Nutrition, Diet, and Exercise: Notes, Goals, and Resources (these people just keep talking about crossfit)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Platypus Engineer don't you say **** about potato bread. That is my annual guilty pleasure. I wish I could have it more, but I've kinda rotated into loving Dave's Killer bread.
+1, I will happily take over the carbz others are giving up. Mmmm! Das ist Brot und Brot ist gut.

Yeah, I used to drink a ton of diet soda, but the bloating/sugar response from the sweeteners made me feel like crap after a while and made me hungrier because I'd have an empty belly. I'm going through the same thing where I have one 'cheat day' a week where I can drink and one 'cheat day' where I can go over my calories of 1800/day. If they happen to fall on the same day, sucks for me.

@Platypus Engineer don't you say **** about potato bread. That is my annual guilty pleasure. I wish I could have it more, but I've kinda rotated into loving Dave's Killer bread.
I eat the Dave's Killer bagels, they are good.

I tried the diet sodas but all I could taste was the sweetener. So I just have a regular soda as a cheat a couple times a month.
Or a Coke Slurpee to completely go off the rails

I eat the Dave's Killer bagels, they are good.

I tried the diet sodas but all I could taste was the sweetener. So I just have a regular soda as a cheat a couple times a month.
Or a Coke Slurpee to completely go off the rails
The "zero" or "zero sugar" version of the sodas taste very close to the regular version. "Diet" versions taste very different due to the type of sugar substitute used.

I didn't go to the gym last night. They had something crazy and I just kinda was like...nope. I'm okay. I used skipping the gym to go and buy a pair of wireless earbuds, since I keep forgetting that my new phone doesn't have a headphone jack and it enrages me. I'm still hating meal prepping, but I do like that it makes my mornings a little less hectic since I can just 'grab and go' versus trying to make something.

Dinner last night was Tyson chicken strips. I have a huge bag in my freezer I have to finish sometime soon. I've also got to reorganize my freezer or something because I cannot see what goodies I have in there. I def feel like there is a corned beef lurking somewhere.

it depends on the bread. I limit it and eat only wheat bread. I personally don't like whole grain and completely avoid the fat and calorie bomb that is potato bread.
Yeah, if you’re buying grocery store bread, you’ve definitely gotta be careful. I generally make our bread myself by hand, so I know exactly how much of what goes in it (spoiler alert: 500 g of flour, 425 g of water, 15 g of salt, and starter [which is flour and water] is all it usually is). And, for as much as I bake, we actually don’t even eat this bread all the time! Maybe once or twice a week, and certainly not every day.

We don’t have the typical sodas in our house, either. We buy a four pack of ginger beer every couple of weeks, to use for either dark and stormies or to split over dinner once or twice a week. Everything in moderation!

One week since weigh-in at endo, down right around 8.5 lbs. Starting to get full quicker, feeling just a bit hungry in the mornings as opposed to starving. All the stress from the pet problems are helping I'm sure. When I get mildly stressed, I overeat. When I'm REALLY stressed, I eat like a bird.

Congrats on losing some, Supe! I'm still trying to be more 'realistic' on what I want to eat versus what is healthier. Myfitnesspal says I could technically eat something like 2000 calories a day since I work out a little bit, and if I didn't work out at all I think my 'maintaining' calories is something like 1780 (according to them)? I just rounded the number to something more 'normal' for my brain to 1800 calories a day and I'm trying hard to not go over that amount, even if I go to the gym. It's only been a week or two, but I think I've lost like a half pound?

Myfitnesspal says I could technically eat something like 2000 calories a day since I work out a little bit, and if I didn't work out at all I think my 'maintaining' calories is something like 1780 (according to them)? I just rounded the number to something more 'normal' for my brain to 1800 calories a day
There is a YUUUGE rift between what MFP says I can eat by the end of the day versus what the Fitbit (with heart rate) says I expended. So, I'm still working on reconciling that and/or I might drop FitBit (edit: like something fancier, Garmin? iono).

In an attempt to understand by own body, I think on days when I'm just sitting all day being an engineering point mass lump I could probably get away with 1200 kcals just to be alive. But I don't really trust the FitBit numbers so I think unless I'm training for the Olympics, breaking 2000 kcal/day is pretty extreme even with exercise. The trouble is...I *could* eat 4500 kcal b/c I'm a fattie!

There is a YUUUGE rift between what MFP says I can eat by the end of the day versus what the Fitbit (with heart rate) says I expended. So, I'm still working on reconciling that and/or I might drop FitBit (edit: like something fancier, Garmin? iono).

In an attempt to understand by own body, I think on days when I'm just sitting all day being an engineering point mass lump I could probably get away with 1200 kcals just to be alive. But I don't really trust the FitBit numbers so I think unless I'm training for the Olympics, breaking 2000 kcal/day is pretty extreme even with exercise. The trouble is...I *could* eat 4500 kcal b/c I'm a fattie!
TBH, my fitbit screen is going and I don't know if I want to buy another one? I like that we have the daily competition, but I also like...just having a normal wrist watch again. According to my fitbit, I burn around 1950 calories on days where I do nothing (just go to work and then come home/no walking or working out), so MFP seems to be kinda on the nose for me at least. I think if I was actually able to work from home, I'd prob be eating even less because I wouldn't be using it as a stalling tactic.

I think I just want to try and track calories more and get to a reasonable number. 1950+ calories a day, when MFP said I could eat that much, felt like I got too out of control. 1700 calories made me feel like I was starving and I ended up binge eating/grabbing whatever. The 1800 calorie choice by me is just enough that I can eat a little something 'not healthy' each day but not totally destroy everything. Idk.

The 1800 calorie choice by me is just enough that I can eat a little something 'not healthy' each day but not totally destroy everything. Idk.
The Squares descend from a long line of eaters, I get it.

TBH, my fitbit screen is going and I don't know if I want to buy another one? I like that we have the daily competition, but I also like...just having a normal wrist watch again.
I'm with you, I love the social/goading/encouragment? aspect of it, but like you I also like wearing a normal watch (and I have cool ones!) and I think there are better products out there now (again, Garmin?). Mostly, I'm on a 226-day 10k streak and I just want to break the 1 year mark. After that, idgaf what happens, hahaha.

Thankfully I'm not having to track calories right now. If the portion size is the same as what I'd normally eat, I just ask myself "is this healthier/lower in calorie than usual", and if yes, I'll eat it, if no, I'll reduce the portion size.

If I know its truly junk food, I flat won't eat it for the most part.

It's amazing just how big a difference pre-portioning something can make. Like, if I miss breakfast and don't want a full meal because its close to lunch, I'll eat a few crackers with hummus, but I'll take the crackers out of the bag up front and then put the rest away in the pantry before eating. Before, I would just leave them out until I decided I was done, and before you know it, a whole sleeve of them is gone.

Garmin Fan-kid here- I have a Forerunner 935 to track everything. It's overkill if you're just running or doing steps, but it's my everything for daily activity, long bike rides, runs, all that. The battery life on it is 16 hours of on-GPS and it will last for weeks if I just use it as a steps tracker.

This is the thing...I really like the fitbit app way more than MFP, but I just wish there was a way to track my steps/heart rate without having to use a watch. Idk. Once the fitbit dies, I'll be free to go back to wearing my old lady watch (my graduation seiko, and maybe some of my more expensive ones, if I can find them...)

Back