October 2019 15k SPAM Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Def agree.  When I sing French I find the placement of my tongue and vowels different from German, and Italian is def more forward.  It's most interesting when I sing an English song.  Tbh, when I sing pop I know my singing sounds different than when I sing 'classical' English-language songs.  I think it's neat how our brain works like that and language is so different.
I'm not sure that the accent is neurological when singing. I think it's bio-mechanical.

Regular speaking accents are in the brain though.

Also, when talking to my mom she said she didn't have an accent.  In a heavy LI accent.  She then went on a rant about raking leaves.
No one thinks they have an accent. It's all relative. But it takes a certain level of self awareness and cosmopolitan attitude to realize that everyone, including the self, has an accent.

On a similar note; everyone code switches, but nobody realizes that they do it; except for the aforementioned uber self-aware. It's hard to spot it in the moment unless you are consciously aware of it and trying to avoid it. I think it's unfair that politicians get criticized for it so often. They can't really help it, since they are always talking to different people; usually on camera so its easy to compare and observe how often it happens.

Performers do it all the time too, and on camera, but people just write it off as part of the act.

Wobble wobble

top! 🏄‍♀️

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure that the accent is neurological when singing. I think it's bio-mechanical.

Regular speaking accents are in the brain though.
Which makes it really fun when you make yourself sing 'bad' and with accents.  This drives my grandmother crazy because she could not carry a tune in a bucket whereas my mother/ dad/ the rest of my siblings can all sing fairly well and we love to sing 'bad' to joke with each other.  She does not like squeaky alien Hallelujah chorus.  I do not know why.

As for my mom saying she doesn't have an accent...she knows she has a thick LI accent.  That was her just making fun of me and trying to be prim and proper.  She just wanted to rant to someone for an hour (and my dad wanted to talk about mail), so my ten-minute call turned into a hour and a half.  😗

Where in South Africa? Safari, Capetown, Joburg, Durban? I loved it there.
capetown, gondwana/wildlife preserve treks, great white cage hanging in gansbaai or hermanus, whale watching, wine drinking etc

hitting up liverpool and wales on the way there bc why not

capetown, gondwana/wildlife preserve treks, great white cage hanging in gansbaai or hermanus, whale watching, wine drinking etc

hitting up liverpool and wales on the way there bc why not
Oooooo!  That sounds amazing, tj!  I want to do a safari one day, maybe a riding one?  I heard really good reviews for some of the preserves but I'm not sure I'm fit-enough to get back into horseback riding and do that type of trek.  How are you going to travel through South Africa?  Tour groups?  Random car hiring?

nice!

I did the great white cage diving out of Gansbaai. Eat the breakfast they give you, and take motion sickness pills. It can get rough on those tiny boats.

Whale watching is easy. There's literally a guy in Hemanus who job it is to make a noise when a whale is spotted in the bay - which is often.

Oooooo!  That sounds amazing, tj!  I want to do a safari one day, maybe a riding one?  I heard really good reviews for some of the preserves but I'm not sure I'm fit-enough to get back into horseback riding and do that type of trek.  How are you going to travel through South Africa?  Tour groups?  Random car hiring?
DIY travel planning (6 of us). We're going to rent a car when we drive along the coast to the sharks and whales and the preserve. we did lots of research before we chose. a mixture of tours and diy sightseeing in cape town as well. we have a whole google spreadsheet matrix we use for planning lol

nice!

I did the great white cage diving out of Gansbaai. Eat the breakfast they give you, and take motion sickness pills. It can get rough on those tiny boats.

Whale watching is easy. There's literally a guy in Hemanus who job it is to make a noise when a whale is spotted in the bay - which is often.
we're gonna do a combo thing of sharks in the am, shower the grime off, then whales in the pm for time efficiency. with the same company and they will feed us and keep us safe i hope! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back