October 2019 15k SPAM Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Me too. You aren’t alone...I’m wondering why I started working at a new job. Because it sucks being pto po!
Me three!  Except I'm not PTO pooooor, per se, I just have multiple trips planned out until June 2020 (including secret trip back home, MOH stuff, and then big transatlantic family cruise in June).

Last edited by a moderator:
Wake up to a plant explosion in my area of the country. What a way to start the day.

Fortunately no one was killed, that’s what’s being reported. Hope it stays that way.
I'm reading about the damage to homes miles away. I suppose it's fortunate that this happened overnight when there were few people onsite and walking the grounds. But that over pressure wave had to have caused some sort of injury.

False.  I did not receive such an email.
Do you work for an agency with a functional HR department?
Well obviously the answer is " hell no", because few if any agencies have a functional HR department.
I don't have a functional HR department. But they're really good at reminding us about TSP elections and the like.
Our HR department...tries their 'okay'.  Sometimes things get done.  A majority of the time, they kinda get pushed along.

I think I heard when I was getting hired, and HR were being slow/almost made me not accept the offer, that the HR departments aren't actually part of the agency that they are staffed at.  That the HR is its own separate monster in the agencies, which is why they are sometimes jerks about things.

I think I heard when I was getting hired ... that the HR departments aren't actually part of the agency that they are staffed at.  That the HR is its own separate monster in the agencies, which is why they are sometimes jerks about things.
Depends on the agency. Larger ones have their own HR that serves the entire agency. Sub-components rarely have their own HR departments, but they may have liasons and reps; the result is that becomes difficult to get HR to take ownership in the mission and the process. In effect, HR is just another administrative support unit that owes no accountability to the sub-component.

Smaller agencies may outsource their HR to a HR unit in another agency. That never works well. The outsourced HR views the other agencies work as "other duties as assigned" and takes no ownership AT ALL in the mission of the other agency; that work always comes last.

Depends on the agency. Larger ones have their own HR that serves the entire agency. Sub-components rarely have their own HR departments, but they may have liasons and reps; the result is that becomes difficult to get HR to take ownership in the mission and the process. In effect, HR is just another administrative support unit that owes no accountability to the sub-component.

Smaller agencies may outsource their HR to a HR unit in another agency. That never works well. The outsourced HR views the other agencies work as "other duties as assigned" and takes no ownership AT ALL in the mission of the other agency; that work always comes last.
That sounds like a shit-show and I'm not too terribly surprised.  I think we have a HR the serves the entire agency, which is weird, because they're obviously doing other stuff than just this location, so response time is slow, but they're physically located here?  So they always seem surprised when someone is like, "Let's meet in person and discuss."

Eh.  Idk, not going to poke my nose too far down that badger hole.

On a side note, concerning all the accent talk yesterday: when I sing = no accent at all.  All the 'ing' and 'R's are present and accounted for.  I wonder if singing pulls from a different location than normal speech?

That sounds like a shit-show and I'm not too terribly surprised.  I think we have a HR the serves the entire agency, which is weird, because they're obviously doing other stuff than just this location, so response time is slow, but they're physically located here?  So they always seem surprised when someone is like, "Let's meet in person and discuss."

Eh.  Idk, not going to poke my nose too far down that badger hole.
lol, just wait until you become a supervisor

Like I implied earlier, just because they are colocated in the same building, it doesn't mean you work for the same master. For instance, they may be under more pressure to hire additional medical and admin staff, than they are for facilities and support services.

On a side note, concerning all the accent talk yesterday: when I sing = no accent at all.  All the 'ing' and 'R's are present and accounted for.  I wonder if singing pulls from a different location than normal speech?
I'm going to get the terms messed up, but here we go:

Singing opens up the mouth, throat, and does different things with the tongue; adding emphasis to nearly everything. The tropes dominate speech patterns more than the words. In effect, singing becomes it's own accent within the language  - with different singing styles having different "accents".

I'm reading about the damage to homes miles away. I suppose it's fortunate that this happened overnight when there were few people onsite and walking the grounds. But that over pressure wave had to have caused some sort of injury.
Injuries and damage yes. No one killed, and hope it stays that way as they get this under control and get it out.

I'm going to get the terms messed up, but here we go:

Singing opens up the mouth, throat, and does different things with the tongue; adding emphasis to nearly everything. The tropes dominate speech patterns more than the words. In effect, singing becomes it's own accent within the language  - with different singing styles having different "accents".
Def agree.  When I sing French I find the placement of my tongue and vowels different from German, and Italian is def more forward.  It's most interesting when I sing an English song.  Tbh, when I sing pop I know my singing sounds different than when I sing 'classical' English-language songs.  I think it's neat how our brain works like that and language is so different.

Also, when talking to my mom she said she didn't have an accent.  In a heavy LI accent.  She then went on a rant about raking leaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back