Nutrition, Diet, and Exercise: Notes, Goals, and Resources (these people just keep talking about crossfit)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guess who can do a single leg glute bridge with her wonky leg?

Dry needling worked to open up some stuff (still a little tight, but -WOW- did not expect this much of a difference over two days), and PT at home is getting slightly easier to finish. My next session is on Tuesday. Second week. Tbh, I did not think completing PT would help so much so quickly!

We are on week nine of our squat progressive overload series in my ELITE FITNESS class. The first three weeks were regular back squats, the second three weeks were box squats, and these final three weeks have been pause squats. Today, even though I ran a 15K yesterday, I went up on the pause squat. Next week we test our back squat to see how we've done over the ten weeks total. My max back squat at the end of the first three weeks was 150 lbs. I hit 155 max on box squats and today I hit 140 on 3-sec pause squats. I'm nervous and excited to test that 1RM back squat next week.

I also signed up for a separate clean and jerk and snatch technique class. Those two lifts are ones that are fine until I think about it and then it's all over. I haven't been able to break 100-lb on the clean and I think it's because everything falls apart when I think about the numbers. I'm excited to spend from the end of October on into January just working on those lifts.

Lol. I just got charged by my gym today. I have not been there since August 26th and I asked them to cancel last month. Let's see what their response is before I dispute through my credit card.
Yay! Refunded and future months cancelled!

Got more dry needling last night. It def does make a difference (at least to me). My PT does the needling before I do my actual PT exercises, so I guess it's better to get the trigger points gone before I start doing the work? I know that dry needling/acupuncture is viewed as kind of a 'quack' medicine, but the dry needling seems to be working more as a tool in addition to my PT exercises to help me stretch the muscles. Like, the dry needling isn't being used to address pain, it's being used to address temporary trigger point release, which then lets me stretch the muscle out and hopefully prevent it from getting super tight again.

But the PT was super surprised I was still so tight after he dry needled me on Thursday. I guess my leg is just damaged and we're doing our best.

I had good luck with dry needling with the PT I used in the past as well. He said that the bad spots would feel like trying to dry needle a hard lump of clay, and would frequently bend the needles. But when he got a good spot, it would feel like lightning struck, but that area would actually release from its contraction. Matches up a lot with what my gym owner noted during our training session - that the muscles weren't weak, just overworked and not releasing, which is why I now warm up with exercises to specifically target the contract/release.

I had good luck with dry needling with the PT I used in the past as well. He said that the bad spots would feel like trying to dry needle a hard lump of clay, and would frequently bend the needles. But when he got a good spot, it would feel like lightning struck, but that area would actually release from its contraction. Matches up a lot with what my gym owner noted during our training session - that the muscles weren't weak, just overworked and not releasing, which is why I now warm up with exercises to specifically target the contract/release.
I feel like dry needling is equivalent to a super short/super targeted deep tissue massage. It won't cure what ails you, but it'll make you feel good enough that you can take actions to help with the pain (like the stretches or exercises that help keep the muscle un-contracted). My muscles are so tight in that one area, but it's crazy how easy some exercises are becoming with the PT. Like, I can squat! And not fall in!

Back