Oct 2019 - Failing scores

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NCEES just released their pass rates for the October 2019 exam.  https://ncees.org/engineering/pe/pass-rates/

For context, I have the last pass rates.  Feel free to check my math, but it seems like this test was harder than previous tests.

October 2019 - Overall pass rate - (1106 x 50% + 726 x 26%) / (1106 + 726) = 40.4%

April 2019 - Overall pass rate - 50%

October 2018 - Overall pass rate - 43%

April 2018 - Overall pass rate - 49%

https://www.engproguides.com/power-pe-survey.html
So as someone who took all 4 of those exams... April 2018 was the hardest in my opinion. With this one as second. 

Whoa 50%  pass rate? Is that the lowest it's been for first time takers ? Just curious

Last edited by a moderator:
40/80 Fail on the Power Exam

3rd time test taker for this one

image.png

The pass rate has been lower but that is significantly lower than average.

Nothing I can do about it obviously, would just like to say that's actually F'in insane that the "First time test takers" literally have a coin-flip at passing. 50% seems a little absurd. Seems like higher up management should either take a look at it, or the industry needs to realize how low these pass rates seem to keep going for first time takers. The amount of money/instant promotions needs to be following the trend of going up, if these pass rates keep going down. 

/endrant I'm sorry 

Well, as a first time test taker, I was certain I failed but ended up passing within a reasonable margin.  Definitely thought the Power PE was very hard, but it seems like everyone feels that way with their exam cycle, and deserving so!

I majored in mechanical engineering and passed power on my first shot only 4 years out of college.  Also work in heavy electrical construction, so don’t come across a crazy amount of theory. Spent about 200 Hours self studying... Go figure 

The pass rate is ridiculously low compared to historical numbers and other disciplines. They really need to adjust something to make it more equitable for engineers taking the Power exam. There would be more than a hundred more passers with a comparable pass rate to other disciplines. 

Here are the pass rates over the years. https://ppi2pass.com/pe-exam/resources/pe-exam-pass-rates/historical-pe-exam-pass-rates
I think pass rates are very difficult to quantify because you don't have a controlled group to take the exam each cycle.

38/80, second time. What's funny is that my first time (October 2018, That was 42/80) was even higher than October 2019

Disappointing, but that's how things are. I'll re-register and try again in April.

Is anyone doing a study group for April? I think I asked earlier this year and got no replies, I study better in a group than alone.

My score was 43/80 in October 2018.

I took it for the second time and scored 40/80 this past October.

I'm attaching both diagnostics.  I took the weekend to chill and reflect.  I'm still at a loss to explain how I could have possibly done worse.  How is it possible I got 50% of this wrong?  I must be way overconfident on the material I think I know.  

I've took Zach's course before the first exam and went heavier on timed practice exams the second time around.  I've taken NCEES, Graffeo, Eng Pro Guides (both of them including the one on Codes) and Zach Stone's practice exam, the one he issued last fall.  I have the Complex Imaginary exams, but never took any of them since I thought the ones mentioned above were more challenging and it was better to do those, even multiple times instead of CI.

I thought I put in plenty of time, but maybe I"m one of those students who just need more time for all this stuff to sink in.  

I'm open to any suggestions/advice.  Thanks in advance!

Diagnostic October 2018.jpg

Diagnostic October 2019.jpg

Looks like GA is out, but I haven't gotten my results.  Was searching numbers and they issued license today for examination.

My score was 43/80 in October 2018.

I took it for the second time and scored 40/80 this past October.

I'm attaching both diagnostics.  I took the weekend to chill and reflect.  I'm still at a loss to explain how I could have possibly done worse.  How is it possible I got 50% of this wrong?  I must be way overconfident on the material I think I know.  

I've took Zach's course before the first exam and went heavier on timed practice exams the second time around.  I've taken NCEES, Graffeo, Eng Pro Guides (both of them including the one on Codes) and Zach Stone's practice exam, the one he issued last fall.  I have the Complex Imaginary exams, but never took any of them since I thought the ones mentioned above were more challenging and it was better to do those, even multiple times instead of CI.

I thought I put in plenty of time, but maybe I"m one of those students who just need more time for all this stuff to sink in.  

I'm open to any suggestions/advice.  Thanks in advance!

View attachment 15486

View attachment 15487
I feel like I studied about the same, with similar material. I took Zach's course twice for Oct 2018 and Apr 2017 and I thought both those times I had it in the bag and ended up doing about the same 40/80, 42/80. I personally know of someone passing the test with maybe 2 weekends of "studying" but then again I also believe there is a heavy amount of luck involved in this test.. In any event, I am not going to bother with theory too much, I'm simply going to try to just get more and more familiar with problems and references to better navigate the test. There are some areas where I simply won't be able to master enough to do well on an exam like this. I have accepted the fact that it will take multiple attempts for me to pass this test but I will keep going until it's over with!! This was my 4th attempt. Don't give up!! I may buy the PPI practice exam book this time around. 

I got 37 and this was my first time taking the test.  I didn't feel great after I took the exam, but I didn't feel like I did worse than 50%.  Makes me feel like I not only failed the test, but bombed it.  I'm going to grind on practice tests through PPI. That's what I just did not have time for when studying for the test.  My work load was not ideal for studying in the months and weeks prior to the test.  The outlook is looking better for the April exam as far as my work load is concerned.

diagnostics.JPG

Back