October 2019 15k SPAM Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, your health insurance as a state employee is worse than your prior private sector health insurance? This seems backwards to me. I was a state employee for 9 months once upon a time, and I'm pretty sure I'll never get that good of health insurance again...

Unless I were to go on my husband's current health insurance, which is incredibly good! But would cost too much out of pocket for our lifestyle, being relatively young, healthy people who don't get sick that often (knocks on wood).
Eh, tbh, I think it's comparable with private coming ahead?  I'm not a state employee, I'm federal (believe me, I wish I could have been a NYS employee, but they were reaaaaally low-balling me on salary and giving me no incentive to actually move upstate).  Base payment for my insurance has gone down, but because I have a HDHP, I have 'additional' funds that I deposit into that account for tax purposes.  Govt' doesn't contribute as much as private (govt contributes I think $900/year and private contributed I think $1500?), so I'm making up that difference with my deductions.  I believe the calendar year deductible is $1500 vs private $2000, and the in-network benefits are pretty good (5% of plan allowance is the most I'll spend if I stay in-network).

I haven't actually attempted to go to the doctor with my new insurance, but it has dental and vision with it, so that's nice.  The big thing with my private insurance is that it had a lot of 'perks' that someone like me (youngish, healthyish, doesn't get sick often) could take advantage of without going to the doctor.  I just liked having that gym stipend and nutrition stipend.

Top Post Count Update

squaretaper PE

Chattaneer

MadamPirate

RBHeadge PE

Will.I.Am

LyceeFruit

P-E

Chebyshevll PE

JayKay PE

matt267 PE

civilrobot