October 2020 Post Exam Wait Period - Welcome to the Suck

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NCEES sends a random sample of exam takers receive a survey about a week after the exam. It mostly asks questions about the exam site environmental conditions (noise, temperature, etc), and a few personal background questions like years since graduation, # of references brought into the exam, # of references actual used during the exam. 

It is in no way reflective of how one did during the exam, nor will the results of the survey effect one's score.

NCEES sends a random sample of exam takers receive a survey about a week after the exam. It mostly asks questions about the exam site environmental conditions (noise, temperature, etc), and a few personal background questions like years since graduation, # of references brought into the exam, # of references actual used during the exam. 

It is in no way reflective of how one did during the exam, nor will the results of the survey effect one's score.
Yes, but the legend is that if you get the survey before the results, that means you failed... Or something like that

Don't put thoughts in my head like that.  I have enough paranoia without that.
I wouldn’t worry I received my survey email on Oct. 27th which is 5 days after the exam they didn’t even grade my FE that quickly lol. No way they had it graded by then... Or is there 😳🥺😷🤢🤮😭

Hello, I'm in the waiting game now. I just took my CBT power exam yesterday. Hope I have a passing mark. Do you guys know how do they calculate the passing score for a CBT type exam? I am hearing that 10 out of the 80 questions are a pre-test questions and will not be part of the scoring . So in total, there will be just 70 scored questions.. 

Hello, I'm in the waiting game now. I just took my CBT power exam yesterday. Hope I have a passing mark. Do you guys know how do they calculate the passing score for a CBT type exam? I am hearing that 10 out of the 80 questions are a pre-test questions and will not be part of the scoring . So in total, there will be just 70 scored questions.. 
I'm pretty sure that's just speculation. Someone shared their diagnostic from a failed Mechanical CBT exam and this was the case, but it doesn't mean it was the case for the Power CBT exam. (I took the Power CBT exam last Tuesday)

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm pretty sure that's just speculation. Someone shared their diagnostic from a failed Mechanical CBT exam and this was the case, but it doesn't mean it was the case for the Power CBT exam. (I took the Power CBT exam last Tuesday)
image.png

There are pre-test questions but the number in each exam is unknown (to us)

@LyceeFruit PE Thanks for clarifying! Based on that text, I agree with your take on it.

Now I'm just hoping the ones where I thought "What is this, I've never seen anything like this" were pre-test questions, lol.

I'd hate to find out that I spent additional time on questions that didn't count when I could have spent that time on questions that are actually scored.  Would be better if they would just score them all.
The FE is the same way.

Whether the items are scored or not, you still get the full amount of time to complete 80 questions. And who says that the full 80 questions on the pen and paper were included in the score? I'm fairly certain for the Oct 2019 Power examination, at least 1 question was thrown out, so scores were out of 79.

The FE is the same way.

Whether the items are scored or not, you still get the full amount of time to complete 80 questions. And who says that the full 80 questions on the pen and paper were included in the score? I'm fairly certain for the Oct 2019 Power examination, at least 1 question was thrown out, so scores were out of 79.
Interesting point.  I guess in the grand scheme of things, everyone gets the same test so it shouldn't matter.

The FE is the same way.

I think the way NCEES counts those questions, won’t hurt us. I believe even thought they won’t count those questions, still if someone answered them right, they will get the score. And whoever missed them, won’t lose any score. It will be bad for those that spent too much time on those questions and missed the opportunity to solve other problems. That’s why it is important to go after easy problems first. Me, personally not good at it, it’s kinda hard for me to skip a problem and come back to it. But I really tried to watch it while I was taking the exam. I think I flagged like 14 problems in the morning on my first round then on the second round, I reduced them to 7 I believe, then I finally completely guessed like 5 problems. 
will see how I did; I wasn’t happy with my overall  performance but I think I did good on prioritizing exam problems from easy to guessing. 
feel like next week around this time will find out! 🙏🏻

Just out of curiosity, what are everyone's disciplines in here?  I'm a civil, geotechnical.

The FE is the same way.

I failed the Oct 2019 Power exam (pen and paper) and my diagnostic report shows my score out of 80, so it doesn't appear that any questions were thrown out. They may have just given you the point for the question that may have been erroneous. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back