October 2019 15k SPAM Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My company is suuuuuuuper old-fashioned about having butts in seats in the office, and it might be my least favorite thing about them.  My first job (with a huge company, ironically enough), I would go downtown if I had meetings, but otherwise, I worked from home and nobody cared.  Because it literally does not matter.  I was so much happier, especially now that I see how much being in the office can contribute to spikes in my mental health issues.  Will probably make telecommuting ability my #1 criteria for the next job I look for.
Ugh, that is how my most recent company was.  It sucked because I mostly did report writing/wasn't actively managing a bunch of field project (they were all in the reporting stage), but I still had to commute 1 hour there and 2 hours back every day.  The OM didn't care, very old-fashioned about having people in the office, but it didn't matter to him because he only lived 20-minutes away.  Recently, when I moved for a new job, I made sure to get an apartment as close as physically possible.  Yeah, driving to the gym after work is 30-minutes with traffic, but if I just wanted to go home it's only 15-minutes and that has made me, mentally, so much more stable and happy.

I'd love to telecommute but I know I would never leave my apartment then.

This is kind of ridiculous (788 pages?).  

Anyway, the company I work for also provides a ton of free food (we go out for breakfast/lunch often on the company's dime) and I play a lot of free golf with the owner/boss/co-workers/client.  I just wasn't able to play a lot this past year with all the studying, but I at least got in several rounds.

This is kind of ridiculous (788 pages?).  

Anyway, the company I work for also provides a ton of free food (we go out for breakfast/lunch often on the company's dime) and I play a lot of free golf with the owner/boss/co-workers/client.  I just wasn't able to play a lot this past year with all the studying, but I at least got in several rounds.
...you know what you should play?  EB-themed mafia...

Ugh, that is how my most recent company was.  It sucked because I mostly did report writing/wasn't actively managing a bunch of field project (they were all in the reporting stage), but I still had to commute 1 hour there and 2 hours back every day.  The OM didn't care, very old-fashioned about having people in the office, but it didn't matter to him because he only lived 20-minutes away.  Recently, when I moved for a new job, I made sure to get an apartment as close as physically possible.  Yeah, driving to the gym after work is 30-minutes with traffic, but if I just wanted to go home it's only 15-minutes and that has made me, mentally, so much more stable and happy.

I'd love to telecommute but I know I would never leave my apartment then.
Funny enough, I left my apartment a lot more when I worked from home. I went for runs at lunchtime, and I was more likely to go out with friends because I didn't feel like I needed as many nights in to recoup from the day/week. I also cooked a lot more, which saved money and made me happier...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back