October 2019 15k SPAM Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So they had all of the spices - yay!

Now I'm wondering if I can sub white onions for the yellow onions the recipe calls for? I have to go get chicken anyway so it isn't a big deal to buy them, I just have 2 white onions at home. 

It also gives me the option of dicing up roma tomatoes or using a 15oz can of crushed. Anyone have opinions? 
I dont think it should make a big difference. I personally prefer the red onions.

I have cooked with fresh as well as crushed tomatoes and it tastes pretty similar. The crushed will cook faster. 

Last edited by a moderator:
So they had all of the spices - yay!

Now I'm wondering if I can sub white onions for the yellow onions the recipe calls for? I have to go get chicken anyway so it isn't a big deal to buy them, I just have 2 white onions at home. 

It also gives me the option of dicing up roma tomatoes or using a 15oz can of crushed. Anyone have opinions? 
I agree with @NikR, I've used fresh and canned tomatoes and frankly, I can't tell the difference so I just stick with being lazy (canned).

I would also make a cornstarch slurry (1-2 teaspoons of cornstarch with a tablespoon or two of water, mixed up with your fingers) and let the chicken soak in that for 30-45 minutes in the fridge (trick I learned from MamaSquaretaper). Makes the meat moist and tender even after stewing for a long time. Sort of serves the same function as a buttermilk soak but at 1/100 the cost.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with @NikR, I've used fresh and canned tomatoes and frankly, I can't tell the difference so I just stick with being lazy (canned).

I would also make a cornstarch slurry (1-2 teaspoons of cornstarch with a tablespoon or two of water, mixed up with your fingers) and let the chicken soak in that for 30-45 minutes in the fridge (trick I learned from MamaSquaretaper). Makes the meat moist and tender even after stewing for a long time. Sort of serves the same function as a buttermilk soak but at 1/100 the cost.
This is the recipe I'm using: https://smittenkitchen.com/2019/10/chicken-curry/ 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back