October 2019 15k SPAM Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For the reduced expense ratio of 0.04 to 0.03, it is not worth the time and effort. Mutual funds and ETFs are fundamentally different in that ETFs are bought and sold like stock where you have to buy and sell in shares where a mutual fund has a price that is set at the end of each trading day, so you you can buy and sell fractions of shares. Vanguard has a decent breakdown on their website https://investor.vanguard.com/etf/etf-vs-mutual-fund

You cannot just convert them because they are fundamentally different things. I wouldn’t worry about trying to get into ETFs from your index funds with only that small of a difference. Those are some of the same index funds that I have as well. You could start to contribute to an equivalent ETF instead of the index fund going forward, but I wouldn’t worry about trying to make that transition. That is basically the advise that I have been able to discern from financial advisors online and the blogs, newsletters, and webinars from Vanguard that I have seen. 
Okay.  That's what I was hoping to hear.  I haven't been contributing to the Vanguard account, since it was a rollover from a previous employment 401k, and I'm still trying to figure out what I'm doing with this.  I think my future plan that I've been tinkering with has been to move one of my Roth IRA savings over to Vanguard and throw some more into the US stocks index fund I already have and then maybe 25% of it into a target fund (just so I don't go too crazy).  And then just ignore it/peek in every year or so to move things around if necessary. 

I also have traditional/Roth 401k accounts at fidelity from a different employer that I think I'm going to rollover into my TSP instead of opening a new account at Fidelity.  Then I can figure out what funds I want to do with my TSP, I was thinking a 75/25 mix of C Fund/L Fund to cover the S&P 500 and another lifecycle fund.  It just sucks that I can't move my Roth IRA into the TSP, but I think I can do that at Vanguard, so I'll be okay?  Ugh.  I am horrible at this stuff, but I'm slowly teaching myself so I don't sound like a total idiot/I'll only be a half-wit.

I've got 14, right now. It was 11 when I got up, this morning.
I'm not sure what the earlier temp was, I didn't look.

I think I need to pull out a real jacket - I'm wearing a winter running jacket (Saucony Siberius from a few years ago) that I can't wear running and it's definitely not enough. But I don't wanna pull out my actual winter coat yet 

Then I can figure out what funds I want to do with my TSP, I was thinking a 75/25 mix of C Fund/L Fund to cover the S&P 500 and another lifecycle fund.
There's nothing stopping you from doing that. But just remember that the L funds are just a mixture of the other funds already. For instance, right now L50 is 40% C, 29% I, 13% S, 11% G, 8% F. So you're proposed mix is really just making your account 85% C, 7.5% I, and the rest are the more conservative funds.

Again, there's nothing wrong with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back