October 2019 15k SPAM Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't like how to old generations confuse millennial with Gen Z. I worked with some older people and whenever they see in the news or wherever some kid doing something stupid, they talk about those "darn millennials."
and enter "ok boomer" 

but yes I agree. They're lumping everyone <20yo as a millennial when in fact, they're Z. 

If you can, automatic contribution increases are useful. Also, I've heard it's good practice that anytime you get a raise to put part of it towards your contribution. They say it makes it a lot easier since you don't get used to the increase in pay. Idk haven't tried it yet.
:plusone:

you should try it. it works great

I feel like I need to get married based on all these conversations...but I like living on my own, going to restaurants, and traveling, without having to tell anyone.

At least I'm kinda saving for retirement?
I don't think you need to get married 

edit: unless you want to 

Last edited by a moderator:
I have zero issue calling myself a millenial. But as a 30yo my experience growing up is different than the kid born in 1995 (or in 1980) and that's due to the rate of change with technology. I think it's a fascinating read
That's true that with technology changing quicker than it did 70 years ago, generations today have much larger gaps in experiences growing up.

If you can, automatic contribution increases are useful. Also, I've heard it's good practice that anytime you get a raise to put part of it towards your contribution. They say it makes it a lot easier since you don't get used to the increase in pay. Idk haven't tried it yet.
:plusone:

you should try it. it works great

yeah, i have that option. at the new year, i'll likely set it up. just a whole lot of changes right now and i'm not a huge fan of change. it's why i work with utilities 

I'm a millennial. My magic number is going to end up being 70. I'll likely be able to retire much earlier than that, but I'll probably retire around then.

I expect to make it past 90 based on family history. Going out at 55 means 35 years of less-than-full activity. I'm too type-A for a lifestyle like that for that long.
Yeah, I need to figure something out like my dad.  He was a band teacher, who taught lessons, so when he 'retired' he just kept teaching lessons and took on more gigs.  So he's still making money/working after he retired.  He's turning 65 early next year and I can tell he's starting to get 'tried-tired' so he might slowly start phasing stuff out and just go traveling more with my mom.  He's pretty much like, "Once we sell the LI house and move to the upstate house, I really don't need to do anything else"

That's true that with technology changing quicker than it did 70 years ago, generations today have much larger gaps in experiences growing up.
this and also pop culture references too within the millennial bracket are so different  

I feel like I need to get married based on all these conversations...but I like living on my own, going to restaurants, and traveling, without having to tell anyone.

At least I'm kinda saving for retirement?
:2cents:

I love being married, but it's indeed not for everyone. I never noticed it causing a burden, I think it actually helps me get out and do more. Even more so with kids.

I don't think you need to get married 

edit: unless you want to 
Nah.  Really don't want to put the work in for dating/relationships/marriage.

Would much rather just chill with new people, join some meetups, and figure out if I really want to buy a house or just invest/keep renting (aka; I'm not sure I want to be tied down to a location so early in life, especially if I don't have kids/SO).

I just hate being lumped into a box as if my personally is tied to my generation. Though my personality was developed by my experiences growing up, I was never part of my generation's pop culture.

Nah.  Really don't want to put the work in for dating/relationships/marriage.

Would much rather just chill with new people, join some meetups, and figure out if I really want to buy a house or just invest/keep renting (aka; I'm not sure I want to be tied down to a location so early in life, especially if I don't have kids/SO).
Buy a house, and when you want to move just rent it out. Have someone else pay your mortgage while your equity grows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back