October 2019 Post Exam Wait Period - Welcome to the Suck

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How'd you know?
That is just my opinion based on what I've read.  I went back and looked at many of the issues of The Licensure Exchange from the past few years.  All of the meetings of this type have been scheduled in advance, obviously.  Each fiscal year there is an agenda of things to accomplish and they are scheduled throughout the fiscal year.  This months issue talks about things that will take place this year, some of which have not yet been scheduled.  That alone leads me to the conclusion that since it has not been scheduled for December, then they have to be referring to the next exam cycle this year (fiscal)...but I could be wrong!

That is just my opinion based on what I've read.  I went back and looked at many of the issues of The Licensure Exchange from the past few years.  All of the meetings of this type have been scheduled in advance, obviously.  Each fiscal year there is an agenda of things to accomplish and they are scheduled throughout the fiscal year.  This months issue talks about things that will take place this year, some of which have not yet been scheduled.  That alone leads me to the conclusion that since it has not been scheduled for December, then they have to be referring to the next exam cycle this year (fiscal)...but I could be wrong!

so youre sayin theres a chance.jpg

Do you have a source?  I am thinking likely correct, because I know they gave out Surveyor in Training and that is also listed on the audit list.
You're confusing apples and orangutans in that article. 

FE, FS, PS, and SE have no bearing on the PE exam results release.

The committee does lots of audits; it's their job. An audit meeting is different from sitting as an observer on a different committee's cut score meeting. The relevant portion from that blurb is that they will observe in on the Control systems cut score meeting. "will" as in future tense, ergo the control systems cut score meeting hasn't happened as of the time of the writing.

The results will be released before the registration deadline for next exam cycle, or there'll be hell to pay. That means that the control systems cut score meeting will need to happen sometime before maybe the end of January, or so? Probably well before that, but it won't be after that without fire and brimstone raining down on Clemson, SC.

You're confusing apples and orangutans in that article. 

FE, FS, PS, and SE have no bearing on the PE exam results release.

The committee does lots of audits; it's their job. An audit meeting is different from sitting as an observer on a different committee's cut score meeting. The relevant portion from that blurb is that they will observe in on the Control systems cut score meeting. "will" as in future tense, ergo the control systems cut score meeting hasn't happened as of the time of the writing.
But that will could be for the next exam, correct?

I'm reasonably sure its for the oct 19 administration.
I apologize if I hitting points of you wanting to say dude, just shut up.  My thought process is as follows.

Dec '18 meeting the following note appears in Licensure Exchange:

It will also observe standard-setting studies for the FE, Fundamentals of Surveying (FS), PE Chemical, and PE Fire Protection exams.

PE Fire Protection happened before this article came out. 

PE Exam Standard Setting Meeting for Chemical was February of 2019.

August of 19 had the Standards-Setting Meeting for FE, and FS.

I think it is possible they cover both past and future standards setting in that article.

Dec '17 Mention Architectural, Electrical and Computer, Environmental, and Structural

Electrical and COmputer, environmental, architectural were in may of 18.  I can't find a listing anywhere for Structural

Last edited by a moderator:
I apologize if I hitting points of you wanting to say dude, just shut up.  My thought process is as follows.

It will also observe standard-setting studies for the FE, Fundamentals of Surveying (FS), PE Chemical, and PE Fire Protection exams.

I think it is possible they cover both past and future standards setting in that article.

Dec '17 Mention Architectural, Electrical and Computer, Environmental, and Structural

Electrical and COmputer, environmental, architectural were in may of 18.  I can't find a listing anywhere for Structural
Good info here

Looking into this it seems like it has to be for the October 2019 administration for a couple of reasons.

The first is that the standards are brand new as of the October 2019 administration, which seems to be the entire reason for having one of these meetings in the first place. 

The second is that the Control Systems exam is only offered in October. I suppose that could mean they might do it next year, but it seems pretty certain that they'd want to do it for this administration especially if it's only once a year.

My thought process is as follows.

I think it is possible they cover both past and future standards setting in that article
Hmm, you could be right. It's moot anyway since the help@ncees confirmed that the control systems cut score meeting has not occurred yet. The whole exercise was configured out determined if that meeting happened yet or not.

also: dude, just shut up ;)

image.pngimage.png

Based on previous PE result released by NCEES, I concluded it always comes with couples days after the SE Exam Scoring Workshop.

Think PE result will be announced by early next week.

View attachment 14682View attachment 14679

Based on previous PE result released by NCEES, I concluded it always comes with couples days after the SE Exam Scoring Workshop.

Think PE result will be announced by early next week.
So it seems pretty consistent that the SE scoring meeting occurs one week after Thanksgiving, and results come out the following week. 2017 was the only year that results came out before Wednesday of that week. The only outlier is 2014, when the results came the second Monday following the SE meeting. 

Small sample size, I know, but it seems like 12/11 or 12/12 is the most likely release for anyone lucky enough to get Day 1 results.

Following up on yesterday's conversation with @SDB, the Ohio board has a January 20th application deadline for those who failed the October '19 administration and want to retake the exam in the April '20 administration. (The deadline for everyone else is December 20th, just a couple weeks away.) Many other states will have similar deadlines. The member boards are going to be PO'd if they have to push those deadlines back because the results haven't been released for the previous administration. And despite the fact that their income stream technically comes from the examinees, the member boards are NCEES's customers, make no mistake about it. This makes me confident that results will be out by mid-January, at the latest, barring some cataclysm of biblical proportions.

Disclaimer: if you're in a decoupled state, there won't be any such deadlines... But, hopefully, you knew that, already.

Screenshot_20191205-074529.png

@Will.I.Am in OH, you have to re-apply to sit if you fail? In VT, you apply once, the application is good for 2 years (so ~4 exams) and after that, you have to re-apply if you fail but you have to wait 2 years to re-apply. 

Great work @pakrwy!

I think this it first time anyone mapped out the relationship between SE scoring workshop and release date. It's in interesting pattern where is comes out two Monday's later on even years, and the following Friday on odd years.So that would imply a SE release on Dec 12 this year. @tj_PE @ChaosMuppetPE

There isn't a causal relationship between SE and PE wrt to release dates. I think its a coincidence that they release near each other, due mostly to them having similar exam dates. A relative delay in the PE release is due to a late cut score meeting.

For October exams

Year     Meeting       Mtg Date       release date

12        Nuclear       Dec 7-8         Dec 12

13        None           NA                  Dec 4                   

14        Petro            Dec 9-10        Dec 15

15        Mat Sci        Dec 4-7          Dec 11

16        Mining         Dec 3-4          Dec 8

17        None            NA                  Dec 4     

18        Fire Prot      Nov 28-29      Dec 5  

19       Ctrl Sys         ?

@Will.I.Am in OH, you have to re-apply to sit if you fail? In VT, you apply once, the application is good for 2 years (so ~4 exams) and after that, you have to re-apply if you fail but you have to wait 2 years to re-apply. 
Similar in MD, you get three attempts per application.  In the Ohio case it could be that the reapplication date is for those who have hit their timeline/failure limit

Back