Oct 2018 Environmental

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
List of reference I carried to the exam. I believe you don't need anything else to pass 

Lindeberg Environmental Engineering Reference Manual- 
Introduction to Environmental Engineering by Davis and Cornwell 
Wastewater Engineering by Metcalf & Eddy- 
Hazardous Waste Management 2nd edition by M.D.LaGrega P.L.Buckingham,J.C.Evans.  
Engineering Unit Conversions- Lindeberg

Practical Design Calculations for Groundwater and Soil Remediation, 2nd Edition – Kuo

Air Pollution Control, Cooper & Alley* 
Water Supply and Pollution Control 6th ed - Viessman & Hammer 
Basic Environmental Technology, 6th Edition – Nathanson & Schnieder
Environmental Law Handbook, by Christopher Bell, William Brownell et. all 

RCRA Orientation Manual 2011 - 

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations to all those who passed!  Please go to the Consolidated Advice Thread Environmental PE exam board to list all of the courses, references and problems you worked.  

Do you know what the cutoff score was?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats to all that passed enviro :D

I hope to take the exam next year but with the cbt switch,  im really lost as to how to study. Seems like the paper exam is already tough as is,  but now that its "closed book" not sure if it'll be tougher? But then again the chemical cbt pass rate is pretty high 😖

Congrats to all that passed enviro :D

I hope to take the exam next year but with the cbt switch,  im really lost as to how to study. Seems like the paper exam is already tough as is,  but now that its "closed book" not sure if it'll be tougher? But then again the chemical cbt pass rate is pretty high 😖
My best advice would be to work through as many practice problems as you can, all while familiarizing yourself with the manual. CBT will still be tough, but my guess is the test will not be quite *as* broad since you won't have all the references to bring in.  It may be good to wait a bit until after CBT is implemented so you can see what other's experiences were, and for prep courses to tailor their materials to a CBT focus.

My best advice would be to work through as many practice problems as you can, all while familiarizing yourself with the manual. CBT will still be tough, but my guess is the test will not be quite *as* broad since you won't have all the references to bring in.  It may be good to wait a bit until after CBT is implemented so you can see what other's experiences were, and for prep courses to tailor their materials to a CBT focus.
Thanks! I def will wait a few months to see how others did on the cbt version. I still plan on taking SOPE courses though. Did you by any chance take this course? If so, did you take the live classes or on-demand? Im leaning towards on-demand mainly because my work schedule is so busy during the week,  and i'll be able to watch the recordings on the weekends at my own pace. But i hope i wont be missing anything important during the live courses haha

Did you feel like your undergraduate and/or graduate studies helped at all to prepare you for the PE?

Surprisingly, I found both my undergraduate AND graduate school experience helped IMMENSELY. Many of the questions were answered *correctly based on my educational experience.

I got a BEng and MEng in Environmental Engineering, but from two different schools. I think the Environmental PE was tailored very well to the actual Environmental Engineering curriculum. Don't know how it was for those of you who majored in Civil and took the Enviro exam.

*I think, at least

Congrats to all that passed enviro 😊

I failed three times and I am planning to take it after April since it will be CBT. I do not know if it is going to be harder. Which courses do you think is the best to cover the Environmental exam topics? 

Did you feel like your undergraduate and/or graduate studies helped at all to prepare you for the PE?

Surprisingly, I found both my undergraduate AND graduate school experience helped IMMENSELY. Many of the questions were answered *correctly based on my educational experience.

I got a BEng and MEng in Environmental Engineering, but from two different schools. I think the Environmental PE was tailored very well to the actual Environmental Engineering curriculum. Don't know how it was for those of you who majored in Civil and took the Enviro exam.

*I think, at least
It was very difficult for me, and I majored in Civil :(  I did not pass. I really wanted to pass because it was my last chance to take it on paper. 

Any advice for April's exam?

It was very difficult for me, and I majored in Civil :(  I did not pass. I really wanted to pass because it was my last chance to take it on paper. 

Any advice for April's exam?
I majored in Civil too.  Took me 3 tries before I finally passed. I plan on doing a write-up in the Enviro section, but what finally pushed me over the edge was doing as many problems as I possibly could.  Taking EET's water resources & environmental prep course also helped me strengthen my considerable weaknesses in that subject.  

I majored in Civil too.  Took me 3 tries before I finally passed. I plan on doing a write-up in the Enviro section, but what finally pushed me over the edge was doing as many problems as I possibly could.  Taking EET's water resources & environmental prep course also helped me strengthen my considerable weaknesses in that subject.  
Civil here too. Passed first time, but I didn't feel real great leaving the test. It really covers a lot, and I have no idea how you're supposed to know some of the stuff without the extra resources once it transitions to CBT.

Water was a struggle for me, but I focused on working the practice problems and being comfortable with formulas and how to set up the problems. That's what helped me the most.

*I think, at least
To tell the truth, my undergraduate degree didn't help me at all because it was in a completely different field (material/metallurgy).  My graduate degree did help (it was in environmental water systems), but a lot of the practical/field application questions were from work.  I do a lot of monitoring/regulatory work nowadays, so RCRA/TSCA stuff were right up my alley, as well as soil/air/groundwater sampling.  I did have a lot of trouble with air stuff, but the material ratios etc. worked really well with my organic chem background.  Just multiply across, cancel, and your units should be okay!

I do think I made the correct decision to try to Enviro exam before it changed to CBT instead of trying to pass under the Civil umbrella (SoPE was okay for the civil morning, but the depth was not so good when compared to the NCEES questions).  I'm just worried for the future CBT takers because the references NCEES made did have some pretty frequent errors/only listed one formula when there are sometimes multiple different ways to solve an equation (like from a chemistry point of view instead of an 'engineer' point of view made some of the questions very simplistic).  I think you might have to study even more with CBT so you have a good foundation for when NCEES asks more of a practical field question like "How do drill field augers have to be decontaminated when working on a PCB-impacted that is being managed under TSCA regulations?", which wouldn't be in their reference book, but if you study enough you know it'd probably involve kerosene.

Passed, first time taking the exam.

I spent about 6 months studying so that I didn't have to cram hard/lose all of my social life. Plus, I spent about 2 of those months working out of state so about all I could do was work and study :)  This was helpful, as I spent some time working transportation-adjacent before getting back to environmental. There were a few questions where I could answer directly from work experience.

Not sure how many I guessed on, but each segment of the exam took about 3 passes of the material to get me to a comfortable percentage answered.

I primarily used the EERM and the NCEES manual primarily. I had a suitcase

Back