...

I PASSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a relief! So now I'm just really feeling sorry for those who are still waiting, that must really suck when so many others have gotten their results. Every day must be agony at this point. Just remember, you might have passed even if you don't think you did! I'll cross my fingers for you all.

Hey, how are you who passed signing their names? Jane Smith, PE or Jane Smith, P.E. ? When do you think we get our wall certificates?

So, reading all these PE results posts yesterday had me wound up tighter than a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs! I obsessively checked the Wa. state licensing board page all day, but nothing, still "Engineer in Training" every time. When would I find out???
This morning I wake up and check my email, and there it is! The NCEES email! I log in and request my results, thinking this better not take an hour like it says it might. 20 seconds later the results email appears in my inbox. I thought I was going to vomit. I wondered if I should even open it because, to be honest, I was pretty sure I failed. I remember leaving the exam room after the test and thinking it could have gone either way. I took the Mechanical PE (Machine Design in the afternoon) and there was this thing about enthalpies I couldn't remember that tripped me up on like 5 problems, plus my HVAC skills are really shaky since I have never in my life taken an HVAC class despite having graduated from a very good ABET-accredited institution! Then, while waiting the 2 months for results, the more I thought about it, the more I was convinced I must have failed. I just didn't think I was gonna end up close enough to 70% correct. So, fully expecting bad news, I opened the email and...

What a relief! So now I'm just really feeling sorry for those who are still waiting, that must really suck when so many others have gotten their results. Every day must be agony at this point. Just remember, you might have passed even if you don't think you did! I'll cross my fingers for you all.

Hey, how are you who passed signing their names? Jane Smith, PE or Jane Smith, P.E. ? When do you think we get our wall certificates?

Lefty Lucy - I am still on the boat like you were...I took ME in MD...the morning was good but afternoon not so much...till now I am convinced that I gonna fail but finding myself in your situation is giving me false hope......lol...Can you tell me how much you expected to be correct in morning/evening or total?

So, reading all these PE results posts yesterday had me wound up tighter than a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs!
LOL! I love that!

I believe the consensus is P.E. ... but there is a thread around here somewhere with the actual poll.

anyways, Congrats!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
so if you dont get the email you cant find out online?
Well, here in Washington state, our licensing board still has not updated my status, it still reads Engineer in Training. I imagine that will change soon. I think it varies from state to state though, some people seem to have seen it on their state website before they got any notification from NCEES.

I took the same exam and feel the same way so there maybe hope.

Unfortunatly I am in VA and will have to wait until January to find out. I would assume every state gets the results about the same time as my last diognostic was run on 12/17/08. I expect is was run today (hopefully not a diognostic) and then the results are mailed to VA so they should get the results by Friday. What happens after that is unknown.

now I am convinced that I gonna fail but finding myself in your situation is giving me false hope......lol...Can you tell me how much you expected to be correct in morning/evening or total?
Jeez, I really can't say... I'm perplexed by all these people who are like, "In the morning I think I got 34 right and in the afternoon I probably got 32 right, for an uncorrected score of blah blah..." Really? I was more like, I might have gotten between 20 and 60 right. Unless it was more, or less.

I thought I sucked on the morning exam. I guessed outright (as in, pick a letter, any letter) on about 5 and felt uncertain about 10 or 15, so that could easily have been as bad as 50% correct. In the afternoon I felt I did better and didn't make many random guesses, but it's not like I thought I aced it. I doubt I did better than 80% correct on that session, which would put me right around the presumed 60-70% cut score overall. For both sessions, I worked right up until they told me to stop and could have used more time. So it was probably close -- I probably didn't pass by much. I did the same mental gymnastics you're doing, trying to figure out if I'd passed or not. You just can't really know until you get the results I guess.

PE denotes the exam you just passed (congrats btw), P.E. denotes the initials you have just earned. In MI, you have to order the "pretty" wall certificate - however, the hardcopy license certificate was within 7 days.

Well, here in Washington state, our licensing board still has not updated my status, it still reads Engineer in Training. I imagine that will change soon. I think it varies from state to state though, some people seem to have seen it on their state website before they got any notification from NCEES.
You probably won't show up in your State's licensing database until tomorrow at earliest. It took a day or two after email notification in MI for my PS.

now I am convinced that I gonna fail but finding myself in your situation is giving me false hope......lol...Can you tell me how much you expected to be correct in morning/evening or total?
Jeez, I really can't say... I'm perplexed by all these people who are like, "In the morning I think I got 34 right and in the afternoon I probably got 32 right, for an uncorrected score of blah blah..." Really? I was more like, I might have gotten between 20 and 60 right. Unless it was more, or less.

I thought I sucked on the morning exam. I guessed outright (as in, pick a letter, any letter) on about 5 and felt uncertain about 10 or 15, so that could easily have been as bad as 50% correct. In the afternoon I felt I did better and didn't make many random guesses, but it's not like I thought I aced it. I doubt I did better than 80% correct on that session, which would put me right around the presumed 60-70% cut score overall. For both sessions, I worked right up until they told me to stop and could have used more time. So it was probably close -- I probably didn't pass by much. I did the same mental gymnastics you're doing, trying to figure out if I'd passed or not. You just can't really know until you get the results I guess.
I remembered well until a week after ...now I don't even have a clue how many I messed up...lol...you're right...gonna wait and see... prepping myself towards fail though....just in case...

I did not think I did as well in the morning either. The afternoon was better (MD) but there were a few that caught me off guard. It all came down to time for me as I could have used another 1/2 hour in both morning and afternoon.

I am not poor because I have my family support me. If I fail this time (I still waiting my result) that I just need to take again (No big deal out of it). I am 26 years old now, and I will keep trying until I pass. No matter 100 times or more.

FYI

I got the email from NCEES quite a few weeks before Washington updated their website.

I also was wondering about the dol website for WA, so I asked them. Here is the response:

"Results just went out yesterday. It will be about another 2 weeks before we issue license numbers. NCEES sends out the results - Board staff must process the results (we receive the results from NCEES the same day you do), compile a ledger of passing candidates and enter each candidate's license number separately. It is a lengthy process so that is why it takes a couple of weeks after the result letters go out."

Latest posts

Back